is windows 7 professional really the best windows?

Yous3f_M
51 minutes ago, Sauron said:

In my experience, the more things change at once the harder it is to get back to normal.

I don't see why. When you make the change, all your programs and games will still be there. You'll just have access to whatever more the newer thing offers, if you need it. You also might not be immediately able to access some of your old s

All right, let's bet our user experience on pure speculation for basically no reason. Even if the next CEO is nominated tomorrow and decides there will be a windows 11, it will still take years for it to be ready to ship and when it does ship, it will be a buggy mess as per usual. Plus, it could very well be another vista or 8. I don't see the benefit.

Basing your actions on pure speculation for basically no reason is precisely what you're doing when you say "There won't be a windows major release after 10 that will allow you to skip it."

There's no need to assume that will be the case and right now update a Windows 7 system that could be fine security-update-wise for 2 - 5 more years out of that thinking.

Basing your actions on pure speculation is also what you're doing when you say "Sure, if delaying the inevitable for 3 more years makes things better for you...". Updating because it's inevitable very, very far off is updating pointlessly and out of fear-mongering. Might as well stop using Windows 10 right now, then, because it's going to become obsolete at some point in the future.

So, whether a person should or should not update a Windows 7 OS to a Windows 10 OS has nothing to do with how far off it will become inevitable, so long as that time isn't now. There is no benefit or accomplishment in updating Windows 7 to Windows 10 earlier rather than later without knowing specifically what it is about Windows 10 a person needs but doesn't currently have in Windows 7.

They can't backtrack and still add features to their platform. Expecting them to support Xp is like expecting them to support DOS.

It's not like supporting DOS, since there is nobody running DOS to access Steam and there has never been. And there are no Steam games that are released specifically to be run on DOS - DOS games on Steam already run in DOSBox. But, there are Steam users running Windows XP, who purchased games that were designed and released for XP.

Steam can support XP by releasing a one-off legacy client that is made up of the component of Valve's main client that simply enables an XP machine to access Valve's download servers to install games. That legacy client can be without any of Steam's newer features, and can also be without things like Steam-overlay and contacts panel support. I believe that's what Valve should be doing.

Says you, it took about 3 years from the official EOL for them to stop supporting Xp so it's perfectly possible it will be the same for 7.

What it actually took is Windows XP having a user-base of less than 0.3% of Valve's community, and Windows XP being a different OS than all the newer Windows OSes. Windows 7 will likely become unsupported the same time that Windows 8 and maybe Windows 10 do, since they're all so similar under the hood.

Sure, and if you want to stick to a pentium 3 for eternity you can still use windows 98. I don't think everyone should instantly upgrade to 10 if they have a laptop from 2008 - they can upgrade when they inevitably will need to buy new hardware - the ones who should are those buying a brand new custom desktop and then installing w7 on it.

So going back to the actual point of the conversation - you should not install windows 7 instead of 10 if you want to use windows at all.

I don't see what would make that last comment true.

Nonsense - NOBODY supports a fixed feature release for eternity, and quite frankly MS has been supporting old releases longer than pretty much anyone else. The rock and the hard place are the product of the customer insisting on using the same system forever.

But Windows 10 is still Windows 8, 7, and Vista under the hood, so we are still using the same OS since over 10 years ago. Why would people not be able to still use Windows 7 since the only functional differences between it and Windows 10, apart from artificial restrictions, are superficial?

...for example? If you say spying I'm going to laugh my ass off... you can't tell me with a straight face that you expect privacy from a windows OS.

You can certainly expect it from pre-2015 Windows 7.

Major updates are inherently risky, and the more of them a person does, the more frequent the risks are. Version 1809 of Windows 10 has again underscored this.

In addition to the threat of invasion of privacy from Microsoft, there are the major considerations of the safety of your data, the post-update stability of the OS, the compatibility between your programs and OS mods with the new version (Microsoft seem to deliberately break UI mods with each new version), the interruption of any work or processes that you're engaged in, the time it will take to test everything to make sure things are functioning properly and the time it will take to fix anything that goes wrong. There are still other considerations, I'm sure.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

12 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

It was the best in all categories in 2010, yes. Not anymore, though. It hasn't received any new features since around 2012 and it doesn't support all of the latest APIs and advancements made over the last few years. It's also going out of support in 14 months, after which it becomes a security hole and app support will go down rapidly. 

I quoted one of post, but my answer is to most of posts here.

Why you discuss about new / better / worse features? Is Microsoft the only company that makes programs and put inside operating system? Do you guys really wait for new Windows because want to use better browser? Or video player? Or have better connection with your phone? Or better music player? Or better filemanager? Better FTP?

Thousands of companies and people made tools for operating system, not only Microsoft. I trying to be as most independend and flexible as I can. I'm using 3rd party tools for most of tasks - good filemanager where I made menu for conrol panel links that works in win7/8/8.1/10, no matter what system I use and where I made my own toolbars that I'm using instead of menu START for years. I'm using alternative browsers, so I don't care what new features IE or Edge has. I'm using few video and audio players not created by Microsoft. I communicate with my smartphone using MyPhoneExplorer without any problem, sending/receiving SMS, synchronize data etc. I'm using Filezilla (or my filemanager) instead of using built-in FTP functionality. I even use alternative program for calendar, notes, clock synchro etc. I'm using not built-in email client, image viewer or even registry editor! Even multiple screen manager or remote desktop - 3rd party software! I don't really care what new great features Microsoft releases in new versions - for me it's all the same - win7, win8, 8.1, 10. Acts the same, works the same because I don't require that Microsoft must put everything I need in their OS. Some small differences are when we're talking about some minor system behaviours, but that's all.

Operating system should handle my hardware and software - that's what is made for. Not for everything! It's operating system, not universal software for everything. If you want new features - look for interesting tools and programs. Do not wait for new Windows version that discover something "new" that was available for years, but nobody even noticed that because everyone wait for Microsoft new features. Most of that features are nothing really new.

you think about windows 7 is best because windows 8.1/10 is shit

Windows 10 if you want DX12, suck it up, no choice.

But if you don't care for DX12,... Windows 7,..and for the most part, it runs like a DREAM, esp on older Hardware,.... as does Windows 8.1 as it has a better task manager and some tweaks internally,.. then YOU download the OldStartMenu,NoMetro...taking less than 5 minutes of your time.

Win8.1 with tweaks is "Win7 2.0" for the better.

Windows 8.1 is as fast as Win7, looks better once you remove Metro (Ive not seen any metro thing in years) and I use 8.1 as my Daily driver.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

9 hours ago, homeap5 said:

<huge wall of irrelevant jibber jabber>

Cool story. Fact still stands that it's out of mainstream support and will end extended support in 14 months. If you like running a system purely because of preference even if it exposes you to vulnerabilities because of stubbornness, be my guest. Don't bother quoting me as I'm not interested in going into a flamewar with fanboys. Thanks!

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I'm still using Windows 7 Professional on my main PC. When the support ends for it, I'll switch to some Linux distro.

Intel Core i9-10900X, Asus TUF X299 Mark 1, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 2TB 970 EVO Plus, 2TB SN570, 8TB HDD, DC Assassin III, Meshify 2

Old PC: Intel Xeon X5670 6c/12t @ 4.40GHz, Asus P6X58D-E, 24GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 500GB, 250GB & 120GB SSD, 2x 4TB & 2x 2TB HDD, Fractal Define R5

PC 2: Intel Xeon E5-2690 8c/16t @ 3.3-3.8GHz, ThinkStation S30 (C602/X79), 64GB (4x 16GB) DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 960 Turbo OC, 1TB Crucial MX500

PC 3: Intel Core i7-3770 4c/8t @ 4.22-4.43GHz, Asus P8Z77-V LK, 16GB DDR3 1648MHz, Asus RX 470 Strix, 1TB & 250GB Crucial MX500 and 3x 500GB HDD

Laptop: ThinkPad T440p, Intel Core i7-4800MQ 4c/8t @ 2.7-3.7GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, GeForce GT 730M (GPU: 1006MHz MEM: 1151MHz), 2TB SSD, 14" 1080p IPS, 100Wh battery

Laptop 2: ThinkPad T450, Intel Core i7-5600U 2c/4t @ 2.6-3.2GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Intel HD 5500, 250GB SSD, 14" 900p TN, 24Wh + 72Wh batteries

Phone: Huawei Honor 9 64GB + 256GB card Watch: Motorola Moto 360 1st Gen.

General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion

Some other PC's:

Spoiler

Some of the specs of these systems might not be up to date

PC 4: Intel Xeon X5675 6c/12t @ 3.07-3.47GHz, HP 0B4Ch (X58), 12GB DDR3 1333MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 660 DC2, 240GB & 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD

PC 5: Intel Xeon W3550 @ 3.07GHz, HP (X58), 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (GPU: 1050MHz MEM: 1250MHz), 120GB SSD, 2TB, 1TB and 500GB HDD

PC 6: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, Asus P5KC, 8GB DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470, 120GB SSD and 500GB HDD

HTPC: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, HP DC7900SFF, 8GB DDR2 800MHz, Asus Radeon HD 6570, 240GB SSD and 3TB HDD

WinXP PC: Intel Core2 Duo E6300 @ 2.33GHz, Asus P5B, 2GB DDR2 667MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 32GB SSD and 80GB HDD

RetroPC: Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.0GHz, Gigabyte GA-8SGXLFS, 2gb DDR1, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, 2x 40gb HDD

My first PC: Intel Celeron 333MHz, Diamond Micronics C400, 384mb RAM, Diamond Viper V550 (NVIDIA Riva TNT), 6gb and 8gb HDD

Server: 2x Intel Xeon E5420, Dell PowerEdge 2950, 32gb DDR2, ATI ES1000, 4x 146gb SAS

Dual Opteron PC: 2x 6-core AMD Opteron 2419EE, HP XW9400, 32GB DDR2, ATI Radeon 3650, 500gb HDD

Core2 Duo PC: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, HP DC7800, 4gb DDR2, NVIDIA Quadro FX1700, 1tb and 80gb HDD

Athlon XP PC: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MSI something, 1,5gb DDR1, ATI Radeon 9200, 40gb HDD

Thinkpad: Intel Core2 Duo T7200, Lenovo Thinkpad T60, 4gb DDR2, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, 1tb HDD

Pentium 3 PC: Intel Pentium 3 866MHz, Asus CUSL2-C, 512mb RAM, 3DFX VooDoo 3 2000 AGP

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430, Intel Core i5-3210M, 6gb DDR3 1600MHz , Intel HD 4000, 250gb Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1TB WD Blue HDD

Laptop: Latitude 3380, Intel Pentium Gold 4415U 2c/4t @ 2.3GHz, 8GB DDR4, Intel HD 610, 120GB SSD, 13.3" 768p TN, 56Wh battery

I am probably getting burned on the stake for this, but I prefer Windows 10 over Windows 7. The main reason for me are the quicker start times and the overall better performance (though the last is just subjective and I might actually be fooled by my memore because I haven't used Windows 7 since 2015).

But when it comes to a stable well rounded OS Windows 7 is probably the best you can get at the moment.

windows 10 2019 LTSC might actually be best... Windows 10 benefits with no bloat and only security updates

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1