New Laptop with 128 M.2 ssd, not large enough to store all Microsoft applications. Options Please

Hey All,

I just bought a new computer for grad school that I needed projects for a class. Didn't want to spend a fortune so got a decent HP with a 128 M.2 SSD figuring I would store everything important on OneDrive or some other cloud file management system. My school is offering for free every Microsoft Office application out there. So I was able to get the standard Office programs. Word, Excel, more important Projects. However, I came across the ability for visual studio,etc. Problem is, the entire suite chews up about 50 gigs of storage. After that download, I would be at about 90% on that SSD. Does anyone have any options to make that work. 

Options I came up with:

-Return the laptop, get one that's larger. Would have to wipe back to factory. 

-Upgrade the M.2 SSD with a larger one. Not entirely sure I can do that without killing warranty. 

-External SSD, but not sure Microsoft applications can run off a external.

-Store Microsoft apps in the cloud and utilize them from there. Not sure if I can do that either. 

Any help would be great. 

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, CNA5018 said:

Hey All,

I just bought a new computer for grad school that I needed projects for a class. Didn't want to spend a fortune so got a decent HP with a 128 M.2 SSD figuring I would store everything important on OneDrive or some other cloud file management system. My school is offering for free every Microsoft Office application out there. So I was able to get the standard Office programs. Word, Excel, more important Projects. However, I came across the ability for visual studio,etc. Problem is, the entire suite chews up about 50 gigs of storage. After that download, I would be at about 90% on that SSD. Does anyone have any options to make that work. 

Options I came up with:

-Return the laptop, get one that's larger. Would have to wipe back to factory. 

-Upgrade the M.2 SSD with a larger one. Not entirely sure I can do that without killing warranty. 

-External SSD, but not sure Microsoft applications can run off a external.

-Store Microsoft apps in the cloud and utilize them from there. Not sure if I can do that either. 

Any help would be great. 

Thank you.

Can you put another drive into the laptop? What's the exact model number of the HP?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I'd definitely run a disk cleanup, from file explorer right click on C drive, then hit 'Disk Cleanup', then Clean up system files the tick all the boxes and see how much that will free up your system.

5 minutes ago, CNA5018 said:

Just put a 512gb m.2 in. It won't void your warranty in the us, and is quick and easy.

Thanks Wizardy, I have done some tinkering on computers. Upgrading memory, adding SSD instead of optical drive. But never upgraded an M.2. I have no experience with them.  I imagine the specs are standardized, it doesnt matter the brand? Plug and Play should do?

I assume I would have to do a clone prior so the boot drive and OS, and everything else comes along with it prior. I have never done it, but I imagine there is some tool out there. 

2 minutes ago, CNA5018 said:

Thanks Wizardy, I have done some tinkering on computers. Upgrading memory, adding SSD instead of optical drive. But never upgraded an M.2. I have no experience with them.  I imagine the specs are standardized, it doesnt matter the brand? Plug and Play should do?

I assume I would have to do a clone prior so the boot drive and OS, and everything else comes along with it prior. I have never done it, but I imagine there is some tool out there. 

ID get this https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-500GB-2280SS-Internal/dp/B077SQ8J1V/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524246604&sr=8-1&keywords=mx500+m.2&dpID=41apIxLUmpL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Id probalby suggest backing up to a external hdd(you should do this anyways) and then restore backups on the new ssd.

Thanks a lot. Appreciate the help.