Are ryzen wraith coolers good?

Docretier

I’m considering an upgrade from my i5 6402p to the ryzen refresh that is coming out tomorrow, but I want to know the cooler quality. I either want the R5 2600 or the 2600x. I understand they are the same chip with the x being sold at a higher clock speed, but this version comes with a better cooler than the regular one. I have no aftermarket cooling in place for the cpu so stock is all I will have. Is the wraith spire better than the wraith stealth? How good is the thermal paste that comes on it? Would the 2600x be worth it compared to the non x variant with this cooler? I plan on getting an aftermarket cooler eventually.

Both stock coolers are actually fairly decent, much better than the stuff Intel ships out. So long as you don't have extreme overclocking, either cpu's will cool perfectly fine with their respective stock coolers. The wraith spire is obviously a better cooler, but the 2600x variant does get hotter when overclocked. You should get the x variant if you are going with an aftermarket one eventually. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

Just now, Airdragonz said:

Both stock coolers are actually fairly decent, much better than the stuff Intel ships out. So long as you don't have extreme overclocking, either cpu's will cool perfectly fine with their respective stock coolers. The wraith spire is obviously a better cooler, but the 2600x variant does get hotter when overclocked. You should get the x variant if you are going with an aftermarket one eventually. 

Alright, I know with the previous gen the best idea was to go with the non x and buy a cooler, then overclock to at least the x standard clocks

8 minutes ago, Docretier said:

I’m considering an upgrade from my i5 6402p to the ryzen refresh that is coming out tomorrow, but I want to know the cooler quality. I either want the R5 2600 or the 2600x. I understand they are the same chip with the x being sold at a higher clock speed, but this version comes with a better cooler than the regular one. I have no aftermarket cooling in place for the cpu so stock is all I will have. Is the wraith spire better than the wraith stealth? How good is the thermal paste that comes on it? Would the 2600x be worth it compared to the non x variant with this cooler? I plan on getting an aftermarket cooler eventually.

If it's a $30 price difference between the two, get the 2600 and get a $30 cooler like the Cryorig H7. Very good cooler for the money.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

14 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

If it's a $30 price difference between the two, get the 2600 and get a $30 cooler like the Cryorig H7. Very good cooler for the money.

But I won’t get the higher clocks of the x, how much will those clocks affect performance?

4 minutes ago, Docretier said:

But I won’t get the higher clocks of the x, how much will those clocks affect performance?

You can OC the non X to easily match the X speeds. The only real reason to consider the X is if you're looking for the max OC possible, because the X variants are hypothetically slightly better performing chips, which should therefore mean you'd be able to OC it higher.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

You can OC the non X to easily match the X speeds. The only real reason to consider the X is if you're looking for the max OC possible, because the X variants are hypothetically slightly better performing chips, which should therefore mean you'd be able to OC it higher.

I have never oc’d a cpu before, so idk how well I will be able to get it to that point, even though it’s only 300mhz more for non turbo and turbo. I feel like I’d still probably screw it up.

Just now, Docretier said:

I have never oc’d a cpu before, so idk how well I will be able to get it to that point, even though it’s only 300mhz more for non turbo and turbo. I feel like I’d still probably screw it up.

It's fairly easy, and there's plenty of tutorials on how to do it. 

It's also all but impossible to kill a CPU with OCing unless you're putting more Voltage that what's recommended by AMD as the max safe voltage (which is 1.45volts IIRC) and you most likely wont be using that number anyways in your OC, more like 1.35 or something. 

13 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

It's fairly easy, and there's plenty of tutorials on how to do it. 

It's also all but impossible to kill a CPU with OCing unless you're putting more Voltage that what's recommended by AMD as the max safe voltage (which is 1.45volts IIRC) and you most likely wont be using that number anyways in your OC, more like 1.35 or something. 

But overclocking void warranty right? What methods do they have to prove an overclock aside from examining for excessive voltage? Just in the event I need to send the chip back.

3 minutes ago, Docretier said:

But overclocking void warranty right? What methods do they have to prove an overclock aside from examining for excessive voltage? Just in the event I need to send the chip back.

I believe it does on intel, not sure about AMD. But like I said, its hard to kill or even damage a chip using voltage, as there's a lot of safety features built in that will top your CPU from killing itself. 

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

I believe it does on intel, not sure about AMD. But like I said, its hard to kill or even damage a chip using voltage, as there's a lot of safety features built in that will top your CPU from killing itself. 

But if it needs to be sent back just for general failure not caused by the overclock, that won’t prevent me from getting a new chip?

2 minutes ago, Docretier said:

But if it needs to be sent back just for general failure not caused by the overclock, that won’t prevent me from getting a new chip?

It should not