Pcie sound card project

ZihanYu

Hi people! I am working on a headphone with 4 dirvers on each side to get a true 3D sound, but I need something to it in to. So that’s why I am doing this project. I want to make a thunderbolt 3 adapter to go with it so I can use it on my laptop. I have an local Pcb manufacture so I am good on that, but I have no clue on anything else

You're aiming too high, especially considering you don't have the know-how. How about you don't aim for the moon with a rocket and learn first how to use fireworks?

Why not buy a plain 5.1 usb sound card and use 3 stereo cables to go to your headphones? 

Here's a 5.1 usb "sound card" : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD6H5ES6225

it also feels like you're also focusing incorrectly on thunderbolt just because your laptop has it, while in reality thunderbolt is available probably to only 10-20% of your potential market. It would be much easier to put a chip in your headphones that would convert stereo to 5.1 or have optical in or coaxial in and accept digital 5.1 sound into your headphones and have a chip convert the 5.1 digital stream to 5 separate analogue audio channels.

More computers will have optical out or coaxial out and everything has analogue stereo output. Few have thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt is HARD.

On 10/14/2018 at 4:30 AM, mariushm said:

You're aiming too high, especially considering you don't have the know-how. How about you don't aim for the moon with a rocket and learn first how to use fireworks?

Why not buy a plain 5.1 usb sound card and use 3 stereo cables to go to your headphones? 

Here's a 5.1 usb "sound card" : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD6H5ES6225

it also feels like you're also focusing incorrectly on thunderbolt just because your laptop has it, while in reality thunderbolt is available probably to only 10-20% of your potential market. It would be much easier to put a chip in your headphones that would convert stereo to 5.1 or have optical in or coaxial in and accept digital 5.1 sound into your headphones and have a chip convert the 5.1 digital stream to 5 separate analogue audio channels.

More computers will have optical out or coaxial out and everything has analogue stereo output. Few have thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt is HARD.

Ok thanks! To be clear, this is not a product, I am just trying to make a overkill headphone for my self. But if it works out fine, I might make more and put them on eBay or something.

On 10/14/2018 at 3:50 AM, ZihanYu said:

Hi people! I am working on a headphone with 4 dirvers on each side to get a true 3D sound

Not trying to discourage you, but a good set of normal head phones will get you the same result, if not better, since you have all room available for just a single driver.

With speakers a surround setup physically makes the sound come from a different place, by changing the speaker it plays from. Headphones are just too close to your ears for that to properly work.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

13 hours ago, tikker said:

Headphones are just too close to your ears for that to properly work.

I remember these working quite well. 

images (25).jpeg

17 hours ago, tikker said:

Not trying to discourage you, but a good set of normal head phones will get you the same result, if not better, since you have all room available for just a single driver.

With speakers a surround setup physically makes the sound come from a different place, by changing the speaker it plays from. Headphones are just too close to your ears for that to properly work.

I understand, I have a hyperx cloud 2 and it does rally good surround sound. this project is just for fun and if lucky,  get something cool out of it

Edited by ZihanYu