4K@60Hz or 1440p@144Hz?

I've been looking into a ton of different monitors and I'm having trouble deciding if quad pixels is worth buying over double pixels even if it means 4K with ONLY 60Hz. If you could assume both have 1-2ms which would you choose and why? Do you have any suggestions specifically? So far, I'm leaning towards the this monitor.  What I like about it is that with 144Hz, I'll be seeing clearly as I run around in fps games, great price, 2ms - plus the curved feature seems a bit attractive.

EDIT: Here is a vague list of my pc specs (I plan on upgrading my GPU within the next year or two)

i7-7700k CPU

RX-480 4gb GPU

16gb Ram

MSI z270 Carbon Mobo

2tb Seagate HDD

250gb evo M.2 Samsung SSD

For a monitor of this size IMO 4K does not even make sense...i would go with the 1440p high-refresh all day long especially for gaming...i use one myself and it's epic.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Your gonna have a bad time trying to play games at 4k on an rx480 lol. Go for 1440p

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

For a monitor of this size IMO 4K does not even make sense...i would go with the 1440p high-refresh all day long especially for gaming...i use one myself and it's epic.

I can for sure see why you'd say that about the 4k not making sense but I was wondering one thing as I played pubg the other day - if I'm playing a shooter game and trying to spot someone from a LONG distance, will the extra pixels allow me to make out a better picture of the enemy?

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

Your gonna have a bad time trying to play games at 4k on an rx480 lol. Go for 1440p

I figured this lol. I'll likely be upgrading my gpu by the end of the summer though. I'm thinking the 1440p though since i_build_nanosuits reminded me about how 4k at 32" wouldn't make sense.

Neither...

3440x1440p100hz ultrawide :3

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

do wou want that big of a monitor?

I do at least want a 27". I've been using a 32" tv seiki tv this past two years lol.

If I have to see another topic like this kittens will die.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

54 minutes ago, BahdFish said:

I can for sure see why you'd say that about the 4k not making sense but I was wondering one thing as I played pubg the other day - if I'm playing a shooter game and trying to spot someone from a LONG distance, will the extra pixels allow me to make out a better picture of the enemy?

51 minutes ago, BahdFish said:

I figured this lol. I'll likely be upgrading my gpu by the end of the summer though. I'm thinking the 1440p though since i_build_nanosuits reminded me about how 4k at 32" wouldn't make sense.

well, i tought you were looking for a 27'' or 28'' 4K display...at 32'' in size 4K start to be more useable and more relevant...

And yes it will produce an even cleaner picture with more details and it will help spot ennemies in the distance. That said though, a bigger monitor makes for a bigger ''scan area'' for your eyes to seek...which means spotting the ennemy on the screen require more time and more work therefore might not be beneficial.

For FPS games 24'' to 27'' is a nice size to go with...24'' if 1080p and 27'' if 1440p...
Also high refresh rate helps a lot, it's smoother, faster and easier.

So yeah, i remain with my first recommendation, 27'' at 1440p and high refresh is what i would go with...overall it's just nice for gaming, all types of games really, it just works very well and it makes absolute sense IMO.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

well, i tought you were looking for a 27'' or 28'' 4K display...at 32'' in size 4K start to be more useable and more relevant...

And yes it will produce an even cleaner picture with more details and it will help spot ennemies in the distance. That said though, a bigger monitor makes for a bigger ''scan area'' for your eyes to seek...which means spotting the ennemy on the screen require more time and more work therefore might not be beneficial.

For FPS games 24'' to 27'' is a nice size to go with...24'' if 1080p and 27'' if 1440p...
Also high refresh rate helps a lot, it's smoother, faster and easier.

So yeah, i remain with my first recommendation, 27'' at 1440p and high refresh is what i would go with...overall it's just nice for gaming, all types of games really, it just works very well and it makes absolute sense IMO.

Thanks for the well thought out reply. I didn't even think about the "scan area". I'm going to look into a good 27" 1440p @ 140Hz for sure.