Question about HDMI and DisplayPort

martward
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

later edit: YES, you should either buy a DisplayPort cable, or use your monitor at 120 Hz or whatever resolution allows you to set Full RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4

The normal output of the video card is 4:4:4  Full RGB / YCbCr (YCbCr is just another way of representing color information for a pixel, instead of red,green and blue you have Y = brightness , Cb = chroma blue, Cr = chroma red)

4:2:0  reduces the color information (instead of sending the color information for every pixel, the video card makes groups of 4 pixels and computes an average for the color of those pixels and sends only that average. So instead of 4 pixels x 2 bytes per pixel, the video card sends only 2 bytes.

If you're watching a movie, then this 4:2:0 color subsampling won't affect you, since the videos are already encoded like that, to compress better. But if you're in Windows or you're gaming, then it's possible for colors to be washed out or for some things to be distorted or hard to read. 

This color subsampling is especially easy to notice on colored text over a color background.

For example, see this article : https://www.geeks3d.com/20141203/how-to-quickly-check-the-chroma-subsampling-used-with-your-4k-uhd-tv/

You can use that test image (or the one attached to this post) to see how 4:2:0 can affect your image

TextTest_1920x1080.thumb.png.ba2790ca50f6d92aa58f357c86cc412e.png

TextTest_4k.png

Hi all,

I have recently bought a new monitor (Samsung LC27JG50QQU) which is a 1440p, 144Hz screen. Now I noticed on the product page that it supports HDMI 1.4 and DisplayPort 1.2. I saw on the Wikipedia page that HDMI 1.4 supports 1440p at 144Hz, but only with 4:2:0 subsampling. Does this mean the screen would potentially look better if I were to connect it through DisplayPort? I have now hooked it up with the HDMI cable that came in the box, but I could buy a DP cable if this would be better for whatever reason. 

Cheers,

Martijn

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

3 minutes ago, That_Dutch_Guy said:

Depends, if you have content that can take advantage of 4:4:4, then potentially yes.

Any advice on how to find out if I do? :P

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

This largely depends on the content you’re displaying and the quality of the display. I think you (or at least I) would not notice the difference. Although the difference could for sure be measured.

in the end DP cables are not that expensive and hdmi cables are anyway used often (tv and stuf) so the get a DP cable and have the pice  of mind to get every bit of color there is :D 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

later edit: YES, you should either buy a DisplayPort cable, or use your monitor at 120 Hz or whatever resolution allows you to set Full RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4

The normal output of the video card is 4:4:4  Full RGB / YCbCr (YCbCr is just another way of representing color information for a pixel, instead of red,green and blue you have Y = brightness , Cb = chroma blue, Cr = chroma red)

4:2:0  reduces the color information (instead of sending the color information for every pixel, the video card makes groups of 4 pixels and computes an average for the color of those pixels and sends only that average. So instead of 4 pixels x 2 bytes per pixel, the video card sends only 2 bytes.

If you're watching a movie, then this 4:2:0 color subsampling won't affect you, since the videos are already encoded like that, to compress better. But if you're in Windows or you're gaming, then it's possible for colors to be washed out or for some things to be distorted or hard to read. 

This color subsampling is especially easy to notice on colored text over a color background.

For example, see this article : https://www.geeks3d.com/20141203/how-to-quickly-check-the-chroma-subsampling-used-with-your-4k-uhd-tv/

You can use that test image (or the one attached to this post) to see how 4:2:0 can affect your image

TextTest_1920x1080.thumb.png.ba2790ca50f6d92aa58f357c86cc412e.png

TextTest_4k.png

@Metallus97, @mariushm thanks. I think I'll just buy one soon, just knowing that the subsampling is there irks me now. I find it very strange that Samsung choose to include an HDMI cable in stead of a DP, they're not that much more expensive are they?

My System:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, martward said:

@Metallus97, @mariushm thanks. I think I'll just buy one soon, just knowing that the subsampling is there irks me now. I find it very strange that Samsung choose to include an HDMI cable in stead of a DP, they're not that much more expensive are they?

For Samsung they are, because they produce more products with included HDMI cables than products with DP ports.

and a included HDMI is (sadly) pretty good. 

I bought a 4K and got a fkn VGA xD

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

HDMI cables are mass produced, so it probably costs them less than 1$ to include one.  Also, they already have to pay royalties for the HDMI connectors and most people have HDMI (on consoles, set top boxes) so they're kinda obligated to include cable (otherwise people may go as far as return the tv to the store for not including cable)

They saved an extra 1-2$ by not including a DisplayPort cable.

Check the first paragraph in my previous post, I have edited my message a short while ago

5 minutes ago, martward said:

And hdmi is generally more to find on the budget or older systems. Displayport is in some ways better, but almost only used in modern pc's

14 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

For Samsung they are, because they produce more products with included HDMI cables than products with DP ports.

and a included HDMI is (sadly) pretty good. 

I bought a 4K and got a fkn VGA xD

Haha what, that's actually a bit sad. Just don't include anything if you really need to cheap out on the cable.

My System:

Spoiler