Need Help matching wires for Astro A50 modification

idonthaveklutch

Hello all, I'm really in need of some help. Pictured is the innards of my Astro A50's and a chopped Micro USB cable with the wires exposed. So basically the micro usb port broke on the headset preventing me from charging. My plan is to make a permanent charging solution for the headset. Coming out of the Micro USB board is 3 wires, a red, a yellow, and a black. I'm planning on soldering them to the corresponding wires on the micro USB cable. So my question is which wire do I leave out on the micro USB cable? If someone could provide some insight I'd really appreciate it. 

WIN_20181008_16_34_58_Pro (2).jpg

WIN_20181008_16_33_32_Pro (2)_LI.jpg

USB 2.0 has four wires:  voltage (red) , ground (black) and  data+ and data- wires , a pair of wires through which data goes. These are usually white (data-) and green (data+)

Three wires is really not common and it's not enough for data to go through the usb connector, the yellow color is also a weird choice. 

My guess is that either a fourth wire has broken off so you're left with three wires, OR the port was used only for power and not data (and the yellow wire is for grounding the microusb connector case or something like that - for esd protection), OR something else is going on there.

It would help if you can upload some better pictures (closer and sharper, maybe take the pictures under a powerful light) or at least write down any text that's written on circuit boards near the wires

you could also follow the wires as they go into the micro usb connector to figure out each wire's purpose.

13 hours ago, mariushm said:

USB 2.0 has four wires:  voltage (red) , ground (black) and  data+ and data- wires , a pair of wires through which data goes. These are usually white (data-) and green (data+)

Three wires is really not common and it's not enough for data to go through the usb connector, the yellow color is also a weird choice. 

My guess is that either a fourth wire has broken off so you're left with three wires, OR the port was used only for power and not data (and the yellow wire is for grounding the microusb connector case or something like that - for esd protection), OR something else is going on there.

It would help if you can upload some better pictures (closer and sharper, maybe take the pictures under a powerful light) or at least write down any text that's written on circuit boards near the wires

you could also follow the wires as they go into the micro usb connector to figure out each wire's purpose.

Unfortunately the LG V20's camera is worse than my laptop webcam so better pictures is not something I can do. However, I read the board and this is what I was able to figure out: The red and black wires are soldered directly next to each other and above the black wire it says "USB-" and below the red wire it says "USB+" and above the yellow wire it says "1 wire." I traced the wires down a little bit farther and they go into the headsets main board and they come out on the other side and then go straight to the battery and the yellow wire says "TC" above it on the main board while the black and red have the same "USB+" and "USB-" above them.

Edit: You're right though about the port being only used for power. The headset does not get updated or anything through the micro USB port. It is only for charging.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

The 1 wire may be related to USB On-The-Go feature:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

It's a 5th pin inside micro-USB connectors, as the Wikipedia article shows. Sadly I'm not realy familiar with this OTG feature so I won't be of further help on this subject.

Thanks for input!