MY PING IS KILLIN' ME

printf_cyber

Hey Guys!

So I have a 5 MB connection from my ISP, I mean to say, that I called them and said I want 5 MB connection, they said "OK" - and then now I have 5 MB connection as I tested on speed test.

Tell me:

I get 500 KB download and 50 KB upload on BitTorrent on average, It goes down to 200 KB download and 20 KB upload if another user watches YouTube on 720p on a Laptop,

Another user surfing through Internet brings it down to 100 KB download and 8 KB upload - IS this right?

Should All users have 5 MB download and upload?

Should one person at a time have 5 MB download and upload ? - like if only one person is using Internet.

What should be the download  and upload speed on BitTorrent?

What should be my Ping on Fortnite?

Should I be able to stream 720p Fortnite to Twitch?

Should network speed slow down if users change from 2 to 4?

Does network speed and Ping depend on Router/Modem?

Will upgrading my router from ISP default given to some ASUS one will give better ping or Internet - Wired and Wireless?

Does the amount of users ranging from 1 to 4 MAX affect Network Ping and performance?

I see 5 MB download and 1 MB upload on OOKLA speedtest with 30-35 ping, my fortnite game has 

2 KB download and 1 KB upload with 250 ping - WHY?

Will Ping and download AND upload get better with Fiber connection or just a DSL connection with more MB from ISP.

I really need better internet and like not more than 50 ping, what should I do??

Ask me questions if you need to,

Basil

Is BitTorrent on when you're gaming?

although it might not use much in MB for up and download it will still have allot of connections which can cause Ping issues

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

6 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

Is BitTorrent on when you're gaming?

although it might not use much in MB for up and download it will still have allot of connections which can cause Ping issues

Lol Never, everything internet related is of while gaming...

Just now, mbasil22 said:

Lol Never, everything internet related is of while gaming...

Just making Sure :P i guess it's impossible to verify that no one else is using your internet besides you?

and are there times that you don't have that issue?

Just now, FastRDust said:

Just making Sure :P i guess it's impossible to verify that no one else is using your internet besides you?

and are there times that you don't have that issue?

I know when someone is using internet, just 3 people livin in the house

And i always have this issue

These internet speeds are awful, tell your ISP to fix that. There is no way you would be able to stream anything at that speed. :( 

Just now, mbasil22 said:

I know when someone is using internet, just 3 people livin in the house

And i always have this issue

i think this will help you in understanding why you have this problem.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-minimum-broadband-internet-speed-required-to-play-online-games

Life sucks.. my ping kills me too. Where the hell is my 0 ping ugh I got it before

Capture.PNG.d0dbfc041c4f2ef377a006557bc26ed1.PNG

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

23 minutes ago, PokiDaSpitz said:

Life sucks.. my ping kills me too. Where the hell is my 0 ping ugh I got it before

Capture.PNG.d0dbfc041c4f2ef377a006557bc26ed1.PNG

I want to suicide......

WTH!!!

HOW MUCH DO YOU PAY FOR THAT PER MONTH, ANY ISP IN THIS COUNTRY CANT GIVE ME 1 GB CONNECTION !!!!!

32 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

i think this will help you in understanding why you have this problem.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-minimum-broadband-internet-speed-required-to-play-online-games

According to the forum answer in the link you gave me, I should have 512 Kbps upload and do not need to worry about the download much. So I am confused if I should compare his recommended to the

OOKLA speed test

OR

The in game Network stats

Cause if he's talking about the SpeedTest stats, then I am okay, but if he's talking about In game provided network stats, then I am wayyyyy off, 

Like he says a recommended 1 mb down and 1.5 mb up, and in game

I got 2 ""KB"" down and 1 ""KB"" up - WTH!!! that is a difference of "MB" and "KB"

Just now, mbasil22 said:

According to the forum answer in the link you gave me, I should have 512 Kbps upload and do not need to worry about the download much. So I am confused if I should compare his recommended to the

OOKLA speed test

OR

The in game Network stats

Cause if he's talking about the SpeedTest stats, then I am okay, but if he's talking about In game provided network stats, then I am wayyyyy off, 

Like he says a recommended 1 mb down and 1.5 mb up, and in game

I got 2 ""KB"" down and 1 ""KB"" up - WTH!!! that is a difference of "MB" and "KB"

you should at least have a 2Mbps line to game online. to be on the safe side.

5 minutes ago, FastRDust said:

you should at least have a 2Mbps line to game online. to be on the safe side.

"2 Mbps Line" meaning like what the speedtest says is??

I got a 5 mb down and 1.3 up on speedtest

it is hard to explain but i'll try it anyway.

the difference is Mbps and MB is a 10x difference

meaning if you have a 10MB line you'll have 1Mbps internet.

so if you know what you need in Mbps 10x

and if you tell an ISP your needed speed in MB it's /10

Correct me if i'm wrong but in the Netherlands we have a very different set of choices

1 hour ago, mbasil22 said:

I get 500 KB download and 50 KB upload on BitTorrent on average, It goes down to 200 KB download and 20 KB upload if another user watches YouTube on 720p on a Laptop,

Another user surfing through Internet brings it down to 100 KB download and 8 KB upload - IS this right?

5Mbits per second = 5000Kbits per second ( or 5120 depending if they use base 10 or base 2 when they advertise) 

There are 8 Bits in a Byte so 5000/8= 625 or a theoretical max of 625 KBytes per second.

Network connections are measured in bits per second, file sizes are measured in Bytes.

Your 5Mbps connection is shared with everyone else  on your connection so if you are downloading something at 300KBps then that only leaves about half your connection free for others to use.

All users share the total of 5Mbps.

Should one person at a time have 5 MB download and upload ? - like if only one person is using Internet.

Yes/No. if only 1 person is using the connection they will get all of the 5Mbps down but it sounds like you are on DSL which is likely an asynchronous 5Mbps down 800Kbps up so you only have about 1/5th of the upload speed you have for download. 

Max about 625KBps down 90KBps up but in practice it will be less depending on a lot of factors.

Depends on how far the server is from you, how many devices the packets have to hop, quality of the cables, many things.

No, you would need much more upload than what you have to stream 720P or anything really. About 3Mbps up would be minimum 

Yes

Not unless they are defective/damaged in some way.

Will upgrading my router from ISP default given to some ASUS one will give better ping or Internet - Wired and Wireless?

Wired can give better performance due to how wireless handles collisions. It might help a bit but probably wont solve your issue. 

Does the amount of users ranging from 1 to 4 MAX affect Network Ping and performance?

Yes

I see 5 MB download and 1 MB upload on OOKLA speedtest with 30-35 ping, my fortnite game has 

See above about what your ping should be

Will Ping and download AND upload get better with Fiber connection or just a DSL connection with more MB from ISP.

Upload and Download will be based on package sold by your IPS but if you pay for more speed, you should get more speed.

If your connection isn't saturated you should also get a lower ping but again it depends on a lot of factors than just your home connection.

I really need better internet and like not more than 50 ping, what should I do??

Get a better package from an ISP

Play on a server closer to your location (e.g if i play on NA servers I get around 30ms ping. if i play on europe server i get 150-200ms ping)

if all else fails, move to an area with better internet options (probably not an easy option)

1 hour ago, mbasil22 said:

I want to suicide......

Please NEVER joke about suicide. It should never be a punchline.

20 hours ago, mbasil22 said:

I want to suicide......

WTH!!!

HOW MUCH DO YOU PAY FOR THAT PER MONTH, ANY ISP IN THIS COUNTRY CANT GIVE ME 1 GB CONNECTION !!!!!

yo bro come to singapore, i pay 39.90sgd (around 28usd) a month haha :3

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

7 hours ago, PokiDaSpitz said:

yo bro come to singapore, i pay 39.90sgd (around 28usd) a month haha :3

*Original Poster jumps down the building*

*no pulse*

*dead*

On 8/14/2018 at 5:26 PM, FastRDust said:

it is hard to explain but i'll try it anyway.

the difference is Mbps and MB is a 10x difference

meaning if you have a 10MB line you'll have 1Mbps internet.

so if you know what you need in Mbps 10x

and if you tell an ISP your needed speed in MB it's /10

Correct me if i'm wrong but in the Netherlands we have a very different set of choices

I get it now, so 

I have 5 MB line

and

500 KB speed

which is legit...

I think I just have to get 15 or 30 "Mbps" package in "Fiber Optic", cause paying the same amount per month for the crappy "DSL" is just waste, better off with Fibre, so I have 15 or 30 Mbps "UPLOAD" too, and not the 1/3rd or whatever.

It is expensive tho, but I think still worth it, I won't quit gaming for this...

On 8/14/2018 at 6:03 PM, trufret said:

5Mbits per second = 5000Kbits per second ( or 5120 depending if they use base 10 or base 2 when they advertise) 

There are 8 Bits in a Byte so 5000/8= 625 or a theoretical max of 625 KBytes per second.

Network connections are measured in bits per second, file sizes are measured in Bytes.

Your 5Mbps connection is shared with everyone else  on your connection so if you are downloading something at 300KBps then that only leaves about half your connection free for others to use.

All users share the total of 5Mbps.

Yes/No. if only 1 person is using the connection they will get all of the 5Mbps down but it sounds like you are on DSL which is likely an asynchronous 5Mbps down 800Kbps up so you only have about 1/5th of the upload speed you have for download. 

Max about 625KBps down 90KBps up but in practice it will be less depending on a lot of factors.

Depends on how far the server is from you, how many devices the packets have to hop, quality of the cables, many things.

No, you would need much more upload than what you have to stream 720P or anything really. About 3Mbps up would be minimum 

Yes

Not unless they are defective/damaged in some way.

Wired can give better performance due to how wireless handles collisions. It might help a bit but probably wont solve your issue. 

Yes

See above about what your ping should be

Upload and Download will be based on package sold by your IPS but if you pay for more speed, you should get more speed.

If your connection isn't saturated you should also get a lower ping but again it depends on a lot of factors than just your home connection.

Get a better package from an ISP

Play on a server closer to your location (e.g if i play on NA servers I get around 30ms ping. if i play on europe server i get 150-200ms ping)

if all else fails, move to an area with better internet options (probably not an easy option)

Thanks bruh, that really helped me out!

With a connection so small, todays bandwidth hungry websites and apps will absolutely nuke your connection speed.  When the upstream becomes saturated it will cause latency to increase on the line.

To offset this, you can use QoS (Quality of Service) features if they are present within your router, you can put certain traffic on a higher or lower priority.  For example if someone watching youtube horribly affects your latency, you can put TCP 80 & 443 on a lower priority to reduce the impact against the gaming latency.

The connections bandwidth is very small, but with restrictive QoS you could manage a resonably stable latency.  Have a look to see if the modem/router that your ISP has supplied has any QoS capability in it.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

On 8/14/2018 at 7:21 AM, mbasil22 said:

Hey Guys!

So I have a 5 MB connection from my ISP, I mean to say, that I called them and said I want 5 MB connection, they said "OK" - and then now I have 5 MB connection as I tested on speed test.

Tell me:

Ask me questions if you need to,

Basil

First of all Bits VS Bytes. ISP do all their speed in Bits. So 5 Mbps would be about .625 Bytes. Also you pay for X download speed and X upload speed, that is shared by all users on your connection. Bit torrent is upload heavy and if it uses too much upload it can bring down your download rate on top of taking out your entire connection. Ive seen it before. 

You have a few options. First get a better internet connection. Second limit the upload bit torrent uses, most BT clients have a limit you can set. Maybe some QoS options on your router could help as well. Your biggest issue is you need more upload. 1 Mbps is not going to be enough if you want to be doing other things. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Didn't see it mentioned, but any ping below say 150 is pretty decent for casual gaming. Buddy in Australia averaged 250ms to servers in the US - now that was rough.

18 hours ago, Mikensan said:

Didn't see it mentioned, but any ping below say 150 is pretty decent for casual gaming. Buddy in Australia averaged 250ms to servers in the US - now that was rough.

Well I feel like any more than 90 ping is not good, streamers playing fortnite have issues when they lag/jump to 70 ping from about 15 - 20 ms...