Need an advice on small office storage

Sarunce

Hello

I'm new to this forum but maybe you could help me with a problem I have. 

My small business is expanding and I would like to get local storage for my files and security camera feed. Maybe some one can help me with some suggestions what should I get to get this accomplished? 

Many thanks in advance 

Sarunce

you could use some sort of prebuilt nas if you don't have much experience with such stuff, but I don't have any recommendations for you. How big are you're storage needs for your business?

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Well I would say about 10tb for start ant then leave room for expanding

On 2018-08-16 at 4:39 AM, Sarunce said:

Well I would say about 10tb for start ant then leave room for expanding

I agree with @leadeater‘s suggestions - both QNAP and Synology make great equipment. 

Both will have apps that can record/store camera feeds. 

In terms of storage amount, you just need to decide between total number of drives vs size of drives. 

If you want room for expansion, you should get a larger NAS and leave empty bays. Warning though - the larger bay NAS appliances start to get pricey pretty quick. 2-bay and 4-bay units typically are the best bang for the buck, but don’t leave much room for expansion. 

Make sure whatever setup you buy, there’s some sort of drive redundancy (Eg:

raid1 or raid5, but not raid0). 

Lastly, make damn sure you’re backing up your files - raid is NOT a backup. Backup anything you cannot afford to lose. 

The backup itself can be one of any number of solutions, such as to an external HDD, to another NAS, to cloud storage, etc. 

On 2018-08-16 at 5:40 AM, leadeater said:

QNAP and Synology are good options to look at.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)