[Review] California Headphone Company - Silverado

ShearMe

You bought $50 CLOSED headphones and expected sound stage?

Then you broke them trying to mod them into oblivion and bitch about the design.. zzzzzz  If you wanted soundstage you shouldn't of bought a cheap closed headphone lol.

The soundstage isn't bad like some other closed headphones I've tried, but it obviously isn't up to snuff with an open headphone.

The earcup elements are what tunes the cheapo driver to sound good, so I dunno what this guy was thinking by trying to mess with all that jazz.

The soundstage isn't bad like some other closed headphones I've tried, but it obviously isn't up to snuff with an open headphone.

The earcup elements are what tunes the cheapo driver to sound good, so I dunno what this guy was thinking by trying to mess with all that jazz.

You know what I mean though, this guy bought a $50 closed can expecting it to have the soundstage and frequency response of an HD800 or something? I don't even.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

This is the best! Audio especially the rock music I listen to is beyond belief, not to mention the delicious industrial design that actually uses metal and leather. Feels amazing on my head  :)

Thanks for making this review and helping my decision on these sexy gold cans!\

Color me impressed, don't color my audio ;D

Hey lemur, hows dem headphones holdin' up?

Hey lemur, hows dem headphones holdin' up?

They're still good the thing I have noticed with them for using them a lot it that they do weight too much to wear more than a few hours at a time and the top cushion could be thicker to help with that. Other than some minor things they still sound and work great.

They're still good the thing I have noticed with them for using them a lot it that they do weight too much to wear more than a few hours at a time and the top cushion could be thicker to help with that. Other than some minor things they still sound and work great.

Like the cables.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Like the cables.

I don't like the fact that they are the only ones that work on the headphones but they are nice and braided. The sharing port on them seems weird though and I've never used it. They also sometimes come loose from the connector on the headphone but not often. and when they come loose music still plays fine and everything they're just not fully seated.

I have to say, i love my chc's. I got mine for the $50 price and i couldent be any happier with them. I recently built my own replacement cable for mine that is much longer. It really makes a massive difference. Not in sound quality, but in convenience. The stock cable was the only thing that was wrong with them

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

were can i get this?

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

• 2 months later...

Hey, just wondering:

The headphones up for sale on Amazon in that link and here in the UK look like knock-offs. There's some notable differences between the ones pictured on their site and these ones. Maybe this would explain the massive price discount? I was looking to grab these for when I'm listening to psyche rock because they're apparently great for that, but now I'm kinda worried...

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, just wondering:

The headphones up for sale on Amazon in that link and here in the UK look like knock-offs. There's some notable differences between the ones pictured on their site and these ones. Maybe this would explain the massive price discount? I was looking to grab these for when I'm listening to psyche rock because they're apparently great for that, but now I'm kinda worried...

No, Amazon's pictures are just white washed and terrible. I ordered mine off Amazon, as well as countless others who've reported similar good things.

Still, for the price on Amazon.co.uk, you could nearly get a Momentum On-Ear if you're truly that worried about the low price.

well my mom just broke my cord for it so do u guys know were i can get one ?

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

thanks

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

Looks, Build, Fit

med_gallery_2468_769_932615.jpg  med_gallery_2468_769_785053.jpg med_gallery_2468_769_59106.jpg

Yes, that's all-metal construction. Yes, that's real leather padding. The CHC Silverado is a fashion headphone through and through. Fashion headphones from the likes of Skullcandy, Beats Electronics, etc. are well-known for being horrendously overpriced for the cheap creaky plastic you get, but newer companies like V-Moda and CHC are breaking that trend quickly. These seem like the best built headphones in my collection to date. Clamp is tightest I've had in a headphone, and the pads are stiff, but those two factors combined make the headphone comfortable in a snug, vice-grip-on-the-head kind of way. The band stretches out easily enough over a PC case if you don't like the clamp, but I've accidentally worn them for 12 hours straight once, and have even fallen asleep in them a few times. I was skeptical of real leather earpads before, but I quite like them now that I've had a try. Even when sweating, they don't get sticky like pleather does, and dry off better with a quick wipe down. 

The two negatives of the build are the only two negatives I have of the entire headphone: 1) the headband padding is thin and not plush enough to really do anything for comfort, and 2) the cable is cheap, lightweight, and thin. Comfort is already good enough for me to personally not worry about 1), and the cable is replaceable to not worry much about 2). Unfortunately, it's wired weird, so you need to buy the replacement straight from CHC or make your own - not cool CHC!.

Sound

1d6df896f0fbda57f251c449da8ec199.png

via InnerFidelity

The marketing material behind this company is all about making Rock music sound great, but in reality, it sounds FUCKING FANTASTIC. These are no slouch with other genres either, because the whole frequency range is well represented. After burn-in, I can say I think these would be bright headphones without those "metal sound chambers" which amplify the upper bass/lower mids and add some reverb. They give a sort of concert-hall type sound (not exaggerated like that setting in the Realtek control panel) which is very interesting and pleasant to the ears. The chambers also make the soundstage supreme in those frequencies for which they are tuned - like when a guitar is only in one of the channels. In certain songs by Grace Potter and The Nocturnals, the band has two guitars playing relatively the same notes, but they vary in distortion, note lengths, etc. With these headphones, I can more distinctly hear the two separate guitars than with any other. It's pretty cool. 

When I first put them on, I was surprised at how nice the bass was because I expected something more neutral or mid-friendly. For you super bass heads out there, these EQ very nicely. Using the bass boost switch on my E10, and I get a nice brain massage with my bass-heavy songs. I think I'm going to be recommending them over the V-Moda Crossfade LP from now on if the price stays low. Unlike the LP, the bass does not extend into the mids and muddy things up - the highs are still crystal clear to my ears, though I am a treble sensitive bass head. Not the prettiest graph, but it aint terrible either. Isolation is great. It's nice to finally have a pair with good isolation and low leakage.

Conclusion

Some audiophiles will scoff at the measurement graphs, but when you consider the headphone as a whole it's hard to rule it out as a good option on the market. Sure, there's a cheap driver thrown in and tuned by the earcup design. Sure, the cable rather blows. But with the nice build quality, great isolation, and "fun" sound signature, it's easy to dismiss those faults. After updating this post with conclusion, the Silverado has been "on sale" for $50 on Amazon for weeks. At this price, there's nothing that comes close to competing for closed, over-ear, portable headphones.

Since the silverados cost $260 from amazon what do you think about these http://www.amazon.com/California-Headphone-Company-Leather-Headphones/dp/B0093LNRYI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418693843&sr=8-2&keywords=california+headphones+silverado&pebp=1418693864233

Good review @ShearMe! I've got no regrets with purchasing this headphone, $30 was a steal really. Another headphone with a fun sound signature to add into my collection!

How long do you take to burn in your headphones? 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

They should sound similar, but the cable isn't removable, and on-ear headphones are typically somewhat uncomfortable. However, if you're ok with a cheap headphone not lasting forever, it might be worth a try.

I just ordered a pair because I'm tired of people asking this question and not knowing what to tell them.

How long do you take to burn in your headphones? 

I don't perform any voodoo rituals on my headphones. The "burn-in" process/effect is real, but does not substantially change the way a headphone sounds. Let it happen naturally as you use them, because sometimes it's more about getting your brain used to the way they sound than any physical change in the headphones themselves.

They should sound similar, but the cable isn't removable, and on-ear headphones are typically somewhat uncomfortable. However, if you're ok with a cheap headphone not lasting forever, it might be worth a try.

I just ordered a pair because I'm tired of people asking this question and not knowing what to tell them.

I don't perform any voodoo rituals on my headphones. The "burn-in" process/effect is real, but does not substantially change the way a headphone sounds. Let it happen naturally as you use them, because sometimes it's more about getting your brain used to the way they sound than any physical change in the headphones themselves.

Oh I did not notice they were on-ear, totally hate on-ears since the Senn's momentum came out, its a nono for my type of head/ears.

Totally agree, burning cans in is about getting used to the sound, eventually it will change the graph but you just have to let it happen naturally.

I've amended the OP with the following:

The Silverado has recently become unavailable on Amazon. There have been some good prices on eBay still, but otherwise the only place I know to get them is on CHC's website for MSRP prices. As such, I've got a CHC Laredo on my head as I've heard questions about it in the past. They sound amazing, IMO, just like the Silverado. I've already noticed some bass panning and a mouth pop I've never heard before on some songs in my Starred playlist on Spotify. 

The pieces holding the forks are plastic, the metal doesn't have as nice a finish, the cable is shorter and non-removable, and the pads are pleather. Good pleather, but the interior shape is oval and kinda weird. Because the cups are circular, I've rotated the oval to my taste, which I guess is a partial plus. Overall build feels kinda loose and wobbly in the hand, but is tight on the head. Not as confident in the $99 MSRP as I was about the Silverado's $200, but if it stays under $75 I'd reckon it's still recommendable if the Silverado stays out of commission.

FYI

I've amended the OP with the following:

The Silverado has recently become unavailable on Amazon. There have been some good prices on eBay still, but otherwise the only place I know to get them is on CHC's website for MSRP prices. As such, I've got a CHC Laredo on my head as I've heard questions about it in the past. They sound amazing, IMO, just like the Silverado. I've already noticed some bass panning and a mouth pop I've never heard before on some songs in my Starred playlist on Spotify. 

The pieces holding the forks are plastic, the metal doesn't have as nice a finish, the cable is shorter and non-removable, and the pads are pleather. Good pleather, but the interior shape is oval and kinda weird. Because the cups are circular, I've rotated the oval to my taste, which I guess is a partial plus. Overall build feels kinda loose and wobbly in the hand, but is tight on the head. Not as confident in the $99 MSRP as I was about the Silverado's $200, but if it stays under $75 I'd reckon it's still recommendable if the Silverado stays out of commission.

I'm using my Laredos right now. :D They definitely have a bit more punch than my flattish ATH-T400s.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I'm using my Laredos right now. :D They definitely have a bit more punch than my flattish ATH-T400s.

How long have you had them? Do the pads break down nicely? I might try to find a replacement, and look into a jack mod.

Mine came with the cable able to push further into the cup - opened them up to find no one bothered to push the knots into the catch.

How long have you had them? Do the pads break down nicely? I might try to find a replacement, and look into a jack mod.

Mine came with the cable able to push further into the cup - opened them up to find no one bothered to push the knots into the catch.

My pads are breaking down just fine.

Also, I did not know that, and it looks like they had a version with completely replaceable cables.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.