Gigabyte Z370 OP motherboard not recognising second DIMM module

Gigabyte Z370 OP motherboard

CPU Intel Core  i5 8500

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Memory Corsair CMK16Gx4M2A2400C14 DDR4

When I insert both DIMMs into MB using slots 1 and 2 (or 3 and 4) the system starts to boot, stalls, shuts down and then restarts. It continues to do this until I turn power off.

When I put only 1 DIMM into any slot the system boots normally. However this defeats the purpose of buying matched 2 x 8GB DIMMs as I can only get half the memory I paid for.

I was not aware of the Gigabyte QVL until I read about it on your forum site. Having checked the QVL for my model DIMMs I note it is not listed. I cannot afford to dump these and go for something else that is on the QVL.

Is there any work around that will enable me to obtain the full 16GB to its full capability?

3 minutes ago, Peter Cupitt said:

When I insert both DIMMs into MB using slots 1 and 2 (or 3 and 4) the system starts to boot, stalls, shuts down and then restarts.

Is that slot 1 and 2 physically next to each other, or are they spaced out in alternating slots? Check your motherboard manual for memory installation. It may require memory to be installed in slots 1 & 3 for dual channel.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Optimal installation would be Slot 2&4 to properly utilize the dual channel memory. Here is a graphic straight from the Gigabyte manual for this board which can be found here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-GAMING-7-OP-rev-10#support-manual

image.thumb.png.c7ca7fe90f86bd5da9d562c795baa2f1.png

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I had this problem with my gigabyte X99 motherboard many years ago. Try inserting the 2nd DIMM in all the other slots and hope it works. If not, update the BIOS to the latest version and repeat the process.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

The slots I used are labelled 1 and 2 but are actually the first and third physical slots (channel B in the above diagram). So yes I did put them in the correct slots and the modules came as a matched pair. I can get the whole 16GB  if I use slots 1 and 3 (nominal numbering - actually 1 and two next to each other on the board) thus spreading the modules over both channels but the memory will not achieve the full dual channel mode.

I have updated the BIOS but it has made no difference. I am resorting to the DIMM modules in the first and second slots (one grey and one black - slots 1 and 3 in the above diagram). OK so I miss out on speed but at least I have the full 16GB of memory.

I checked with Gigabyte Tech Support and their only suggestion was also to update the BIOS otherwise they could offer no help.

Is anyone out there any the wiser?