Bare Copper Heatsinks for AM2+/AM3 socket?

I have an Asus Crosshair II Formula that I want to find an all bare copper heatsink for since it'll fit the look very well with its bare copper vrm/northbridge/southbridge heatsink. Currently, I'm looking at the Zalman - CNPS9900ALED, though I'm not 100% sure if it can cope with the heat output of a Phenom II X6 1090T with an overclock. I will be using some conductonaut to get the best cooling performance out of whatever cooler I go with but as of right now, I'm not sure what all options are out there. Nearly all heatsinks on the market have aluminum fins and any that might have copper fins, they're usually plated with nickel or another metal.

let me just ask, why invest money in something that old, that has no upgrade path... 

She/Her

i mean, it's a decent cpu, but in a few years it'll be useless..  outside of general stuff like light gaming and web browsing.. 

She/Her

Because I already have it and when OC'd, its on par or slightly slower than a FX-9590/8350. That and I don't like throwing things away.

The old chips on the AMD platform use a lot of power, so I recommend getting a heatsink with a 120mm fan. A Noctua NH-D15. Its a big cooler with plenty of heat dissipation. If it doesn't fit, get a water cooler like a 120mm from Corsair.

hi.

6 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

The old chips on the AMD platform use a lot of power, so I recommend getting a heatsink with a 120mm fan. A Noctua NH-D15. Its a big cooler with plenty of heat dissipation. If it doesn't fit, get a water cooler like a 120mm from Corsair.

It doesn't fit the copper aesthetic I want, otherwise I would use that or the Corsair H110i GTX I have.

4 hours ago, Troika said:

It doesn't fit the copper aesthetic I want, otherwise I would use that or the Corsair H110i GTX I have.

Are you adamant on the idea of a copper heatsink or are you just aiming for a look? Heatsinks can be easy to paint without any notable harm to performance.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

31 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you adamant on the idea of a copper heatsink or are you just aiming for a look? Heatsinks can be easy to paint without any notable harm to performance.

Both. I found this thing, whick looks dope and appears to be what I want but I can't find what tdp its rated for. It has a lot of mass to it and a 6 heatpipe design so maybe it'll perform well enough but the website claims that its not a good idea to use in upright cases.

http://thermalright.com/product/true-copper/

Plus, whether the fans are crap or not, I intend to replace them with some Noctua NF-A12s. They're some of the best pressure optimized fans out there and surprisingly, the beige and turd colors those have sorta kinda work with what I'm aiming for.xD

On 5/24/2018 at 10:28 PM, Troika said:

Both. I found this thing, whick looks dope and appears to be what I want but I can't find what tdp its rated for. It has a lot of mass to it and a 6 heatpipe design so maybe it'll perform well enough but the website claims that its not a good idea to use in upright cases.

http://thermalright.com/product/true-copper/

Plus, whether the fans are crap or not, I intend to replace them with some Noctua NF-A12s. They're some of the best pressure optimized fans out there and surprisingly, the beige and turd colors those have sorta kinda work with what I'm aiming for.xD

It doesn't come with fans and you're supposed to add your own. NF-A12's are excellent and should perform very well on it.

TDP doesn't really mean much. Looking at benchmarks online, it should perform similarly to the NH-U12S.

I don't see any stories on the cooler or motherboard failing when mounted vertically but I think it'll come down to how sturdy the motherboard feels and how much you're willing to risk.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

48 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It doesn't come with fans and you're supposed to add your own. NF-A12's are excellent and should perform very well on it.

TDP doesn't really mean much. Looking at benchmarks online, it should perform similarly to the NH-U12S.

I don't see any stories on the cooler or motherboard failing when mounted vertically but I think it'll come down to how sturdy the motherboard feels and how much you're willing to risk.

Yeah, the one I found on ebay came with a fan but I wouldn't use said fan. NF-A12s are some of the best, if not, THE best pressure optimized fans on the market. As for the question of mounting, I'm thinking about going with a Corsair Carbide Air 540. It can be setup horizontally, like the CM HAF XB, good airflow and good cable management. It should be a very good canvas for me to work with. I've asked a buddy of mine for some GPU recommendations for the build and he said that a GTX 1060 6GB would do very nicely and give me the best performance without being bottlenecked too much. I was originally thinking about going with a GTX 970 but either should work just fine. What I would like is to find a blower style reference cooler with the little plex window in it. It would be pretty cool if I could copper plate the fin and get the shroud repainted to fit the flavor of the build.

10 minutes ago, Troika said:

What I would like is to find a blower style reference cooler with the little plex window in it. It would be pretty cool if I could copper plate the fin and get the shroud repainted to fit the flavor of the build.

Why blower? Are you aiming for the Titan / FE shroud look?

On 5/24/2018 at 7:52 PM, Troika said:

I have an Asus Crosshair II Formula that I want to find an all bare copper heatsink for since it'll fit the look very well with its bare copper vrm/northbridge/southbridge heatsink. Currently, I'm looking at the Zalman - CNPS9900ALED, though I'm not 100% sure if it can cope with the heat output of a Phenom II X6 1090T with an overclock. I will be using some conductonaut to get the best cooling performance out of whatever cooler I go with but as of right now, I'm not sure what all options are out there. Nearly all heatsinks on the market have aluminum fins and any that might have copper fins, they're usually plated with nickel or another metal.

The old Zalmans are your best bet, and keep in mind that some of those things are blinking huge. The only really modern heatsink made purely of copper that comes to mind is the new Cryorig copper C7, and that won't keep up with a 1090T.

Props on the retro aesthetic. I dig it.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

34 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Why blower? Are you aiming for the Titan / FE shroud look?

I just like the style they have. I currently have a EVGA GTX 780 ref card and it looks really nice.

10 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

The old Zalmans are your best bet, and keep in mind that some of those things are blinking huge. The only really modern heatsink made purely of copper that comes to mind is the new Cryorig copper C7, and that won't keep up with a 1090T.

Props on the retro aesthetic. I dig it.

I think I might have to go with either a Zalman cooler or that Cryorig Copper C7. I'm having trouble buying that Thermalright cooler. :/

13 minutes ago, Troika said:

I think I might have to go with either a Zalman cooler or that Cryorig Copper C7. I'm having trouble buying that Thermalright cooler. :/

The C7 isn't going to perform nearly as well and won't be much better than the stock cooler.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

The C7 isn't going to perform nearly as well and won't be much better than the stock cooler.

Well, considering that the stock cooler I have was from a Phenom X4 9150e, I bet it'll perform way better than that. Either way, I still need to work something out for cooling. I've been kicking around the idea of grabbing a good tower cooler and getting it copper plated. I have no idea how it'll affect the cooling performance but it'll look how I want it to.

22 minutes ago, Troika said:

Get one of the Zalman coolers. No matter what Cryorig says, the only CPU you should be overclocking with a C7 is a G3258. Some of those Zalmans were actually really solid coolers back in the day, and I have little doubt that they still are.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.