How Hot Do the Heat Pipes of a CPU Cooler Get?

Go to solution Solved by Lady Fitzgerald,

I found the temperature of the heat shrinks I have is 110C (it shrinks at 121C) so I'm goiing to pull the cable, then strip the sleeving and replace it with a length of heat shrink. Problem solved.

Thanks for the help, you all!

Asus, in its infinite wisdom (rolleyes.gif), placed a power connector socket in the middle of the MOBO going into my new build. Since it's impossible to access once the CPU cooler (in this case, a Noctua NH-D15s) and graphics card are installed, made a short extension cable to run along side the RAM to the top of the MOBO where I can easily connect and disconnect a cable. However, once I installed the cooler, I found the cable is held against the coolers heat pipes heading up to the fins.

In all the years I've had computers, I've never touched a heat pipe in operation so I have no idea how hot they get. Do I need to worry about the heat pipes getting so hot they will melt the insulation of the cable or can I leave the cable where it is now? I can make a slightly longer one and route it over the top of the RAM but that would be a royal pain in the neck and wouldn't look as good.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

The melting point of rubber is 180C. If your heat pipes are above that, you have bigger problems than a melted wire.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Heatpipes ideally would be the same temperature as the CPU in order to transfer as much heat away as possible. It would also depend on the type (quantity and quality) of heatpipes - better ones being hotter.

If you have a 100 watt CPU on a cooler rated for 250 watts then the heatpipes would be cooler than if the CPU was on a ccooler rated for 100 watts.

I think a reasonable estimate would be ~5C less than your CPU temperature.

Edit: Don't listen to anything I say. Brain 2/10 right now.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Just now, aisle9 said:

The melting point of rubber is 180C. If your heat pipes are above that, you have bigger problems than a melted wire.

The cable is sleeved with plastic and the wire insulation is PVC.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

3 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

Heatpipes ideally would be the same temperature as the CPU in order to transfer as much heat away as possible. It would also depend on the type (quantity and quality) of heatpipes - better ones being hotter.

If you have a 100 watt CPU on a cooler rated for 250 watts - then the heatpipes would be cooler than if on a CPU cooler rated for 100 watts,

The CPU is an i7-5930K . T-CASE is 66.8C.

Jeannie

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

The melting point of rubber is 180C.

Rubber does not have a melting point! However, at high temperatures it can degrade though...

8 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

If you have a 100 watt CPU on a cooler rated for 250 watts then the heatpipes would be cooler than if the CPU was on a ccooler rated for 100 watts.

If the heatpipes were the same temperature as the CPU they would be carrying away 0 heat.

There needs to be a large delta T for heat transfer.

Heat pipes stay much cooler.

Image result for thermal camera cpu cooler heatpipe

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Rubber does not have a melting point!

Tell that to my condoms.

And my kids.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

Tell that to my condoms.

And my kids.

Didn't saw that one coming though... xDxD

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

If the heatpipes were the same temperature as the CPU they would be carrying away 0 heat

You've got me there.

I was thinking about heat transfer from the heatpipes to the surrounding air rather from CPU to heatpipes.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Thanks for the responses. I dug out my wire and a magnifying glass and found the wire is rated for 105C which means the wire would be safe. However, i haven't been able to find the temprature rating of the sleeving. I just  did a quickie experiment where I set up my heat gun, turned it on to high, then stuck both a piece of the wire and the sleeving into the hot air stream. The wire insulation softened a bit but the sleeving started melting pretty quickly.

Jeannie

I found the temperature of the heat shrinks I have is 110C (it shrinks at 121C) so I'm goiing to pull the cable, then strip the sleeving and replace it with a length of heat shrink. Problem solved.

Jeannie

8 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Nice and neat solution! :D

I don't know about heatpipes near to bottom. On top they are safe to touch as they are as cool as they can be. Top of the plate on top of CPU is about 10C cooler than CPU itself. I have thermal probe taped on U9B cooler back when my case had those.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv