What's the best sub $150 PSU?

lolzisgoodforu

I'm looking for a new PSU around $150. Was thinking around 850w but could go higher. I don't know which brand is the best to go for, so far it seems like EVGA or Corsair is the best but I don't know why they're better than most lol

The PSU tier list will be a great starting point for looking for a good quality PSU.

What hardware will it be used for? Are you sure you need 850W? Unless you're running a crossfire or SLI set up that will likely not be necessary.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The PSU tier list will be a great starting point for looking for a good quality PSU.

What hardware will it be used for? Are you sure you need 850W? Unless you're running a crossfire or SLI set up that will likely not be necessary.

Right now no, I do not need 850w, but I'm going to be having this power supply through lots of upgrades to my PC and I want to future proof because over time I probably will in fact need a power supply of this capacity

4 minutes ago, lolzisgoodforu said:

Right now no, I do not need 850w, but I'm going to be having this power supply through lots of upgrades to my PC and I want to future proof because over time I probably will in fact need a power supply of this capacity

So I must assume you will get a couple of Vegas to put in CF? And do keep in mind that multi GPU systems are becoming less and less common, due to more powerful GPUs, worse game support and increasing cost. 

Just get a good 450-550W PSU, and you'll have enough for a high end single GPU system. 

:)

11 minutes ago, lolzisgoodforu said:

I don't know which brand is the best to go for, so far it seems like EVGA or Corsair is the best but I don't know why they're better than most lol

EVGA SuperNova G3 850W is currently on sale from $180 to $120 ($60 off).
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438092&cm_re=evga_g3-_-17-438-092-_-Product

Otherwise Seasonic FocusPlus 850W is $125
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151190&cm_re=seasonic_850w-_-17-151-190-_-Product

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

23 minutes ago, lolzisgoodforu said:

I don't know which brand is the best to go for, so far it seems like EVGA or Corsair is the best but I don't know why they're better than most lol

Don't buy by brand, as all brands are equally capable of selling crap. EVGA has about a billion different PSUs, a lot of them being crap, and Corsair has the VS and green CX/M. 

EVGA's PSUs are also particularly loud (with the one exception being the T2). Same goes for low-mid range Corsair PSUs. 

Edit: As for which ones are quite good, there's the Dark Power Pro 11 and Prime Titanium. The lower wattage versions are below $150 on PCPP US. 

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

Something like an RMx, G3 or Focusplus

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 hour ago, lolzisgoodforu said:

I'm looking for a new PSU around $150. Was thinking around 850w but could go higher. I don't know which brand is the best to go for, so far it seems like EVGA or Corsair is the best but I don't know why they're better than most lol

EVGA and Corsair both sell crap. Don't buy brands. Buy units.

1 hour ago, lolzisgoodforu said:

If you PLAN on having two GPUs, then 850W is a good number. If you don't plan on doing two GPUs (and you shouldn't - SLI and CF both suck), then a 650W unit will leave you with plenty of headroom, provided Nvidia doesn't go back to Fermi days of power consumption, and even then, CPUs are getting more efficient.

A 1080 Ti and 8700K, both OC'd, consume around 450W if your really go ham on overclocking. A 650W leaves you with headroom for days.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

7 hours ago, lolzisgoodforu said:

Depends on what you need, what your system is and so on.

And in general:
More Watts don't give you any advantage if you don't need it. Often it gives you disadvantages as higher wattage units needs faster spinning fans.

If you want a quiet PSU, you need to look at that and get a quiet one.

Manufacturer is irrelevant as YOU and I can get everything we need to build our own ATX PSU...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"