stupid question, hopefully simple answer

question i had a usb hub fry on me and when this happened it took out a few things one being a harddrive that only had a usb cable no power cable.. but my other hard-drives with their own power source was fine.

Is this due to them not needing power from the hub so it didn't cause them to short and the reason the usb drive that did not have its own power did short? no the hub was not cheap it was a orico hub just wonder cause will be picking up a new one and if that's why they did not get fried and other hardware did.

11 minutes ago, chanchan63 said:

question i had a usb hub fry on me and when this happened it took out a few things one being a harddrive that only had a usb cable no power.. but my other hard-drives with their own power source was fine.
is this due to them not needing power from the hub so it didn't cause them to short and the reason the usb drive that did not have its own power did short? no the hub was not cheap was a orico hub just wonder cause will be picking up a new one and if thats why they did not get fried and other hardware did just going to run usb hd's with own power to this one then to save me from problems.

Wow, sounds like English is your second language.xD

A USB connected HDD will require most of the power available to a USB port.

I would only connect it directly to the port, no extension and especially no hub.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

If an HDD has an external power souce, it usually doesn't touch the current provided by the USB connection. I've sincerely never heard of Orico (i'm in the EU, maybe that's why?) but if it fried on you only for overdrawing current, well then yeah, don't push it too hard :)

1 hour ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

Wow, sounds like English is your second language.xD

A USB connected HDD will require most of the power available to a USB port.

I would only connect it directly to the port, no extension and especially no hub.

i only have a few usb 3.0 ports and more hardrives that are 3.0 then ports why i had it hooked up to a 3.0 usb hub.. also to bash someone on how they type come on now is this forum all about correct english and a school forum no so don't be a dick

1 hour ago, ReHWolution said:

If an HDD has an external power souce, it usually doesn't touch the current provided by the USB connection. I've sincerely never heard of Orico (i'm in the EU, maybe that's why?) but if it fried on you only for overdrawing current, well then yeah, don't push it too hard :)

so running the 3.0 hub with devices that have its own power and not would be why the drives with own power are fine and the one that needed the hub got fried okay that gives some insight thank you

anyone else wanna speak up? is ReHWolution right?

14 hours ago, chanchan63 said:

i only have a few usb 3.0 ports and more hardrives that are 3.0 then ports why i had it hooked up to a 3.0 usb hub.. also to bash someone on how they type come on now is this forum all about correct english and a school forum no so don't be a dick

No flame, but the way you've written your original post makes it especially hard to understand what it is that you are actually asking.

That could be the reason for your need to follow up:

6 hours ago, chanchan63 said:

anyone else wanna speak up? is ReHWolution right?

I will only ever answer to the best of my ability - there is absolutely no promises that I will be correct. Or helpful. At all.

My toaster:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB
Case: Some free Sharkoon case
Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB SSD | Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750
Display(s): Acer framless 24" 1080p thing | Acer 22" 1600x900 thing
Cooling: Corsair H100i AIO | 2 x Corsair LL120 front intakes on radiator | 1 x Corsair LL120 rear exhaust
Keyboard: Steelseries Apex
Mouse: R.A.T 7
Sound: HyperX Cloud II headset | Creative EAX 5.1 speakers

3 hours ago, MrJoosh said:

No flame, but the way you've written your original post makes it especially hard to understand what it is that you are actually asking.

That could be the reason for your need to follow up:

well easy to understand.. a powered usb hub i had fried, devices went with  it that didn't have their own power, but devices that did are working fine, so asking if this is cause they had their own power and not using the hub for power why they still work? just so i know when i get another powered hub to just keep devices needing own power plugged into it.

14 hours ago, chanchan63 said:

well easy to understand.. a powered usb hub i had fried, devices went with  it that didn't have their own power, but devices that did are working fine, so asking if this is cause they had their own power and not using the hub for power why they still work? just so i know when i get another powered hub to just keep devices needing own power plugged into it.

i think the issue people are maybe getting at is that the words being typed all run together into a singular sentence without the use of any line breaks or grammatical punctuation so as not to making it too easy to understand which slows down ones ability to processing the information in a clear and concise manner so as to best help you by another user being able to formulating an answer to your initially requested inquiry about the topic at hand which is regarding the usb hubs power frying causing devices that are connected without their own power source to the hub to die or stop working as was typed in the first post way above up at the top of this thread forum board.

To be clear, by no means am I trying to be rude here - in fact, I often ignore things like this and just help with the question as best I can. Just pointing out how difficult it can be to decipher text (on a forum or elsewhere) written by someone else. It's kind of why books, newspapers, and [quality] blog articles go through a lot of QA reading before publication. People are more inclined to help when the information is clear and concise, rather than just closing the page because they don't have the time or even want to decipher a wall of text.

ANYWAYS.... back on topic! A device getting power from a USB hub directly is more susceptible to overcurrent surges if the hub shorts out or fails before it trips its' own overcurrent protection. Most devices that use their own power source are relatively safe from hubs that act up in this manner, but even a USB device using its' own power source can still short out if you've got a particularly bad USB hub.

I totally understand it's unfortunate when it happens, but we can't yet change the laws of physics / electricity, so my advice is to buy quality USB hubs and adapters from trusted brands. Orico can actually be decent, but I've had better luck with Kingston, Lexar, SanDisk, and ANKER SD card readers and USB hubs in general.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 hours ago, kirashi said:

i think the issue people are maybe getting at is that the words being typed all run together into a singular sentence without the use of any line breaks or grammatical punctuation so as not to making it too easy to understand which slows down ones ability to processing the information in a clear and concise manner so as to best help you by another user being able to formulating an answer to your initially requested inquiry about the topic at hand which is regarding the usb hubs power frying causing devices that are connected without their own power source to the hub to die or stop working as was typed in the first post way above up at the top of this thread forum board.

To be clear, by no means am I trying to be rude here - in fact, I often ignore things like this and just help with the question as best I can. Just pointing out how difficult it can be to decipher text (on a forum or elsewhere) written by someone else. It's kind of why books, newspapers, and [quality] blog articles go through a lot of QA reading before publication. People are more inclined to help when the information is clear and concise, rather than just closing the page because they don't have the time or even want to decipher a wall of text.

ANYWAYS.... back on topic! A device getting power from a USB hub directly is more susceptible to overcurrent surges if the hub shorts out or fails before it trips its' own overcurrent protection. Most devices that use their own power source are relatively safe from hubs that act up in this manner, but even a USB device using its' own power source can still short out if you've got a particularly bad USB hub.

I totally understand it's unfortunate when it happens, but we can't yet change the laws of physics / electricity, so my advice is to buy quality USB hubs and adapters from trusted brands. Orico can actually be decent, but I've had better luck with Kingston, Lexar, SanDisk, and ANKER SD card readers and USB hubs in general.

thank you, is ANKER truly better then orico would you say tho for usb hubs? i know they are a big brand i went with orico cause i own other hardware from them and the 10port hub i have was on sale years ago so grabbed it.

17 hours ago, chanchan63 said:

thank you, is ANKER truly better then orico would you say tho for usb hubs? i know they are a big brand i went with orico cause i own other hardware from them and the 10port hub i have was on sale years ago so grabbed it.

IMO I think Anker is better, but when you are pushing that much power through that many ports in a confined space, it increases the chances of short circuits should something get loose in the HUB and bridge contacts together. For more than 7 ports on a USB HUB, I recommend industrial hubs like ones from Startech as they have much better life expectancy due to better construction methods. https://www.startech.com/ca/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Hubs/10-port-industrial-usb-3-0-hub~ST1030USBM

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

7 hours ago, kirashi said:

IMO I think Anker is better, but when you are pushing that much power through that many ports in a confined space, it increases the chances of short circuits should something get loose in the HUB and bridge contacts together. For more than 7 ports on a USB HUB, I recommend industrial hubs like ones from Startech as they have much better life expectancy due to better construction methods. https://www.startech.com/ca/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Hubs/10-port-industrial-usb-3-0-hub~ST1030USBM

okay