I need a z370 mini-ITX board.

I'm building a computer for my daughter to use so she can play a few games with me. I also plan to use it as a streaming machine and backup system..

I was originally going to get an i3-8100 or 2200G but a great deal on an i3-8350K fell into my lap. I snagged it. I have a great EVGA AIO that I had snagged on Amazon's Prime day for $30, that I will be throwing into this system.

I realized now, that I can use this system to play around with overclocking. As such, I need a good or best z370 mini-itx motherboard for overclocking. I would love to hit 5Ghz as I've never had a computer hit that before. 

I watched a few reviews and many people are saying the Asus ROG Strix Z370-I or the Gigabyte Z370N are the best way to go. I have a bad taste in my mouth for Gigabyte given their quality control lately, but I'd be willing to give it a shot if encouraged by the LTT forum community. I could also go with the Asus board, but my main rig is already Asus and it would be nice to have a different UEFI flavor in the house. However it isn't that important as being familiar with the layout is a benefit, so with encouragement from the LTT forum community I could go that route as well. I am also open to other suggestions you may have. (I really love this community.)

I know this isn't that wide of a selection so I'm hoping it'll be easy. The mobo has to have built in wifi.

So which z370 mini-ITX is best for overclocking, or at least "good enough"?

I'd probably go with the Asus, tbh.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

My asus ROG board has issues with voltage control, pushing >1.5v to my chip while set to 1.35. Stock everything has no issues though.

I'd recommend asrock's fatality board, its the only other good Z370 board on the market other than the Z370i from asus

8 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

My asus ROG board has issues with voltage control, pushing >1.5v to my chip while set to 1.35. Stock everything has no issues though.

I'd recommend asrock's fatality board, its the only other good Z370 board on the market other than the Z370i from asus

My only concern with the ASRock board is the lack of a heatsink on the top VRMs. I think they are the DRAM VRMs. Although I don't know how much that influences performance. 

On 8/2/2018 at 10:45 PM, dizmo said:

On 8/2/2018 at 10:50 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

I am torn between these two. And I need to pick one asap. My CPU has arrived. I have everything but the mobo.

3 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

I am torn between these two. And I need to pick one asap. My CPU has arrived. I have everything but the mobo.

Need 2 m.2? Asus.

Need 1 m.2? AsRock.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

33 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Need 2 m.2? Asus.

Need 1 m.2? AsRock.

No m.2 in this build for awhile.

The ASRock one worries me because it doesn't have a heatsink on the DRAM VRMs.

2 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

The ASRock one worries me because it doesn't have a heatsink on the DRAM VRMs.

Is DRAM VRM cooling really that important? I've honestly never seen a motherboard have heatsinks for the DRAM VRMs, and this is dating back to even the Athlon MP days.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Is DRAM VRM cooling really that important? I've honestly never seen a motherboard have heatsinks for the DRAM VRMs, and this is dating back to even the Athlon MP days.

All the other motherboards have the heatsink on the DRAM VRMs. Unless I am confusing what the VRMs are above the CPU socket are. I thought those are the DRAM VRMs for mini-ITX boards.

Just now, Sin Stalker said:

All the other motherboards have the heatsink on the DRAM VRMs. Unless I am confusing what the VRMs are above the CPU socket are. I thought those are the DRAM VRMs for mini-ITX boards.

Red = DRAM VRMs/power phases.

Blue = CPU VRMs and power phases.

Green = Z370 chipset

image.png.17764a405dee4a59384d517fd5e5eb48.png

Once you see where the power gets supplied, you can kind of tell what the VRMs and power phases are for. For example, your DIMMs get power from the board directly, or via the 24 pin connector. Based off of that, the VRMs would have to come between the 24 pin connector and the DIMM slots.

The CPU gets its power from the 8 pin connector, and requires much more than the DIMMs, hence the higher amount of VRMs and power phases found between the CPU socket and 8 pin connector.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

On Mini-ITX, AsRock has the better VRM.

Also it has a Thunderbolt 3 port (only 20Gbps though).

I was considering Strix Z370G /Z370I and the AsRock mb. I went with the EVGA Z370 Micro and I'm very glad I did, but think I would be happy with the AsRock as well.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

18 hours ago, chckovsky said:

On Mini-ITX, AsRock has the better VRM.

Also it has a Thunderbolt 3 port (only 20Gbps though).

I was considering Strix Z370G /Z370I and the AsRock mb. I went with the EVGA Z370 Micro and I'm very glad I did, but think I would be happy with the AsRock as well.

I've seen evidence that AsRock was lying about the type and the marker of the VRMs they were putting on their AM4 boards. I am worried about the accuracy of Asrock's z370 boards... 

On 8/8/2018 at 1:10 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Red = DRAM VRMs/power phases.

Blue = CPU VRMs and power phases.

Green = Z370 chipset

image.png.17764a405dee4a59384d517fd5e5eb48.png

Once you see where the power gets supplied, you can kind of tell what the VRMs and power phases are for. For example, your DIMMs get power from the board directly, or via the 24 pin connector. Based off of that, the VRMs would have to come between the 24 pin connector and the DIMM slots.

The CPU gets its power from the 8 pin connector, and requires much more than the DIMMs, hence the higher amount of VRMs and power phases found between the CPU socket and 8 pin connector.

Why does it not need a heatsink on the VRMs above the CPU slot? Are those for the iGPU or something that doesn't need alot of power or over clocking?

2 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

Why does it not need a heatsink on the VRMs above the CPU slot? Are those for the iGPU or something that doesn't need alot of power or over clocking?

Those are still CPU VRMs, but my guess is that they wouldn't have been able to fit a heatsink on there.

48 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Those are still CPU VRMs, but my guess is that they wouldn't have been able to fit a heatsink on there.

Wouldn't that hurt performance or at least OC performance? It is my main hessitation with this board. All the other brands have heatsinks there.

6 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

Wouldn't that hurt performance or at least OC performance? It is my main hessitation with this board. All the other brands have heatsinks there.

If there's good airflow, you should be fine.

52 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Wouldn't that hurt performance or at least OC performance

No, DDR4 is so low powered it shouldn't be a problem, even with limited airflow.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

8 hours ago, chckovsky said:

No, DDR4 is so low powered it shouldn't be a problem, even with limited airflow.

I was already shown that we aren't talking about the VRMs on the DIMs.

9 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If there's good airflow, you should be fine.

It is a mini ITX case with an aio for the CPU. Idk about air flow ...

I've run a 125w phenom X6 on a board without ANY VRM heatsinks.

The major ones have been taken care of on the asrock board. I'd go for it. If there's issues, you can put a thermal pad between the back of the board and mobo tray to further dissipate heat.

3 hours ago, Sin Stalker said:

I was already shown that we aren't talking about the VRMs on the DIMs.

iGPU VRM shouldn't be a problem either. It's a true 5 phase Vcore VRM + 2 phases for the iGPU. The two above the CPU are NOT part of the Vcore VRM.

On 8/11/2018 at 2:15 AM, chckovsky said:

iGPU VRM shouldn't be a problem either. It's a true 5 phase Vcore VRM + 2 phases for the iGPU. The two above the CPU are NOT part of the Vcore VRM.

I see.

Well thank you all for the information, unfortunately the decision was taken out of my hands. My daughter saw the two boards I was looking at (ASROCK and ASUS) and she saw the RGB on the ASUS board. So she is very adamant about that board.