Steam Boxes. Opinion please.

StormtrooperStu

I'm quiet surprised that most people choose good, it's not bad but I'd rather build my own and since I'm expecting everyone to be able to build their own system and pick the right hardware they should be able to build something better then available steam machines and at a better price

I don't see the point yet.

Until Steam OS becomes an established and strong competitor in the market, Steam Machines are nothing more than miniaturised PCs. They come with all the advantages of normal PCs as well as all the advantages, meaning the advantages and disadvantages of consoles remain identical. They're cheaper and remain a viable gaming platform for much longer.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Well I took the OP to refer specifically to Steam Boxes (packaged as such) not other computers, and then with the LOL's of what people were going through trying that early release of Steam OS and knowledge of how well <insert sarcasm> the video drivers work on Linux first hand, its best to wait. Agree, just use your current puter with the regular Windows Steam to get your game on, but I doubt the masses have more than one computer to play their games like Linus (streaming it). As for noise, are people playing on mute? I couldn't/can't hear people knocking/calling on the phone due to having the sound way up as it is, I'd be surprised if I could hear the computer even at load.

Regarding the volume, I think it's because they expect themselves to have the computer on at all times, because I can't think of anyone playing on mute or with that low volume they can hear they computer...

It's crazy how people talk about the most stupid and useless things... When you play on Xbox 360, it becomes really loud, but no-ones complaining about, how will a Steam-box be different?

And to respond to the OP in a way that makes sense:

No, I wouldn't buy a dedicated machine. For two simple reasons: 1, I already have a gaming system, 2, My student room is small enough to hook up my computer to my TV, 3, I'm a student I don't have any spare $2000...

But would I need a new system and not have any time, I would maybe go for a steambox and install a Linux distro on it with steam...

Because SteamOS and a SteamBox as combination for me is just an uber-expensive console (the only positive thing is you can install another version of Linux or Windows on it).

That French guy who lives in the Netherlands and speaks German.

steamOS is awesome

Steam boxes are awesome IF u dont have a gaming PC already or getting a new one because urz us really old.
the form factor is really awesome and honestly would probably buy one instead of making my own since they come in pretty nice cases

1.) Some of the offerings are confirmed to be able to be upgraded, and some of them are also reasonably priced. They have 13 manufactures confirmed, a $499-$4999 price range. I never even heard the word proprietary used in reference to a Steam machine before, as it's supposed to be an open platform.

2.) Have you used the Steam controller? Your following statement makes me think you have not, and you have not seen videos of people using it and their feedback. Feedback for the controller has been pretty positive. Most people seem to say it has a learning curve, but it is more precise than a standard controller. But if you don't like it, use whatever input device you want.

3.) It's been confirmed to be based on Debian. Ubuntu was an unconfirmed assumption people were making.

I think you need to look more into it, what you said is just flat wrong. 

1) I'm talking about the cases.  Pretty much every single one shown in like Dell's.

Ya you can swap out parts but in some cases you need to buy hardware that will fit

don't be surprised if you need to buy their parts, much like Dell owners need to buy Dell parts.

Check the Youtube of people with Steam machines taking them apart.

2) Not personally but there are a gazzilon videos showing it being used.

it's only slightly better then using a laptop touchpad.  Slide, lift, slide,. lift, slide lift.

It looks cool but it's a step backwards, a stick works, it's that simple.

3) Ok, but it's still not an independent OS made by valve, it's just another Linux distro

"SteamOS" is just marketing hype that makes for good copy.