Jump to content
Razorlob

What is the most value EK copper kit for my system?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am looking to upgrade my A240G kit to one of EK's coper lineup. I am not willing to spend more than 500 dollars on this kit (including a gtx 1080 block). I am looking to buy one of their kits. What setup would you recommend to do?

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Razorlob said:

I am looking to upgrade my A240G kit to one of EK's coper lineup. I am not willing to spend more than 500 dollars on this kit (including a gtx 1080 block). I am looking to buy one of their kits. What setup would you recommend to do?

Never go cheap on water cooling


I edit my posts a lot

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, For Science! said:

P-series would be my recommendation.

I am looking to buy the P series but I would also like to buy one of the RGB GPU blocks and I need it to be compatible

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I am looking to upgrade my A240G kit to one of EK's coper kits. I am not willing to spend more than 600 dollars on this kit (including a gtx 1080 block). I am looking to buy one of their kits. What setup would you recommend to do? I need to cool both my CPU and GPU. I thought about buying the performance kit but am not sure if it will fit. Tell me what you think.

https://gyazo.com/1a87c0300cc5841d7fb640f3ba42109e

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Razorlob said:

I am looking to upgrade my A240G kit to one of EK's coper kits. I am not willing to spend more than 600 dollars on this kit (including a gtx 1080 block). I am looking to buy one of their kits. What setup would you recommend to do? I need to cool both my CPU and GPU. I thought about buying the performance kit but am not sure if it will fit. Tell me what you think.

https://gyazo.com/1a87c0300cc5841d7fb640f3ba42109e

I don't think you'll get that much more out of a copper "kit" (typically when going the copper route, you'd buy all the parts separately to get the stuff you want, but the EK kits are nice in that it's all there)
A thick 240mm rad would offer more cooling though. I'd say buy the parts separately and get the thickest rad you can fit. You have loads of room for a thicker rad. 


EREBUS | 2x Intel Xeon X5670 | 60GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 3x 146GB RAID 5 10K SAS | AMD FirePro V5900

RAGNAROK | 2x Intel Xeon E5606 | 4GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 2x 500GB RAID 0 5.2K SATA | AMD FirePro V7900

GOBBLES | i7 7700K 5.2GHz 1.373v | RIP GTX 980

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not too sure what size of tubing you want, if you want clear acrylic or the black acetal, or nickel plated copper. I personally like black acetal and nickel plated copper, but if done right the clear stuff looks great too. This is about as basic as a full system loop would be, keeping a black theme. For your while build, nickel and acrylic with white/chrome fittings might look nicer though, it's a personal choice. 

The D5 is a very robust too, so while the DCC is smaller, I have seen a few of them fail, and it's known they can be a bit more fragile. 

Screenshot (188).png


EREBUS | 2x Intel Xeon X5670 | 60GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 3x 146GB RAID 5 10K SAS | AMD FirePro V5900

RAGNAROK | 2x Intel Xeon E5606 | 4GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 2x 500GB RAID 0 5.2K SATA | AMD FirePro V7900

GOBBLES | i7 7700K 5.2GHz 1.373v | RIP GTX 980

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I'm not too sure what size of tubing you want, if you want clear acrylic or the black acetal, or nickel plated copper. I personally like black acetal and nickel plated copper, but if done right the clear stuff looks great too. This is about as basic as a full system loop would be, keeping a black theme. For your while build, nickel and acrylic with white/chrome fittings might look nicer though, it's a personal choice. 

The D5 is a very robust too, so while the DCC is smaller, I have seen a few of them fail, and it's known they can be a bit more fragile. 

Screenshot (188).png

Thank you ill consider this setup

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I'm not too sure what size of tubing you want, if you want clear acrylic or the black acetal, or nickel plated copper. I personally like black acetal and nickel plated copper, but if done right the clear stuff looks great too. This is about as basic as a full system loop would be, keeping a black theme. For your while build, nickel and acrylic with white/chrome fittings might look nicer though, it's a personal choice. 

The D5 is a very robust too, so while the DCC is smaller, I have seen a few of them fail, and it's known they can be a bit more fragile. 

Screenshot (188).png

Would you recommend this setup? https://gyazo.com/70f83af57ebebf64c65033a1cab54726

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Razorlob said:

Thank you ill consider this setup

A lot about water cooling is personal taste now adays anyways, EK rads are about as good as everyone else's really. Alphacool make the "NexXxoS Monsta 240mm", which is the thickest rad I know of, it's fucking huge, at 86mm thick. By all means, change it up to suit your build and personal tastes, and don't me too afraid to mix other brands in, as long as it's copper, there won't be too many reactions, and the minor ones that might occur between different copper alloys aren't even damaging. 


EREBUS | 2x Intel Xeon X5670 | 60GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 3x 146GB RAID 5 10K SAS | AMD FirePro V5900

RAGNAROK | 2x Intel Xeon E5606 | 4GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 2x 500GB RAID 0 5.2K SATA | AMD FirePro V7900

GOBBLES | i7 7700K 5.2GHz 1.373v | RIP GTX 980

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

A lot about water cooling is personal taste now adays anyways, EK rads are about as good as everyone else's really. Alphacool make the "NexXxoS Monsta 240mm", which is the thickest rad I know of, it's fucking huge, at 86mm thick. By all means, change it up to suit your build and personal tastes, and don't me too afraid to mix other brands in, as long as it's copper, there won't be too many reactions, and the minor ones that might occur between different copper alloys aren't even damaging. 

The only thing that scares me the most is figuring the sizes of all the different tubes and fitting and making them all work together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Razorlob said:

The only thing that scares me the most is figuring the sizes of all the different tubes and fitting and making them all work together.

 

12 minutes ago, Razorlob said:

Would you recommend this setup? https://gyazo.com/70f83af57ebebf64c65033a1cab54726

 

Provided you buy the same size of tubing as the fittings are for (note in the selection I picked, I used 10mm inner diameter, 16mm outer diameter for the fittings and the tubes) any combination will work. Compression fittings are best but don't mix up soft and hardline compression fittings, they're not compatible.

 

It's a good kit, though the block is not nickel plated, the plating makes the metal slightly more resistant to corrosion as nickel, while technically more reactive, is more stable in liquid environments. Since you got the Gaming 240G, I assume you still have two EK vardar fans? You will also need two more fittings for the tubes for the GPU block buying a kit and a GPU block separately,  and not the reservoir is separate on that kit, however thinking about it, there might not be room left for a large reservoir if you go with a thicker rad, however looking at the case, there should be room. 

 

Also laying out the loop can be a good way to cut down on excess tubing. I noticed in your current build, you have the tubing going over to the top of the GPU block, you can use either side of the block for either inlet or outlet, it really doesn't matter unless you have a very weak pump or a lot of blocks. Experiment with  the tubing, holding it up before you cut it to decide what looks best to you.

 

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-acf-fitting-10-13mm-nickel These should be the fittings you need to add the GPU to the kit. 


EREBUS | 2x Intel Xeon X5670 | 60GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 3x 146GB RAID 5 10K SAS | AMD FirePro V5900

RAGNAROK | 2x Intel Xeon E5606 | 4GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 2x 500GB RAID 0 5.2K SATA | AMD FirePro V7900

GOBBLES | i7 7700K 5.2GHz 1.373v | RIP GTX 980

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

 

Provided you buy the same size of tubing as the fittings are for (note in the selection I picked, I used 10mm inner diameter, 16mm outer diameter for the fittings and the tubes) any combination will work. Compression fittings are best but don't mix up soft and hardline compression fittings, they're not compatible.

 

It's a good kit, though the block is not nickel plated, the plating makes the metal slightly more resistant to corrosion as nickel, while technically more reactive, is more stable in liquid environments. Since you got the Gaming 240G, I assume you still have two EK vardar fans? You will also need two more fittings for the tubes for the GPU block buying a kit and a GPU block separately,  and not the reservoir is separate on that kit, however thinking about it, there might not be room left for a large reservoir if you go with a thicker rad, however looking at the case, there should be room. 

 

Also laying out the loop can be a good way to cut down on excess tubing. I noticed in your current build, you have the tubing going over to the top of the GPU block, you can use either side of the block for either inlet or outlet, it really doesn't matter unless you have a very weak pump or a lot of blocks. Experiment with  the tubing, holding it up before you cut it to decide what looks best to you.

I have 2 Vardar fans but I use my other corsair fans since I think they look better. Also, the only reason I have such long tubing is because the tubing would kink if I turning it at a tight angle so I had to loop it around. Also, how do I know that the holes on the GPU block would be compatible to the rest of the system

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Razorlob said:

I have 2 Vardar fans but I use my other corsair fans since I think they look better. Also, the only reason I have such long tubing is because the tubing would kink if I turning it at a tight angle so I had to loop it around.

Once they're static optimised fans it shouldn't matter. Kinking can be annoying, one solution is to put the tube in boiling water and take it out after a few seconds, and then while it's still hot insert it into the position you need from it. Doesn't work with all tubes but usually helps a lot. You should have been able to get the tube to the bottom port of the GPU block though, shame it kinked, it would have made the loop a lot cleaner, otherwise it's fine. Note the link I added to the last message I posed, https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-acf-fitting-10-13mm-nickel, those are the fittings the kit uses. 


EREBUS | 2x Intel Xeon X5670 | 60GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 3x 146GB RAID 5 10K SAS | AMD FirePro V5900

RAGNAROK | 2x Intel Xeon E5606 | 4GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 2x 500GB RAID 0 5.2K SATA | AMD FirePro V7900

GOBBLES | i7 7700K 5.2GHz 1.373v | RIP GTX 980

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Once they're static optimised fans it shouldn't matter. Kinking can be annoying, one solution is to put the tube in boiling water and take it out after a few seconds, and then while it's still hot insert it into the position you need from it. Doesn't work with all tubes but usually helps a lot. You should have been able to get the tube to the bottom port of the GPU block though, shame it kinked, it would have made the loop a lot cleaner, otherwise it's fine. Note the link I added to the last message I posed, https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-acf-fitting-10-13mm-nickel, those are the fittings the kit uses. 

Do you think those fittings with the tube that it comes in will fit in this specific GPU block and how do you know?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Razorlob said:

Do you think those fittings with the tube that it comes in will fit in this specific GPU block and how do you know?

It lists the fittings used in the kit. EK uses the same fittings they make and sell individually for the kits you buy. The parts in the kit are all exact same you'd get if you bought them on their own. If you go to the product page and scroll down to the list of contents, you'll see the fittings listed. There are 8 in the kit, so you'd need an extra two for the GPU block. 


EREBUS | 2x Intel Xeon X5670 | 60GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 3x 146GB RAID 5 10K SAS | AMD FirePro V5900

RAGNAROK | 2x Intel Xeon E5606 | 4GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 2x 500GB RAID 0 5.2K SATA | AMD FirePro V7900

GOBBLES | i7 7700K 5.2GHz 1.373v | RIP GTX 980

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

It lists the fittings used in the kit. EK uses the same fittings they make and sell individually for the kits you buy. The parts in the kit are all exact same you'd get if you bought them on their own. If you go to the product page and scroll down to the list of contents, you'll see the fittings listed. There are 8 in the kit, so you'd need an extra two for the GPU block. 

So technically no matter what size fittings I use I could put it on the GPU block if it's EK's fittings. Also I believe that the kit does come with a Res and a Pump

Edited by Razorlob
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Razorlob said:

So technically no matter what size fittings I use I could put it on the GPU block if it's EK's fittings

Uh not quite. You need to match the tubing size to the fitting size, however all the companies use the same threat for screwing fittings into the parts, G1/4 thread. Even if the fitting is made by EK or Bitspower, it'd work on Alphacool or EKWB. The EK kit comes with 10mm/13mm tubes, so the fittings need to be 10mm ID, 13mm OD. 


EREBUS | 2x Intel Xeon X5670 | 60GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 3x 146GB RAID 5 10K SAS | AMD FirePro V5900

RAGNAROK | 2x Intel Xeon E5606 | 4GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 2x 500GB RAID 0 5.2K SATA | AMD FirePro V7900

GOBBLES | i7 7700K 5.2GHz 1.373v | RIP GTX 980

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Uh not quite. You need to match the tubing size to the fitting size, however all the companies use the same threat for screwing fittings into the parts, G1/4 thread. Even if the fitting is made by EK or Bitspower, it'd work on Alphacool or EKWB. The EK kit comes with 10mm/13mm tubes, so the fittings need to be 10mm ID, 13mm OD. 

I meant if all of EK's fittings COULD fit on this GPU block. Even though I theoretically need 10/13mm fittings

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Razorlob said:

I meant if all of EK's fittings COULD fit on this GPU block. Even though I theoretically need 10/13mm fittings

They all do fit on the block, they all have the same threaded bit, it's the tubing that comes with the kit, and fittings, that made me tell you to get those, otherwise you'd need to buy 10 fittings of another size. 


EREBUS | 2x Intel Xeon X5670 | 60GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 3x 146GB RAID 5 10K SAS | AMD FirePro V5900

RAGNAROK | 2x Intel Xeon E5606 | 4GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 2x 500GB RAID 0 5.2K SATA | AMD FirePro V7900

GOBBLES | i7 7700K 5.2GHz 1.373v | RIP GTX 980

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Razorlob said:

Would this setup work with my GPU and everything?

https://gyazo.com/15237a7fcbc96a010559c2827efe96e6

Yes what should all work fine. You might wanna pick yourself up some cyrofuel coolant too, it's not a bad coolant. 
That's the G1/4 thread, basically all watercooling stuff uses these threads, it's basically the only standard.

20180810_163000[1].jpg


EREBUS | 2x Intel Xeon X5670 | 60GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 3x 146GB RAID 5 10K SAS | AMD FirePro V5900

RAGNAROK | 2x Intel Xeon E5606 | 4GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 2x 500GB RAID 0 5.2K SATA | AMD FirePro V7900

GOBBLES | i7 7700K 5.2GHz 1.373v | RIP GTX 980

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Yes what should all work fine. You might wanna pick yourself up some cyrofuel coolant too, it's not a bad coolant. 
That's the G1/4 thread, basically all watercooling stuff uses these threads, it's basically the only standard.

20180810_163000[1].jpg

I cannot thank you enough for all the help you gave me thanks. Btw the reason why I'm getting the new water cooling loop is because my A240G is all clogged up because I used the thermaltake P1000 liquid in it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Razorlob said:

I cannot thank you enough for all the help you gave me thanks. Btw the reason why I'm getting the new water cooling loop is because my A240G is all clogged up because I used the thermaltake P1000 liquid in it.

Oh dear. Yes, the Fluid Gaming kit, because it's aluminium, requires the EK fluid it comes with to stop corrosion. It also all uses the same Aluminium alloy to try to prevent corrosion. If something that's not meant to be used in it is used, it can lead to a very bad day. You could probably clean it all and get new fluid gaming coolant, but idk what kind of condition the parts would be in. 


EREBUS | 2x Intel Xeon X5670 | 60GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 3x 146GB RAID 5 10K SAS | AMD FirePro V5900

RAGNAROK | 2x Intel Xeon E5606 | 4GiB DDR3 1333Mhz | 2x 500GB RAID 0 5.2K SATA | AMD FirePro V7900

GOBBLES | i7 7700K 5.2GHz 1.373v | RIP GTX 980

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×