Extremely annoying white bar along the top of full screen windows

Okay, so I get this error mostly in Spotify and Discord.

Someone else also has it and has posted about it on the Spotify Forums: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Fullscreen-mode-is-glitching/m-p/4450574

It looks something like this:

In Discord:

image.png.71546cd68b9b5a605b254445e2b23239.png

Spotify:

image.png.9218da77d94d1c114cb5a5a9caf97635.png

If the white bar is present, the window also gets cut off by the taskbar below, looking something like this:

image.png.82145c1a28514cd2080df129d0bccb1a.png

As you can see, on the right the text is covered by the taskbar.

In Discord:

image.png.28d23b871c04cf6bb68b91b33eb4547d.png

My profile name is covered once again.

This issue only occurs while in fullscreen mode every other time I put the application in fullscreen mode. What I mean by this is I open Discord/Spotify and maximize it, there is no white bar. Then I close it and the next time I reopen it in full screen the issue is there. Then I can toggle it off fullscreen mode and back into fullscreen and the issue will be gone until I reopen the application in fullscreen.

Apparently, it's a Windows bug, but my friend running the same version of Windows and same version of Discord and Spotify and he doesn't get the white bar (anymore- he used to but it fixed itself.) 

I am running the latest version Windows 10:

image.png.6515a1ef0c7bb12a352f65cf66f12e76.png

My graphics drivers are updated.

My system:

Intel i7 8700K @5GHz

Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming motherboard

G.SKILL TridentZ RAM 16GB (8gbx2)

Asus Strix GTX 1070

Samsung 850 EVO SSD (250gb)

WD Blue (1TB)

Dual monitors (Asus VC239H) x2

The issue has been present for at least 2 months, if not more. I feel that if it truly was a Windows bug, that a lot of people had, it would have already been fixed.

Any help greatly appreciated.

You might need to do a clean install of your GPU drivers or of windows.

That will probably fix it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I tried to reproduce this but I haven't still reproduced this effect. Try using only one screen and see if the issue appears.

10 minutes ago, DayumFearlessMint said:

I tried to reproduce this but I haven't still reproduced this effect. Try using only one screen and see if the issue appears.

I've unplugged my secondary monitor and the issue still appears.

19 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You might need to do a clean install of your GPU drivers or of windows.

That will probably fix it.

I've also now tried uninstalling and reinstalling Nvidia drivers, but the issue still occurs. Now I'm going to try repairing Windows via the installer. If that doesn't work then I'll do a full wipe.

Thanks for the help.

Now I was thinking about Electron (web-ui js base) that it may be its fault. 

Spotify's backend consists of many interdependent services, connected by own messaging protocol over ZeroMQ. Around 80% of these services are written in Python. The non-Python services are typically written in Java, although we do have a few using C or C++. Speed is a big focus for Spotify.

Only discord is running spotify.. That defeats the meaning of the electron issue. 

42 minutes ago, DayumFearlessMint said:

Now I was thinking about Electron (web-ui js base) that it may be its fault. 

Only discord is running spotify.. That defeats the meaning of the electron issue. 

Might be as I've semi-reinstalled Windows (keeping my apps and files) and the problem is still here.

Not sure if I really want to fully reinstall Windows if it might not even fix the issue. Might hold off that one for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2018 at 6:20 PM, DayumFearlessMint said:

Reinstall discord/spotify.

I've tried that. And now I have also completely wiped my drives and reinstalled Windows and everything else. The problem is still here. 

On 7/22/2018 at 10:56 AM, MrSuper said:

I've tried that. And now I have also completely wiped my drives and reinstalled Windows and everything else. The problem is still here. 

did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same issue with discord and my browser.

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/07/2018 at 10:29 PM, bobhays said:

did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same issue with discord and my browser.

Unfortunately not. Reinstalled Windows completely and issue still present. 

• 2 weeks later...

2/9/2018 - Problem fixed.

Came back from holiday and the problem is gone. Must have been either a Windows update or a nvidia graphics update.

• 2 years later...

I got this issue just now and what I did to fix it is changed the display resolution to some random ratio and just reverted it back. Hopefully this works for you too.