do we still need expandable storage in phones ???

Will2326
Just now, FastRDust said:

infinite Mobile data + automatic storage :P

That is another way to tackle the issue, I used to have my Dropbox music folder sync up on my phone; worked pretty well before I used Spotify.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

My phone has 64gb and I have used half of that just on the basic things and then I have installed a 64gb microSD that has 4-5gb of free space now. I use the microSD for music. So yeah I use exspandable storage and I want my next phone to also have it. Plus I see no reason why you should remove the option to expand your storage, why not just have the option? I honestly need to get a 128gb microSD card and if I had to find a phone that came with 128 or 250gb storage, then oh boy my options would be limited.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

My phone has 64gb and I have used half of that just on the basic things and then I have installed a 64gb microSD that has 4-5gb of free space now. I use the microSD for music. So yeah I use exspandable storage and I want my next phone to also have it. Plus I see no reason why you should remove the option to expand your storage, why not just have the option? I honestly need to get a 128gb microSD card and if I had to find a phone that came with 128 or 250gb storage, then oh boy my options would be limited.

I think the reason that expandability is here to stay is that not everyone is a power user on their phone.

You will use all the storage and that is fine but i can cope with half of that and yet i would be obligated to go for a minimum of 64GB.

Price wise it can be considered that i don't want to pay for what i don't use, and you don't want a small storage on your device ( assuming this ;) ).

so expandable storage is the mediator between a lower base price and the option for those who need more storage to add it later.

its not so much about how many Gigs but more options :D

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

5 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

I think the reason that expandability is here to stay is that not everyone is a power user on their phone.

You will use all the storage and that is fine but i can cope with half of that and yet i would be obligated to go for a minimum of 64GB.

Price wise it can be considered that i don't want to pay for what i don't use, and you don't want a small storage on your device ( assuming this ;) ).

so expandable storage is the mediator between a lower base price and the option for those who need more storage to add it later.

its not so much about how many Gigs but more options :D

yeah I agree, my point basically boils down to letting the user have more options and be less forced to go with a certain phone because of storage. 

And honestly, I am hardly a power user of my phone, I only use the basic things. I mainly use it for calls, text, photos and music, which is why I don't buy top end models and if we stopped having expandable storage, then I would basically be forced to spend 2-3 times as much as I really want to, just to get a phone with suitable storage for me :D

I am honestly generally against removing features/options from things.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

49 minutes ago, Quinten Verhelst said:

But if a 1tb was for example $100 and a 2tb $150, why would you spend the extra $50 if you know you aren't planning to use it?

well in my case I would spend the extra $50 because I probably would find a way to use it  or just in case I use more space in the future :P.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

well in my case I would spend the extra $50 because I probably would find a way to use it  or just in case I use more space in the future :P.

Yeah, but for we're techies, not the average person

My opinion: No - if the Phone has enough internal storage (UFS 2.0/2.1 is WAY faster than any SD Card).

SD Cards make many things more complicated, like some Apps can't handle SD Cards at all (Whatsapp), others can, but with some issues, etc etc. There is no real benefit from an SD Card - except your internal storage has not enough space (mainly for stuff like Podcasts, music, movies, pictures, etc etc).

2 hours ago, Quinten Verhelst said:

But if a 1tb was for example $100 and a 2tb $150, why would you spend the extra $50 if you know you aren't planning to use it?

Yes i would. 50% higher Price, 100% higher storage. If i can't fill it now, i can fill it in 1-2 years or 3-4 or 5 years.

The trick is, NOT to buy enough TB so it's "almost" full for today. But it has enough free space for anythnig that might come later, so you don't have to worry about.

If it's not enough, you have to put a 2nd hard drive in your computer. If you had bought enough in first place, it would still be only 1.

4 hours ago, Will2326 said:

with phone storage becoming so massive with 64gb being the new minimum and almost all phones having options for 128GB  256GB and more are people actually using expandable storage line micro sd cards  in phone, do you want it,  you use it, do you need it, how much storage out of the massive amounts in your phone are you using. 

what are other peoples opinion on this matter is it necessary or a feature still being added to phones but becoming unused and forgotten about faster than the headphone jack 

YES, you need it.
If not for the storage, you need it when you get locked out of your phone.
You need it when your screen breaks & your device is trashed. 
You need it when you don't have a signal & or can't access your cloud. 

It's not the storage; it's the security & backup you need. 

4 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

That is enough. I have never used more than 10GB storage and half of it is for music

Yeah.... no its not. I have 30gbs used on my note 9 so far and I've only had it a month

Yes, considering that a lot of phones these days can shoot 4k footage, which can use up quite a bit of space

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold