Linux without Linus - Linus apologies and is taking time off

rcmaehl

We will see how this goes.

I am worried that without Linus there will be a big push of binary blobs or other bad practices going around. Linus has always been relentless when it comes to quality and my guess is that quite a few people have taken it as personal attacks when their shitty work has been called out for what it is, shitty.

Also, the person who wrote that code of conduct that is insane.

Read the entire twitter thread. It's pure insanity.

Her own CoC says that political attacks are not allowed, but she has on several occasions encourages physical violence against others for their political beliefs. 

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Her own CoC says that political attacks are not allowed, but she has on several occasions encourages physical violence against others for their political beliefs. 

Because she is not a white dude. This CoC and other to stand up for SJWs are targeted solely at white males and their point of view cannot be taken as offense. 

They are fighting for this equality but fail to understand fucking basics when it comes to looking at stats. Yeah programming and devs are lacking diversity, how about blacks and females fucking apply then. Women tend to not choose a career in IT. Its not that people are choosing men over them, its because no girls are fucking applying. 

This whole SJW and diversity claims make my blood boil because in the real world, diversity problems are not an issue and only are after stuff like that psycho

22 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

Some of us like to have more control over our PC and OS. 

You must have never heard of Steam or GoG. There are thousands, including many triple-A titles. And then there's the Proton beta feature as part of Steam Play that was just announced, which allows any for Windows-only game to run in Linux (I've tested it with a few so far and yes, it works). Please stop spreading misinformation. 

Yeah, there are a couple.

BUt out of my 307 Games only 82 run natively on Linux.

Sadly ~100 are said to run on OSX...

22 hours ago, AshKetchup said:

He hates Nvidia? Why?

Because the Kernel Driver Part of the GPU Driver has to be open Source and nVidia doesn't do that.

And also they don't really support Open Source Drivers.

AMD does support them though.

That is also one of the reasons (IMO the Main reason) that Apple kicked nVidia out of their products: They aren't allowed to write the Drivers themselves...

And the "Bumpgate" incident where nVidia was a real dick might also be the other Reason you haven't seen a MAC with nVidia Hardware in years...

22 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

You do realize the current state of Nvidia drivers for Linux are pretty much on-par with Windows drivers... lol

They need hacks to work because of nVs Stubbornness to make them "Linux Compliant", while AMD did do that when it was demanded...

Wasn't the nViida Driver problematic with the Wayland stuff???

22 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

TL;DR:
Linus Torvalds says he's taking time off and apologizes for 'unprofessional and uncalled for' behavior

I fear it will only go downhill from here.

Especially after Python Developers want to get rid of the "Offensive Terms" Master and Slave.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/09/11/python_purges_master_and_slave_in_political_pogrom/

The world has gone politically crazy and that seems to be a big problem in the Linux (developing?) Communities as well...

I'm not a too big a Fan of Linux because of their ideological bullshit to do something different from Windows and not what has to be done to get users to stay with Linux, but without Linus Tolvards at the Rudder of the Kernel, I fear the Worst.

Because of the Thing I linked...

The thing is that there is no real chain of accountability from the Developers to the User...

You have that with commercial Software. And that worked with Windows 8, though for stupid reasons (the Start Menu, wich wasn't even bad. Just totally different)...

You don't have such mechanism in Open Source...

And there is also a Story from a Chaos Computer Congress where a libusb Maintainer talks about his experience...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Because the Kernel Driver Part of the GPU Driver has to be open Source and nVidia doesn't do that.

And also they don't really support Open Source Drivers.

AMD does support them though.

That is also one of the reasons (IMO the Main reason) that Apple kicked nVidia out of their products: They aren't allowed to write the Drivers themselves...

And the "Bumpgate" incident where nVidia was a real dick might also be the other Reason you haven't seen a MAC with nVidia Hardware in years...

They need hacks to work because of nVs Stubbornness to make them "Linux Compliant", while AMD did do that when it was demanded...

Wasn't the nViida Driver problematic with the Wayland stuff???

I fear it will only go downhill from here.

Especially after Python Developers want to get rid of the "Offensive Terms" Master and Slave.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/09/11/python_purges_master_and_slave_in_political_pogrom/

The world has gone politically crazy and that seems to be a big problem in the Linux (developing?) Communities as well...

I'm not a too big a Fan of Linux because of their ideological bullshit to do something different from Windows and not what has to be done to get users to stay with Linux, but without Linus Tolvards at the Rudder of the Kernel, I fear the Worst.

Because of the Thing I linked...

The thing is that there is no real chain of accountability from the Developers to the User...

You have that with commercial Software. And that worked with Windows 8, though for stupid reasons (the Start Menu, wich wasn't even bad. Just totally different)...

You don't have such mechanism in Open Source...

And there is also a Story from a Chaos Computer Congress where a libusb Maintainer talks about his experience...

FYI almost all server technology is getting rid of master/ slave first because it's a stupid terminology that does not reflect what's happening and them because if offensive to a large portion of people, there was a tweet storm recently of this happening to Redis, but it has happened a lot throughout modern software ecosystem.

10 minutes ago, lacion said:

because if offensive to a large portion of people

Yeah, liberal whites.

10 minutes ago, lacion said:

almost all server technology is getting rid of master/ slave first because it's a stupid terminology that does not reflect what's happening

No, they're getting rid of master/slave terminology because modern software doesn't operate under identical methods as decade(s) old software.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

18 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Yeah, liberal whites.

No, they're getting rid of master/slave terminology because modern software doesn't operate under identical methods as decade(s) old software.

you are so out of touch with the current culture...

1 minute ago, lacion said:

PC culture, maybe, but normal people don't give a shit.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

33 minutes ago, lacion said:

FYI almost all server technology is getting rid of master/ slave first because it's a stupid terminology that does not reflect what's happening

Yes, now but that wasn't always the case, was it?
In the olden days you'd call half of the Cores of a Ryzen 2990WX Master and Half Slave because that describes exactly what it does.

One has control over the other.

and them because if offensive to a large portion of people,

So because someone somewhere used an offensive term in a Book, we should burn the book?
Because that is what you are saying.

Its a Historical, technical term. Changing the Terminoligy years after it was commonly used is equal to book burning. 

It wasn't offensive 50 Years ago and now it is?! Ähm, makes sense  - NOT. Absolutely NOT.

Sorry, but the only thing I can say to that is:
Deal with it!

there was a tweet storm recently of this happening to Redis, but it has happened a lot throughout modern software ecosystem.

its not just a Software Term but a Hardware term.

Here a Link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master/slave_(technology)

But Father and Children would also be offensive, so why change it at all?!
Because every term that would make sense would be offensive!

Current culture needs to simmer the fuck down. Master/slave is a legit term but people need to make it about race. I am surprised whitelisting and blacklisting havent been attacked yet too

8 minutes ago, lacion said:

No, the PC Culture is out of touch with "normal People".

The Political Correct group is the fringe, the "incorrect group" (or rather non political) is the majority.

ABC or NBC did a "Test" a couple of days ago, where they asked a brother and sister fisher and they had no idea about the polticial shit, they did not care about it. And _THAT_ is the majority. The working people that nobody thinks about, that everyone has forgotten.

So stop your Book Burning and deal with reality. Its Master/Slave for a reason. Because it describes the situation without any doubt!

If there was a better word for it, it would have been used.

But the master is the one with the control and the Slave has to do what the master commands. 

How would you name this situation? 

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

PC culture, maybe, but normal people don't give a shit.

I'm not sure what you call PC culture, I'm talking about engineering culture, which right now has huge cultural problems that some has solved and others are trying, toxic environments to work in, like Linus created in the community are not required for good quality work as demonstrated by hundreds of companies and OSS out there.

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, now but that wasn't always the case, was it?
In the olden days you'd call half of the Cores of a Ryzen 2990WX Master and Half Slave because that describes exactly what it does.

One has control over the other.

So because someone somewhere used an offensive term in a Book, we should burn the book?
Because that is what you are saying.

Its a Historical, technical term. Changing the Terminoligy years after it was commonly used is equal to book burning. 

It wasn't offensive 50 Years ago and now it is?! Ähm, makes sense  - NOT. Absolutely NOT.

Sorry, but the only thing I can say to that is:
Deal with it!

its not just a Software Term but a Hardware term.

Here a Link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master/slave_(technology)

But Father and Children would also be offensive, so why change it at all?!
Because every term that would make sense would be offensive!

so you're comparing current documentation for software that's mostly kept online (and changing is a breeze) with burning books? wow talking about going straight to the cannons to kill a couple of flies.

also, it was offensive 50 years ago, and it still is. 

yours just trying to bend the world to your will so you can live happily with your BS, the terms master and slave are BS terms they do not represent what is happening. your telling me that while 1 core "master" (could be better named to actually describe what is going) is organizing work and telling "SLAVES" to just slave away? WTF is wrong with you? 

also in most software, the Term master does not really represent what's going at the architecture level.

50 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Try the new Proton feature in the Steam play options. I've tested a few "unsupported" Windows-only games and so far they have run fine in Linux with Proton. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

2 minutes ago, lacion said:

I'm talking about engineering culture, which right now has huge cultural problems that some has solved and others are trying, toxic environments to work in

The only people calling "toxic work environment" are idiots devout to PC culture. Facts do not support the ideology of toxic work environments being even remotely wide spread. It's isolated to companies lead by people claiming cultural problems and toxic environments.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Current culture needs to simmer the fuck down. Master/slave is a legit term but people need to make it about race. I am surprised whitelisting and blacklisting havent been attacked yet too

5 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, the PC Culture is out of touch with "normal People".

The Political Correct group is the fringe, the "incorrect group" (or rather non political) is the majority.

ABC or NBC did a "Test" a couple of days ago, where they asked a brother and sister fisher and they had no idea about the polticial shit, they did not care about it. And _THAT_ is the majority. The working people that nobody thinks about, that everyone has forgotten.

So stop your Book Burning and deal with reality. Its Master/Slave for a reason. Because it describes the situation without any doubt!

If there was a better word for it, it would have been used.

But the master is the one with the control and the Slave has to do what the master commands. 

How would you name this situation? 

it's not legit whatsoever is most cases. the slave terms mean absolutely nothing.

most of the software that actually used the term master / slave actually refer to Primary / Secondary or Primary / Standby

most software using the master/slave terminology is simply not descriptive enough of what's happening.

also, most projects started changing the terminology about 4/5 years ago and it was purely because of how inaccurate it is to describe what's happening.

it also happens that a lot of people that have been dealing with BS and racism are just fucking sick of it and also speaking up.

i don't suffer that BS but that does not mean i cant empathise with people dealing with this shit

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

The only people calling "toxic work environment" are idiots devout to PC culture. Facts do not support the ideology of toxic work environments being even remotely wide spread. It's isolated to companies lead by people claiming cultural problems and toxic environments.

and somehow your single comment is more important and the single truth that hundreds of developers are complaining about in the tech industry? I have definitely changed jobs a couple of times before for that toxic work environment you say it does not exist. and I definitely had more than a handful of coworkers that did the same on different occasions and companies.

the difference is that a few years ago most startups realize this shit was happening and their change their culture. hence why people that were in the toxic environment did a 180 from heir corporate jobs to startups.

5 minutes ago, lacion said:

it also happens that a lot of people that have been dealing with BS and racism are just fucking sick of it and also speaking up.

i don't suffer that BS but that does not mean i cant empathise with people dealing with this shit

What the fuck are they getting sick of. Its a hard drive and networking term, nothing to do with slavery. This shit is making everything worse.

How about take it out on actually slavery over in Africa. No? Too much work? Easier to tweet and ban things literally not hurting anyone. 

Based on the way this thread is going, I'm starting to think that Aristotle was right. Some people are slaves by nature.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

3 minutes ago, lacion said:

single truth that hundreds of developers are complaining about in the tech industry?

That's a fucking lie. A handful of shitty developers are complaning about "toxic culture" because they can't recognize their own shortcomings. Their opinions are invalid.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

11 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Again this wasnt a problem until SWJ made it a problem

-Men make more money, sexitst

-Women dont get hired in certain fields, sexist

-AC is too cold and its hurting my job, sexits

Problems are stiring up all over the country creating these problems that never existed, forcing diversity down companies throats.

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Problems are stiring up all over the country creating these problems that never existed, forcing diversity down companies throats.

You're right, but you should get a spell checker.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Linux? Never heard of him :P 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

That's a fucking lie. A handful of shitty developers are complaning about "toxic culture" because they can't recognize their own shortcomings. Their opinions are invalid.

I really don't know who you are but, some of the people complaining about the culture and trying to fix hold under their arm more professional achievements that most will be ever able to get to.

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

it has to be a delight working with you. usually, the ones creating the toxic culture are the ones that say it does not exist at all.

5 minutes ago, lacion said:

the ones creating the toxic culture are the ones that say it does not exist at all.

This just solidifies that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

This just solidifies that you have no idea what you're talking about.

yup. you nailed, so much information about the whys and hows, is so overwhelming that I will start to agree with you after such a show of knowledge of what's going on in the industry.

it has to be a delight working with you. usually, the ones creating the toxic culture are the ones that say it does not exist at all.

No, its mostly the ones that see a conspiracy everywhere, the ones that see racism everywhere, the ones that see sexism everywhere.

Sometimes you have to be direct and call out bullshit, if you can't deal with it, its the wrong job for you.

And there also might be some cultural differences at play as well. The libusb guy was a swede too, like Linus Tolvards. And they seem to have a special culture when it comes to some things...

You don't change a term, that's used for decades, maybe even hundreds of years as it is also used in Railway stuff, Pneumatics and some where else...

The Term Slave is bad, because it reminds people about slavery.

But what about Nazi? Why should it be OK for you to use that word and remind Germans of their dark past that everyone hates??

You are propagating a double standard here and speech policing because you are pandering to people who do not really care about that. Some are even told to own the words.