End of windows XP reminder!!!

brownninja97

Just a reminder to you and your family, windows xp support is ending on april 8th, my grandfathers xp machine isnt being updated anyways with anything already. I urge you to get any xp users to upgrade as soon as possible.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Just because support is ending, doesn't mean that it's unusable. For most applications where XP is still being used, there is no reason to upgrade.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Upgrade from an OS that first came out in 2001, how many people are still using it?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Just because support is ending, doesn't mean that it's unusable. For most applications where XP is still being used, there is no reason to upgrade.

Updates for everything ends, programs will not install, security ends, viruses, maleware, rootkits go wild.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Upgrade from an OS that first came out in 2001, how many people are still using it?

Most computer's in my school still use it. I have an old Netbook that I want to use for school, but that might be replaced with the new Transformer that Asus announced at CES. 

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Jesus I know it is a good OS but move with the times lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Its easy for you, but if someone own a small company, upgrade of all computers can be pricey and not necessary.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Just to add to Frankie's post above mine, a lot of industrial machines need XP. Buying new software licenses every single PC and machine would easily cost the company an insanely huge amount of money, not to mention the fact that many of the older machines might not be compatible with newer OS's.. They're not going to throw out tons of perfectly functional CNC machines (that may cost well over $100000 apiece) just because newer versions of Windows have been released..

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Just to add to Frankie's post above mine, a lot of industrial machines need XP. Buying new software licenses every single PC and machine would easily cost the company an insanely huge amount of money, not to mention the fact that many of the older machines might not be compatible with newer OS's.. They're not going to throw out tons of perfectly functional CNC machines (that may cost well over $100000 apiece) just because newer versions of Windows have been released..

I don't think that is the consumer  version of XP...

or is it??

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

My dad still has a dell he occasionally uses that has xp on it, but he uses his hp with 8.1 on it most of the time.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

I stoped using xp on my one freebie found on side of house core 2 duo only cuz i had a vista key not being used and i didnt wanna pay 300 for a win 7 key for an iffy pc. Plus i loaned it to our roomate so he can skype his family thousand of miles away.

I believe the number stands at 35-40%. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Compatible with Windows 95

I still have my trusty Windows XP disk and code that I use to install on old laptops I get and stuff. (The laptops I actually use get Windows 7)

So much stuff still uses XP. Even ATM machines. That reminds me, if you ever use that thing at Stop & Shop that you weigh fruit on and it prints out a sticker with a barcode, there is a switch on the side that's a bit hard to press. That's a power switch. If you restart it you find that it has a 800MHz CPU and runs Windows CE. Then it boots into CE and stays on the desktop until you start the program that does the scanny stuff.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Guess its time for Windows XP users to switch to Linux to avoid getting exploited with viruses or upgrade unless you want to use this OS offline for games and applications to be safe. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Just a reminder to you and your family, windows xp support is ending on april 8th, my grandfathers xp machine isnt being updated anyways with anything already. I urge you to get any xp users to upgrade as soon as possible.

My grandmother still uses XP. She won't upgrade...

I have 3 or so pc's with xp that are not capable of running anything newer.

It's not like the day after updates end 1000's of viruses will infect your pc. The is no point in antivirus if you don't download a virus in the first place they can't just appear so as long as your carefull you can keep using xp for the next 10 years too.

I still have a pc with win 98 on it no viruses there and it even has IE 6!

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

Not all versions.Windows XP Embedded,Windows Embedded for Point of Service V1.1 is ending in 2016,Windows Embedded Standard 2009 and POSReady 2009 ends in 2019.However,only the POSReady 2009 and Windows Embedded for Point of Service will receive updates.

I am pretty sure some people will "hack" these 'specifically for Embedded series' updates and install them in normal XP versions.Although it could potentially cause system instability and legal issues.Definitely not something someone should do.

Most applications will still support XP,or the embedded system Manufacturers will rage.

It will be even more easy for hackers/virusses/other junk to get into. Sadly I know way too many people using xp, bye bye credit card information from buying online when they stay with xp.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

Not all versions.Windows XP Embedded,Windows Embedded for Point of Service V1.1 is ending in 2016,Windows Embedded Standard 2009 and POSReady 2009 ends in 2019.However,only the POSReady 2009 and Windows Embedded for Point of Service will receive updates.

I am pretty sure some people will "hack" these 'specifically for Embedded series' updates and install them in normal XP versions.Although it could potentially cause system instability and legal issues.Definitely not something someone should do.

Most applications will still support XP,or the embedded system Manufacturers will rage.

the people that need to upgrade dont know about these updates and back door updates.

Listen if you care.