Fan comparison and opinions

So basically here is the run down, I was doing some case and interior maintenance in my computer and noticed that I had a super dusty system, never been this bad before until I noticed one of my fans was dead. So background, my case is at least 5 if not 6 years old, hell my pc is almost that old now. But that's not important. I already selected my computer chassis to replace my old one but I am having trouble picking fans, as the case does not come with any and I am serious about keeping the system cool. 

For some reference, I will be transporting my system from the InWin GROne Black and Red chassis I own to the Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic

In terms of fans I have roughly narrowed it down to the following two:

Lian-Li Bora 120 RGB: http://www.lian-li.com/bora-120-rgb/

Corsair ML120 PRO RGB: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/LED-Color/ml-pro-rgb-config/p/CO-9050075-WW

Between these two I was wondering which performs better and is likely to look better aesthetically as the Lian-Li PC O11 dynamic is a bit of a showcase case, so I want the fans to perform and be aesthetically pleasing as well. This would also be my first steps into the RGB craze.

I will accept suggestions provided two things:

They don't exceed 30 dBA, They are RGB or otherwise aesthetically pleasing, They are high performance and fit 120mm mounting positions. 

Bonus if they have or can be placed with antivibration mounting.

Thank you for your answers.

3 minutes ago, Shiruxriu said:

So basically here is the run down, I was doing some case and interior maintenance in my computer and noticed that I had a super dusty system, never been this bad before until I noticed one of my fans was dead. So background, my case is at least 5 if not 6 years old, hell my pc is almost that old now. But that's not important. I already selected my computer chassis to replace my old one but I am having trouble picking fans, as the case does not come with any and I am serious about keeping the system cool. 

For some reference, I will be transporting my system from the InWin GROne Black and Red chassis I own to the Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic

In terms of fans I have roughly narrowed it down to the following two:

Lian-Li Bora 120 RGB: http://www.lian-li.com/bora-120-rgb/

Corsair ML120 PRO RGB: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/LED-Color/ml-pro-rgb-config/p/CO-9050075-WW

Between these two I was wondering which performs better and is likely to look better aesthetically as the Lian-Li PC O11 dynamic is a bit of a showcase case, so I want the fans to perform and be aesthetically pleasing as well. This would also be my first steps into the RGB craze.

I will accept suggestions provided two things:

They don't exceed 30 dBA, They are RGB or otherwise aesthetically pleasing, They are high performance and fit 120mm mounting positions. 

Bonus if they have or can be placed with antivibration mounting.

Thank you for your answers.

Get the ML ones, they have a long life expectancy of 150,000 hours. Or this also works.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

3 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Get the ML ones, they have a long life expectancy of 150,000 hours. Or this also works.

Do you have experience using the ML120s?

Just now, Shiruxriu said:

Do you have experience using the ML120s?

No sadly, but I have done a lot of research on them. They are excellent fans.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

4 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

No sadly, but I have done a lot of research on them. They are excellent fans.

They're also practically silent.

Plus, you get bragging rights for maglev.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

They're also practically silent.

Plus, you get bragging rights for maglev.

Speaking of maglev, whats the actual placement and performance difference between it and double ball bearing?

Speaking of maglev, whats the actual placement and performance difference between it and double ball bearing?

maglev is quieter, and I think capable of higher speeds. I could be wrong.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

14 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

maglev is quieter, and I think capable of higher speeds. I could be wrong.

So I'd assume yes just from what little digging I could do, it appears Corsair is one of few to offer Maglev fans, but the technology is basically a face value thing. They are "supposedly" (Haven't used) quieter, better performing, and have a higher range of operation. Thats the bonus they get if I'm reading things right.

So I'd assume yes just from what little digging I could do, it appears Corsair is one of few to offer Maglev fans, but the technology is basically a face value thing. They are "supposedly" (Haven't used) quieter, better performing, and have a higher range of operation. Thats the bonus they get if I'm reading things right.

I've heard a lot of reports saying good things about the noise level of these fans. I don't know how they perform, but they're up there with bequiet!'s Silent Wings and Noctua's higher end.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've heard a lot of reports saying good things about the noise level of these fans. I don't know how they perform, but they're up there with bequiet!'s Silent Wings and Noctua's higher end.

Interesting, and from the high praise I hear for both areas, especially the silence of bequiet! I'd assume then that the hype would likely be worth it then huh?

Interesting, and from the high praise I hear for both areas, especially the silence of bequiet! I'd assume then that the hype would likely be worth it then huh?

Probably.

Let us know how it goes if you do get them.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Probably.

Let us know how it goes if you do get them.

Honestly with pricing being the way it is, I might try out both and then post a comparison review, because in terms of at least RGB fans, offerings at high static pressure and high airflow are a bit limited if you want control over your colors. Worse choosing options if you want it to be addressable.

So I just took a look at the availability of both. 

No surprise Corsair's offerings were up and running, could even buy them right now.

But Lian Li's offering is looking pretty sketchy. For one their website doesn't sell direct. That's fine, no harm no foul, but then they only sell on newegg in North America, unless you live up in Canada, and then you have access to amazon. That's not the weird part though.

The weird part is that this is the supposedly official selling of Lian Li's Bora fans on newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIAFST7585817

This looks really cheap and sketchy to me, so of course I asked a few questions about the fans. Will keep everyone updated on the status of those questions, but doubt I will see a reply today at all.

Here's hoping right?

Just a little side note: The Corsair ML should run on PWM and not beeing controlled by voltage.

10 hours ago, Dschijn said:

Just a little side note: The Corsair ML should run on PWM and not beeing controlled by voltage.

Yes, both it and Bora are PWM fans, but I am currently concerned about a mixture of things. For now, I've chosen the ML120s but intend to buy both once Lian Li sends me a response. 

So update, I'll likely end up doing what is a necro of this topic when the case arrives to me, and I've gotten the fans, until then. Decision has been made. Anyone interested in the difference of these two fans, go ahead and leave comments on what you're curious about but I cannot give scientific reviews but opinionated reviews. Personally looking forward to mid June when this will all matter.

New Update for everyone, Lian Li hasn't responded yet to my inquiry about the fans, but as it turns out the Bora Fans are likely so cheap because their actual frames are basically flashy plastic, still have yet to buy the fans but it will be happening soon. 

I am interested in seeing how this turns out since I also am planning on starting a build with the 011 Dynamic and am also stuck between those same fans as well

On 5/25/2018 at 9:20 PM, Shiruxriu said:

Yes, both it and Bora are PWM fans, but I am currently concerned about a mixture of things. For now, I've chosen the ML120s but intend to buy both once Lian Li sends me a response. 

I think you missed the point:

Corsair ML (and other maglev fans) can't be fed lowered voltage because operation of magnetic bearing relies on getting enough voltage.

Normal PWM fan doesn't have such limitation of bearing stopping working, if input voltage is lower.

7 hours ago, EsaT said:

I think you missed the point:

Corsair ML (and other maglev fans) can't be fed lowered voltage because operation of magnetic bearing relies on getting enough voltage.

Normal PWM fan doesn't have such limitation of bearing stopping working, if input voltage is lower.

So, I'm not sure how that is important to the context as I believe the comment that addressed PWM was directed to answer about fan headers, not voltage (Could be wrong). Also a fan not working or rather not operating when I don't need it is not a concern but a benefit. The other thing I believe was because both Corsair's ML120 Pro's and Lian Li's Bora 120 fans operate using a PWM header and were a comparison on headers. Also You can't have differing fan ranges without lowering and upping voltage correct?

Sorry if this might seem a bit of a heated reply.

8 hours ago, Cecil63077 said:

I am interested in seeing how this turns out since I also am planning on starting a build with the 011 Dynamic and am also stuck between those same fans as well

Thank you for the encouragement. Sadly, to get the case at a reasonable price, I am having to wait for it to ship on or after the 14th. Thank you Lian Li supplies and/or last minute tooling. I'll do my best, likely will only be able to testing with 3 or 9 ML120s and 3 or 9 Bora's thanks to the fact that the O11-Dynamic only really has 2 ideal intake locations. Still looking forward to the case though.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update: 3 days till Lian Li sends out my case unless they decide to update the pre-order ship date for the Dynamic, planning to buy my fans somewhere around there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have the case, running my build, sadly don't have the ML120s or Boras because go figure life happened, thus settled for some HD120s temporarily (Like the next couple of months.) Surprisingly, they're super quiet and have a higher Static Pressure, this is only going to be consumer level opinion but suffice to say I happy with them for now. RGB isn't working because I actually still need a Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro to link the lights to my motherboard and control it with software tools. So in short, Review is postponed and I'm tired of stock being so limited where I live. When I said settled I literally meant it because it turned out I did not have fans compatible with the case so I had to run out and buy some to even have my computer running.