Which camera should I buy?

XR6

Hi. I'm having trouble finding a camera that suits my needs. I do car photography as a hobby so I don't want to spend too much on a camera, but I'd like the camera to have good picture quality. I was looking at the Nikon D7200 and the Canon EOS 77D but they're pretty expensive.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you :) 

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

How much dinero are you willing to shell out?

About 500-550 british pounds/640-700 US dollars max.

The best setup I can think of for you is a nikon d7200 coupled with a tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. Look through ebay for used stuff, you will find the d7200 for around 450 (The cheap ones though) and the lens or around 150, which is I understad still over your budget. The d7100 would most probably be doable, again if you look for used stuff.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondhand-Search/

also, wex photo have a used department I have used in the past and can recommend.

If you go Canon, things get more and less complicated at the same time. You don't need to look at a particular model, since they dont require an in body AF motor to work with their entire EF lineup. So you can get away with an entry level body. A 60d or even 70d would be workable withing your budget accounting for the same lens I recommend above.

LCE I recall have a store in Cardiff, I thin I went there once, you could always just go have a look.

If the 550 is just for the body, thats a whole different story.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

5 hours ago, cc143 said:

The best setup I can think of for you is a nikon d7200 coupled with a tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. Look through ebay for used stuff, you will find the d7200 for around 450 (The cheap ones though) and the lens or around 150, which is I understad still over your budget. The d7100 would most probably be doable, again if you look for used stuff.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondhand-Search/

also, wex photo have a used department I have used in the past and can recommend.

If you go Canon, things get more and less complicated at the same time. You don't need to look at a particular model, since they dont require an in body AF motor to work with their entire EF lineup. So you can get away with an entry level body. A 60d or even 70d would be workable withing your budget accounting for the same lens I recommend above.

LCE I recall have a store in Cardiff, I thin I went there once, you could always just go have a look.

If the 550 is just for the body, thats a whole different story.

Hi! I was going towards the D7200 anyway as I know someone who owns one and the image quality is very impressive! 

I'll take a look around for a D7200 and the Tamron lens. Thanks! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Save some money and go with a D5000 series body like the D5600: same resolution, same image processor, etc.

Put the money you save into the lens.

NewEgg Community Moderator since 2007.

16 hours ago, IronMan77 said:

Save some money and go with a D5000 series body like the D5600: same resolution, same image processor, etc.

Put the money you save into the lens.

Okay, thank you! I'm also considering just buying a broken S9 or P20 Pro off eBay too, but if I can find a D5600 that fits my budget then I'll definitely go for that. :) 

1 hour ago, 1kv said:

Okay, thank you! I'm also considering just buying a broken S9 or P20 Pro off eBay too, but if I can find a D5600 that fits my budget then I'll definitely go for that. :) 

I'd steer you away from nikon's d3x00 and d5x00 series cameras because of their lack of an in body AF motor means you cant use older glass with AF and nikon have some really nice sharp older glass that can be found very cheaply used. 

If you are gonna go with those sort of bodies, Canon is the way to go, not much difference in spec or real world capability anyway, with the newer 800d actually being better even on paper than the nkon equivalent imo. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

1 hour ago, cc143 said:

I'd steer you away from nikon's d3x00 and d5x00 series cameras because of their lack of an in body AF motor means you cant use older glass with AF and nikon have some really nice sharp older glass that can be found very cheaply used. 

If you are gonna go with those sort of bodies, Canon is the way to go, not much difference in spec or real world capability anyway, with the newer 800d actually being better even on paper than the nkon equivalent imo. 

Okay, I'll keep my focus more towards the D7x00, but still keep the D5x00 in mind if the old glass thing doesn't become much of an issue.. Thank you :) 

9 hours ago, 1kv said:

Okay, I'll keep my focus more towards the D7x00, but still keep the D5x00 in mind if the old glass thing doesn't become much of an issue.. Thank you :) 

Don't, the 800d is better and cheaper, just buy the 800d at that point, if you want to go Nikon, d7100 and up.

The 800d will probably perform better than the d7100 probably, the only features of the latter that are better will be ruggedness/weather sealing and a 2nd sd card slot (i think) but the 800d will have things like a tiltable touchscreen and other creature comforts, so overall, 800d at that point. 

7 hours ago, cc143 said:

Don't, the 800d is better and cheaper, just buy the 800d at that point, if you want to go Nikon, d7100 and up.

The 800d will probably perform better than the d7100 probably, the only features of the latter that are better will be ruggedness/weather sealing and a 2nd sd card slot (i think) but the 800d will have things like a tiltable touchscreen and other creature comforts, so overall, 800d at that point. 

Okay.. I'll keep towards the D7x00s then. :)

I'm honestly a huge fan of the Sony a6000, if you don't mind the mirrorless setup instead of a full on DSLR. It has fantastic image quality for a good price, and you can spec it up to an a6300 or a6500. 

1 hour ago, hiitswilliam said:

I'm honestly a huge fan of the Sony a6000, if you don't mind the mirrorless setup instead of a full on DSLR. It has fantastic image quality for a good price, and you can spec it up to an a6300 or a6500. 

The a6000 is a decent camera, but I don’t think it’s a great choice here. The kit lens is pretty awful, and good lenses for Sony tend to be expensive. If you want to go mirrorless, the Fuji X100 is a better pick at this price range, or even an Canon M series camera. I prefer mirrorless to DSLRs, but not everyone agrees. 

19 hours ago, hiitswilliam said:

18 hours ago, Bustapalapeno said:

The a6000 is a decent camera, but I don’t think it’s a great choice here. The kit lens is pretty awful, and good lenses for Sony tend to be expensive. If you want to go mirrorless, the Fuji X100 is a better pick at this price range, or even an Canon M series camera. I prefer mirrorless to DSLRs, but not everyone agrees. 

I'd really consider a mirrorless camera as its less attention attracting (in my city if you have a DSLR everyone will stare at you). I'll take a look at mirrorless cameras.

I think you are overestimating how much people care about cameras. As a tech guy, I always catch myself staring at cameras. Most people really don’t notice, but your city may be different.

If you want to go mirrorless, I think the Fuji x-t100 really is the best camera around this budget. DPReview has a roundup of crop sensor cameras that tends to agree with me (Full disclosure this video is a big part of my opinion). The video excludes some major cameras in this space, but still a good resource. 

4 minutes ago, Bustapalapeno said:

I think you are overestimating how much people care about cameras. As a tech guy, I always catch myself staring at cameras. Most people really don’t notice, but your city may be different.

If you want to go mirrorless, I think the Fuji x-t100 really is the best camera around this budget. DPReview has a roundup of crop sensor cameras that tends to agree with me (Full disclosure this video is a big part of my opinion). The video excludes some major cameras in this space, but still a good resource. 

I might be. It's just that where I live DSLR cameras aren't really common in public. Unless you're a tourist or a photographer nobody really has a DSLR camera. I have found quite a few Fuji X-T100s for sale, so I'll be sure to take a look! :) 

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

I might be. It's just that where I live DSLR cameras aren't really common in public. Unless you're a tourist or a photographer nobody really has a DSLR camera. I have found many Fuji X-T100s for sale, so I'll be sure to take a look! :) 

Well by he looks of things you are about to strat being a photographer, so that puts you in the right catagory. If you want to take pictures in the city, I think you will have to get used to being noticed. Many times to get good shots you have to interact with the space, and interact with people.  It is awkward and uncomfortable (at least, it is for me), but it is necessary for some styles of photography.