Cloning a hard drive

Skatester07

After cloning a hard drive do you need to re-install the games that you cloned on to the new hard drive? 

Nope, it should be all good to go!  I cloned quite a few drives when we were upgrading a lot of our computers to SSDs, and once the cloning was done, I just shut off the computers, swapped the drives, turned them back on, and everything was still there and working.

Well idk what happened with mine because I did the cloning and swapped the hard drives but when I went to load up a game it tried to look for it on the old drive and couldn’t find it. And when I tried to directly load it through the new clone it would load up. Any ideas?

On 11/28/2018 at 9:31 AM, Skatester07 said:

Wellwon't idk what happened with mine because I did the cloning and swapped the hard drives but when I went to load up a game it tried to look for it on the old drive and couldn’t find it.

So it won'y load on the old drive...

On 11/28/2018 at 9:31 AM, Skatester07 said:

And when I tried to directly load it through the new clone it would load up. Any ideas?

But then it only loads on the new hard drive...

That's so weird! ? When you clone a drive the same information that's on the old drive should continue to be there regardless the number of clones you do from that hard drive. If for whatever reason the old drive is no longer able to open the application/game it may be that it just got corrupted. Fortunately you just did a clone but what a coincidence that it stopped working right after it was cloned. Your problem is not normal but the coincidences are, you won't be the first one or the last one person who experiences something like this, it has happened to me before and it has happened to many people, the worst thing is when you are working with one of your customers and after attempts to fix one thing another thing fails, they blame you and is not funny trust me ? but coincidences happen and they happen all the time, just reinstall the game.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Check that the drive letters didn't get changed.

And if they did use computer management or the cloning software to change the letter back.

Can happen sometimes when cloning -if using more than one hard drive in a system.

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards

• 3 weeks later...

How are you guys cloning the hard drives? My SSD is completely out of space so I need to update. I've never had to clone my drive before so I'm curious what software your using.

Thx!

I like this EaseUS between the several reliable options out there:

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

49 minutes ago, Mordecaidrake said:

How are you guys cloning the hard drives? My SSD is completely out of space so I need to update. I've never had to clone my drive before so I'm curious what software your using.

Thx!

Macrium Reflect Free. I've had excellent luck with it.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I've also used Acronis and I like that one too, but EaseUS is always on my mind, it's what comes first when they ask me (Am I in love?):