The MBX MKII - 038 -

Hello people, I thought maybe it was time to start a build log for this puppy, after I've held off doing much with it (for various reasons) for an embarrassingly long time.

I originally received the MBX MKII in December of 2016. For various reasons it was stuck in storage for a long time though, and I only finished building a basic build in it in October last year. But rather than dwell on the past, I'm focusing on now - I have a lot of time, and I've mostly sorted out my things here after a recent move. So now we're building, albeit somewhat in steps. For one, I'm still working to afford a few more watercooling parts before I put it under water.

Before we move to pictures, let's throw in the specs:

CPU: Intel i7 5820k

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth X99

RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill Value 2400MHz C15

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

PSU: EVGA Supernova G3 750w

SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

HDD: WD Green 3TB

Update: The build is done!

NOAgZa0h.png

7E4xrHYh.png

q4136F4h.png

L9WoTsbh.png

iVfObHPh.png

JlzvJx9h.png

EySJABlh.png

Old post:

Now this build isn't complete, far from it even, so please be patient with me. :) 

dTMofaVh.png

lJ7fegSh.png

It'll get better. :P But I wanted to finish making the PCIe cables at the very least before I go and change that up. I'm looking to replace all the cables that aren't individually sleeved yet.

yxhZj0Ah.png

GFrF0Wxh.png

Alright, that's PCIe 8pin #1 done. Now to cut, crimp and sleeve another one.

pCOXXQAh.png

Update:

Finished another cable. :D

6TfALa7h.png

Edited by Drunkenvalley
Additional cable complete.

Alright, fellas. We've got a radiator! And I gotta say, the previous owner packaged this real good.

WQWcRcdh.png m1MOsKgh.png  RuCNxUxh.png

That said, it's a used radiator, and it shows. I'm undecided whether I want to leave it as is in memory of past times (sans fixing the fins up a lil'). Or to repaint the casing (taking care not to paint the fins).

nrAAlFTh.png ZDucv5oh.png Jn6UOJsh.png

Not the most flattering picture, but here's an update all the same. I had to uninstall the PSU to test a new cable, so when putting it back together I opted to install the new PCIe cables too, and also put in the radiator, sort of as a testfit.

dkms6DSh.png

I'm a lil' dizzy today though, so I'll have to get back to you on more pictures.

I'm going to be spending some time sleeving my 24pin today, so not much to show right now... o.O But I did get some tips from Maple Syrup Mods on the EK discord. I didn't know you could pop the cap off your D5 pump! Let me put the heatshrink behind the cap, turning the visible result into a shrinkless pump! 

lZRYuJCh.png

The 24 pin cable is done!

MttSOuJh.png

I've gone ahead and tested it, then put it into the PC. Also toyed around with the P-clips accompanying the case... but there are some problems. Most of the female threads in the motherboard tray are duds. The M3 screws to be used simply drop into the hole, not catching on to any thread... Emailed xforma for advice, but in the meantime I used some of the ones that worked!

VKqgko2h.png

So question for you all. What do I do about the screw holes that are too big for the intended screws? 

49 minutes ago, Drunkenvalley said:

So question for you all. What do I do about the screw holes that are too big for the intended screws? 

Where there's a drill, there's a way.

Or get the intended screws. Or two-sided velcro sticky shit. Or twist-ties.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like it'll be time to drill and tap. Now where's the 3mm drill bit...

XdkyEE5h.jpg

...Damn it, past self.

Today has been a long day. I've taken apart the MKII almost entirely, sleeved cables and rebuilt it. I've put waterblocks on my cards. I've tapped the screws for the P-clips in the back. I've improved the cable management. But light's out. So I can only really show a little bit of the journey right now, from when I took pictures of the main "structure".

bhO2oahh.png  uOFQjaIh.png  TRPCpkgh.png

And today, we take a look at the end result of stripping down the case and doing small things all over the place. Now I just have to decide on my tubing runs and all that fun stuff.

a7xrLLsh.png  mIRvYRbh.png

Due to unforeseen circumstances (read: indecision) I need a bit more time than I anticipated. Oh well! Here's picture of radiator fans in the meanwhile.

lHPvd2Bh.png

• 1 year later...

I caught your log on OCN. Great results. and Thank you again for sharing your project.

I was given opportunity through referral from Charles to do an MBX build. It will be my first. I'm still debating about doing stainless or copper loop. 

17 years of helping you void your warranty

• 3 years later...
On 4/25/2020 at 9:03 AM, Mnpctech said:

I caught your log on OCN. Great results. and Thank you again for sharing your project.

I was given opportunity through referral from Charles to do an MBX build. It will be my first. I'm still debating about doing stainless or copper loop. 

Did you ever do that build? I have a case, but it's missing some parts...

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really really special build. You can see how much care went into every part good job!

• 4 weeks later...

Very clean. Those cables look so good.

GPU 7900XTX CPU 5800X3D RAM 2x16GB DDR4 3600Hz CL18 PSU be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W 

Case Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitors 1440p 165Hz 27" (H) - 1080p 120Hz 24" (V) Audio DT770 Pro/Momentum TW2 

Laptop 2023 MacBook Pro 14" M2Pro Phones iPhone 13 Pro Max/Galaxy S20+/Galaxy S9+ Wearable Apple Watch Series 8

My full rig

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2023 at 10:06 AM, Mnpctech said:

I had to decline his offer, I was overwhelmed with commitments to other builds for marketing games.  You can contact Xforma regarding parts here, https://xforma.com/contact.html

Thank you for replying. The website is down now. Even when it was up, I couldn't get a response out of the email listed there.