Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kwuiz

Buying my first REAL gaming build, what do you guys think of it for the price?

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I’m looking into buying a used gaming build, I’ve talked to the guy selling it and a friend of mine actually knows him and is good friends with him and the guy is very trustworthy and upfront about it. Everything works and is in great condition, only a few months old and used a handful of times. He’s throwing in a mouse, keyboard, and a monitor plus the computer for $400 total, including gas money I’m giving him to meet me halfway. What do you guys think? Good or bad, and why?

EDIT: what do you guys think games like GTA 5, PUBG and Arma 3 will be able to handle with this setup?

Pictures of PC and specs:

Specs:https://ibb.co/nzc0y0

Side of machine: https://ibb.co/bAhprL

Front of machine: https://ibb.co/mxaOkf

Thanks for taking the time to read and or respond!

I'd say $400 is fair.  If you were to build that machine from used parts, it would probably come out about the same if you didn't have 4 months to wait for the bottom dollar deals.

Main Rig:

Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8ghz/1.3V 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: ASRock Killer SLI X370 

Ram: Team Vulcan 16gb DDR4 2400 

GPU: Dual XFX R9 390 8GB in Crossfire

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD: Samsung EVO 840 128gb 

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Optical: Lite-On DVD +/-RW 

Monitors: Dual Acer 24" 1080 

Keyboard: IOgear Mechlite

Mouse: Logitech Wireless

Living Room PC:
Zalman T1, AMD FX 6300, Enermax 95mm tower cooler, Gigabyte Motherboard, 16GB Gskill DDR3, R9 280, Transcend 64gb SSD, WD 3TB Storage Drive, Samsung 56" 1080p TV

Laptop:

Asus K550-JK - i7-4710MQGTX 850m 2GB, 8GB DDR3, 750gb - It plays games.  Sometimes.

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

3 minutes ago, Kwuiz said:

Perfectly fine for 1080p 60hz gaming

The case might have bad airflow if it's all closed off, you can just take off the front panel to fix that though.

I edit my posts a lot

Just now, zombienerd said:

I'd say $400 is fair.  If you were to build that machine from used parts, it would probably come out about the same if you didn't have 4 months to wait for the bottom dollar deals.

That’s what I was thinking, I was looking at the parts online and figured it’d be better to buy it used from this guy for the price he’s offering me. And then go over it myself and see what needs small care like air dusting, thermal paste, if anything at all. 

Yeah it seems like a fair deal. Should play 1080p fairly well, probably high settings on AAA titles.

Honesty's not brutal; Lying to yourself is.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.1GHz/1.29v and climbing || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2400 4x4GB || Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro AIO || GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || Asus Optical Drive || G502 & G710 || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

My Truck --- 1998.5 24v Cummins || ECSB || 47RE, Goerend triple disk TC & shift kit || 4" Turbo Back, 22" KMC (XD) Bombs, Airdog II-4G Lift Pump

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPU: Asus GTX 750 Ti || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Total invested: $360 USD

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Perfectly fine for 1080p 60hz gaming

The case might have bad airflow if it's all closed off, you can just take off the front panel to fix that though.

Thank you, didn’t really think about that. Now that you say it I might just buy a new case all around, how would I go about making sure my components would fit into a new case. Sorry for the amateur questions, still new to gaming desktops. Only had dumbed down “gaming” laptops. 

Just now, Kwuiz said:

Thank you, didn’t really think about that. Now that you say it I might just buy a new case all around, how would I go about making sure my components would fit into a new case. Sorry for the amateur questions, still new to gaming desktops. Only had dumbed down “gaming” laptops. 

It's an Ibuypower, nothing is proprietary.  Just buy any ATX case that fits your fancy, if you're worried about it.

Main Rig:

Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8ghz/1.3V 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: ASRock Killer SLI X370 

Ram: Team Vulcan 16gb DDR4 2400 

GPU: Dual XFX R9 390 8GB in Crossfire

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD: Samsung EVO 840 128gb 

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Optical: Lite-On DVD +/-RW 

Monitors: Dual Acer 24" 1080 

Keyboard: IOgear Mechlite

Mouse: Logitech Wireless

Living Room PC:
Zalman T1, AMD FX 6300, Enermax 95mm tower cooler, Gigabyte Motherboard, 16GB Gskill DDR3, R9 280, Transcend 64gb SSD, WD 3TB Storage Drive, Samsung 56" 1080p TV

Laptop:

Asus K550-JK - i7-4710MQGTX 850m 2GB, 8GB DDR3, 750gb - It plays games.  Sometimes.

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

1 minute ago, Kwuiz said:

Any ATX case will support the stuff, also the PSU might be low end, check the brand when you get it, will be fine for basic use though.

Wouldn't worry about your case or PSU though, save your money for a Ryzen 3000 upgrade early next year, probably about $300 since you already have DDR4, for 6 core CPU/Motherboard/better power supply.

I edit my posts a lot

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Any ATX case will support the stuff, also the PSU might be low end, check the brand when you get it, will be fine for basic use though.

Wouldn't worry about your case or PSU though, save your money for a Ryzen 3000 upgrade early next year, probably about $300 since you already have DDR4, for 6 core CPU/Motherboard/better power supply.

Sounds like a plan, I’ll definitely keep that in mind, thank you. I also updated the post with a picture of the front of the machine. 

Front picture: https://ibb.co/mxaOkf

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

It has mesh the airflow will be fine.

Perfect, also, how often should I get inside the machine and clean it with an air can and replace the thermal paste. I’ve heard every 3-4 months for a cleaning and 8-12 months for thermal paste all depending on how hot the CPU is running? Not sure though since I’ve heard multiple different answers. I’m definitely going to clean it as soon as I get it but going to see how hot it’s running before i decide to lay any thermal paste. 

12 minutes ago, zombienerd said:

It's an Ibuypower

Watch the PSU, those IBP machines aren't known to ship with good units. They'll be fine for normal use, but be wary.

4 minutes ago, Kwuiz said:

Perfect, also, how often should I get inside the machine and clean it with an air can and replace the thermal paste. I’ve heard every 3-4 months for a cleaning and 8-12 months for thermal paste all depending on how hot the CPU is running? Not sure though since I’ve heard multiple different answers. I’m definitely going to clean it as soon as I get it but going to see how hot it’s running before i decide to lay any thermal paste.

For dust, I usually try to get in at least every 6 months.

Thermal paste is when I start having problems with heat.

7 minutes ago, Kwuiz said:

Whenever it gets dusty basically. Thermal Paste shouldn't need to be replaced for years.

Whenyou change out the PSU probably go for a Seasonic Focus Gold unit, should be solid for the money, prices are a bit high atm.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4xbz8K
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4xbz8K/by_merchant/

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.20 @ B&H)
Total: $78.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-17 21:58 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot

28 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Whenever it gets dusty basically. Thermal Paste shouldn't need to be replaced for years.

Whenyou change out the PSU probably go for a Seasonic Focus Gold unit, should be solid for the money, prices are a bit high atm.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4xbz8K
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4xbz8K/by_merchant/

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($78.20 @ B&H)
Total: $78.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-17 21:58 EDT-0400

The TX550M is $43 after rebate. RM750x is $79 after rebate.

Temporarily logged off. Only checking DMs

I like PSUs for some odd reason. Feel free to ask me about PSU questions.

Helios EVO: Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | MSI AMD Radeon R7 370 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 3.0 | Don't buy the S12II/M12II | Avoid the EVGA G3

Quick PSU Whitelist: Cooler Master MasterWatt/V/MasterWatt Maker/MIJ, EVGA x2/xQ bar BQ, All Corsair grey units bar VS and HXi/AXi, All SeaSonic bar M12II series/ECO, Thermaltake Toughpower line/iRGB +

BETA IS BACK! CLICK HERE!

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.