PS4 Slim or Pro ??

morte9933

Hello guys I need help deciding which PS4 Console to buy.

1. There is PS4 slim 500 GB version and 1TB version  ( Which one is newer? )

2. which is the newest and best model 2116B or 2116A ?

3. PS4 Slim or Pro?

4. is there any isues in Slim like overheating and stuff?

** I dont have a 4k TV (gonna buy a 1080p Monitor) and I mostly want to play Fortnite (without frame drops)

Please help me guys.

11 minutes ago, morte9933 said:

As in you don't already have a PC?

Just find a used PS4 that's cheap and buy that.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Buy a pc

Exactly why people hate the "pc gamer" type 

I've never had our slim overheat. Just get whichevers cheaper, fortnite plays on everything

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

6 minutes ago, morte9933 said:

2. which is the newest and best model 2116B or 2116A ?

3. PS4 Slim or Pro?

** I dont have a 4k TV (gonna buy a 1080p Monitor) and I mostly want to play Fortnite (without frame drops)

Please help me guys.

Buy the PS4 slim, or wait for consoles capable of actually rendering 4K content at 4K resolution when (or if) you're ready to go to 4K. We've got the first Slim model that came with physical buttons (because whoever thought that touch capacitive buttons were a good idea clearly never owned any pets) and haven't had any overheating. That being said, the media cabinet we have it in has a giant breathing hole cut in the back of it, so be sure to give lots of air around any console, cable box, or home theatre receiver.

According to the internet, 2116A is the older packaged model of the PS4 Slim, while 2116B appears to just be newer packaging with labels to indicate things like VR and HDR ready. Older PS4 slim models are just as capable (or rather, incapable) of VR and HDR as newer ones with the appropriate updates installed. The HDD can always be upgraded at a later date if needed, but based on the fact that game updates can take 50GB or more, I recommend getting the 1TB model for sure.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Isn't the Slim just the old PS4 but smaller? If you want to play the latest games at the best possible settings (for PS4), you'll need the Pro.

But if all you want to play is Fortnite, get whichever is cheaper I guess.
I'd personally suggest just buying a desktop PC or upgrading your current one, since you can do so much more with it, but that's just me.

Do take note that if you play Fortnite on PS4, your account will be locked to PS4 only, you will no longer be able to use it on other consoles or on PC.(just more Sony bullshit)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

If you've got the budget for a pro, get that

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Get the pro. Better than the slim, and performs better than the Xbox one s from experience. I haven't had it freeze or drop frames ever. On doom or any other intensive game on the highest resolution capable. 

No budget was mentioned, so all suggestions are based on that. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Thanks all for replying. So I have enough budget for a pro but have to get a monitor too coz otherwise i have to plug it in to the TV which my parents wont like so much. So if i get the 500GB Slim will there be any issues on 1080P? do I have to get an external cooler? Which way should i keep it vertically or Horizontally?

I have a good gaming PC and a PS4 Pro, great combo.  If you like your games to have a few extra bells and whistles or higher frame rates grab the pro, if those things don't bother you grab the slim.  

but a slim and save your money. 

both the consoles are usually cpu bottlenecked because they used a garbage cpu when designing the consoles. this means that the framerate will generally be very similar and its just the graphics settings and/or resolution that are bumped up

because of this and the fact that you only wanna play fortnite i recommend a slim

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

9 hours ago, morte9933 said:

Why do you want a PS4?
Are there games you are interested in?

Both should be the same

And since the Drive is a user replacable part, you don't need to worry too much about the size in the beginning.

But games are huge. So between 20-80GiB.
So a 500GB Drive is only enough for like 5-7 Games.

3. PS4 Slim or Pro?

Depends on how much you are planning on using it.

If only once or twice for an hour or two per Week, Slim.

If more than that, PRO.

The difference is that you can get better performance and visuals out of many newer games.

Depends on where you live and how.

If you chainsmoke infront of the Console, that will reduce the lifetime. 

If you live in a rather clean enviroment, that isn't an issue.

Please help me guys.

That doesn't sound like a great reason for a PS4 tbh.

If you don't want to play one of the many exclusives, its kinda pointless.

But as others mentioned, a PC might be a better option for you.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

9 hours ago, Slottr said:
9 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

Buy a pc

Exactly why people hate the "pc gamer" type 

while I kinda agree with Firewrath9, I also have to say that with the lack of reasoning for that, I agree more with Slottr in this case...

While there is a reason for PC, one should always post more than 6 Letters and two spaces. Its not that hard...

The Problem with the PC is that for something that has a Performance equal or better than a PS4 you have to pay at least 50% more or know what you are doing and buying used.

9 hours ago, kirashi said:

Buy the PS4 slim, or wait for consoles capable of actually rendering 4K content at 4K resolution when (or if) you're ready to go to 4K.

He said that he does only plan to get a 1080p Screen. So that doesn't matter.

What matters is that the PS4 PRO has a slightly faster CPU and a way faster, more modern GPU (Polaris with 2k Shader).

And many games just look better on the PS4 PRO or you can choose that they perform better. Its not just the 4K stuff that is a reason for the PRO :)

We've got the first Slim model that came with physical buttons (because whoever thought that touch capacitive buttons were a good idea clearly never owned any pets) and haven't had any overheating.

Oh yeah, I totally agree. That's always something that's annoying with the XBox 360. You just put your finger near the button and it turns on although you don't want it to. The physical buttons are just soo much better because it reduces the accidental pushes by a mile or two.

but based on the fact that game updates can take 50GB or more, I recommend getting the 1TB model for sure.

No, because the price of the one TB PS4 Slim is just so close to the PRO that it makes little to no sense...

In Generall I'd say that the price of the normal PS4 Slim is a bit on the High Side. And should be more in the region of the XBox One S...

Right now the cheapest 1TB PS4 SLim is around 300€.

The 500GB is almost 50€ Cheaper than that. 

And 1TB Drives start at around 40€

The PS4 PRO starts at around 380€ wich is only ~70€ or so more than the 1TB Slim, though 120€ more than the 500GB.

Sorry, but that totally eliminates the 1TB Slim model and only leaves two options:
PS4 Slim with 500GB Drive

PS4 PRO with 1TB Drive

9 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Isn't the Slim just the old PS4 but smaller?

It is but a bit better.

AFAIR the Slim has 5GHz AC Lan, the PS4 only 2.4GHz WLAN.

Support for HDMI 2.0

but no optical Out no more.

7 hours ago, morte9933 said:

Thanks all for replying. So I have enough budget for a pro but have to get a monitor too coz otherwise i have to plug it in to the TV which my parents wont like so much. So if i get the 500GB Slim will there be any issues on 1080P? do I have to get an external cooler? Which way should i keep it vertically or Horizontally?

No, but I'd get the PRO and save for the Monitor or get a used one.

You need one with HDMI and if possible speakers but a 3,5mm output with external Speakers works as well.

You can also use a normal piece of Headset or earplugs and plug them into the Controller that also works.

As for the Screen, something that works you can have for like 75€ or so. 21,5" Full HD with shitty TN. Nothing to write home about...

1 hour ago, Nickathom said:

both the consoles are usually cpu bottlenecked because they used a

garbage cpu when designing the consoles.

Jaguar isn't that bad...

And at the time (around 2010 or so) there was nothing else available.

Bulldozer was too late to be implemented in the consoles. And Sony could not wait. M$ could but they also didn't for whatever reason...

Note that only select games are PS4 Pro enhanced, so most games have minimal benefit from running on Pro. I think Fortnite is PS4 Pro enabled, but you'll need to watch some Digital Foundry comparison or something to see if it is worth it for you.

Typically games with Pro support give you 2 or 3 graphical options that favor performance at 1080p, higher resolution (in your case that will be subsampled back to 1080p, so it's more like brute force anti-aliasing), and perhaps a mode that's some compromise in between.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-fortnites-new-patch-really-does-deliver-60fps

5 hours ago, ono said:

Note that only select games are PS4 Pro enhanced, so most games have minimal benefit from running on Pro.

While that is true, you still have the benefits of the "Boost Mode" and probably "Super Sampling Mode", wich allows you better performance.

Thanks all brothers  for the answers. I bought the 500GB Slim Bundle with Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition, Uncharted 4 and Gran Turismo with the 3 months PS Plus Subscription for 375$. If I am to use it for 6 hours everyday will it be alright??