3d printer advice.

Hi, I'm new to the forum but long time viewer.

Ive been interested more and more lately with 3d printing and am considering getting one to try, first as a hobby and I'll see where it takes me.

I've had no experience with 3d printing but I have had a little amount of use with Blender.

I had seen some of the XYZ Da Vinci mini printers and wondered whether something like that, around the £200 mark would be a good way to start.

If I were to get one it would be in July, as part of a birthday gift.

Any advice is welcome, thanks.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming,
Corsair Hydro H100x,
Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX 16GB
Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC 8gb, AOC u2879vf 4k,
WD Blue SN550 500GB M.2 NVMe,
Win 10 Pro x64

I've heard some good things about this printer from Monoprice. It looks sturdy, comes pre-assembled and has a heated build plate. It's also quite cheap, so if you don't end up using it that much, no big deal. Keep in mind though, the build plate is only 12cmx12cmx12cm, so you would be limited to fairly small projects.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

I have been wondering about getting a 3d printer myself.  I am wondering if going with something that small would only be worth making a few small toys and wondering if it would be better to invest the money to purchase a more capable printer. 

The https://www.techradar.com/news/best-3d-printer had the XYZ Da Vinci mini printer #2 on it's recommendation.  

I think the Flash Forge Creator Pro 2017 looks like a good starter.  However, it is a bit on the expensive side.  There is a twitch.tv channel that is using a Flash Forge to make robots.

Check out some printer reviews by e.g. The 3D Printing Nerd or MakersMuse.

I have the Creality CR-10S myself, but that's more expensive (~€600). It requires sometinkering as well, but the print quality is very nice in my opinion. Large build plates are uncommon, because especially when printing with filament that requires a heated bed they can be a bit tricky.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

3 minutes ago, MikeSK said:

Yep that's exactly the one I have. Keep in mind it comes as a kit though. It will require assembly and a bit of tweaking before you'll have it up and running perfectly. I've also read reports of the included glass bed being warped, but mine is fine and it's easily solved by buying a mirror from Ikea or w/e.

Awesome machine though, prints really nice.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Ideally, I would like a 3D printer with a double extruder.  You can get more complex with two materials.  One the object being printed and the other being the water removable support substance or some conductive material to make a circuit board.  Some of the printers I have read at that level with enclosures end up melting their own drive gears because they do not take in to account the build up of heat in the enclose.  Seems to me a little dremel work and attaching a fan in these weak spots would do the trick.

Cool, thanks for the info, I will check them out. If you think of anything else please let me know.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming,
Corsair Hydro H100x,
Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX 16GB
Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC 8gb, AOC u2879vf 4k,
WD Blue SN550 500GB M.2 NVMe,
Win 10 Pro x64

+1 for the cr-10, it is a fantastic printer. For a lower price point, the i3 mega from anycubic is a really solid choice also.