hello everyone,

i bought a hot glue gun for my workshop, it has a dual temp settings of (60W and 100W) now iam wondering if i need a more advanced hot glue gun that offers variable temps settings from 40W to 150W.

will i ever be using 40W or will i ever be using more than 100W ? my main work is troubleshooting/building/designing computer electronics on component level and pretty much everything electrical, i also do some mechanical work.

any and all opinions will be more than appreciated.

Thank you all.

The most obvious advantage of higher watts is higher temp, so it melts faster.

If you asking how does it benefit you, well none of us is mind reader, if you don't know you need it or not the chance is you don't.

Otherwise you won't be asking in the first place.

As someone who use hot glue alot, for me I don't any point getting higher watts of hot glue gun, if its already melting at 40w what benefit do I get with 100w more?

The higher wattage ones will allow a much faster solid to liquid conversion , which would help if you need for example to apply small drops of glue in lots of places on a circuit board or device, you would get slightly finer control.

The smaller wattage ones will take time to heat and then you feed the glue bar slower because basically you push in some glue in solid form, you have to wait a few seconds for glue to go liquid which sucks heat from the heater which then needs some time to raise back to temperature... it slows you down.

The higher wattage guns often have some bigger nozzles/diameters allowing for thicker glue bars

So I guess in the end it depends onyour needs, i personally am fine with a cheap and simple one setting glue gun (i think it's rated for 65w but not sure) : https://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/28192.php

1 hour ago, Blebekblebek said:

The most obvious advantage of higher watts is higher temp, so it melts faster.

If you asking how does it benefit you, well none of us is mind reader, if you don't know you need it or not the chance is you don't.

Otherwise you won't be asking in the first place.

As someone who use hot glue alot, for me I don't any point getting higher watts of hot glue gun, if its already melting at 40w what benefit do I get with 100w more?

so why do you think they produce 150W hot glue guns? i mean for what purpose ?

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

The higher wattage ones will allow a much faster solid to liquid conversion , which would help if you need for example to apply small drops of glue in lots of places on a circuit board or device, you would get slightly finer control.

The smaller wattage ones will take time to heat and then you feed the glue bar slower because basically you push in some glue in solid form, you have to wait a few seconds for glue to go liquid which sucks heat from the heater which then needs some time to raise back to temperature... it slows you down.

The higher wattage guns often have some bigger nozzles/diameters allowing for thicker glue bars

So I guess in the end it depends onyour needs, i personally am fine with a cheap and simple one setting glue gun (i think it's rated for 65w but not sure) : https://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/28192.php

so you think that i dont need more than 100W hot glue gun?? what are the purposes of a 150W glue gun then ?

8 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

so you think that i dont need more than 100W hot glue gun?? what are the purposes of a 150W glue gun then ?

Maybe you work in a factory like this, where you need to place glue fast and maybe in lots of places and you need fast heat recovery, you can't just stall the line waiting for heat gun to get up to temperature: 

Watch the video and see what glue guns they're using (and the thickness of the glue bars)

11 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

There's a lot purpose other than melting, my point was to meet my own needs

I just need to stick something therefor if it's already melt than it's enough

While factory indeed using a better kind of hot glue gun but they are not using regular hot glue gun.

However the higher temps glue can be used for many things, such as DIY factories where you can almost draw /build/shape something with hot glue.

Crafting business market is huge, all these craft stuff required hot glue heavily.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Decorative+DIY+that+use+hot+glue&client=ubuntu&hs=8eU&channel=fs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGyKiR7sPaAhWTh6YKHaJYAGAQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=943

Now the question goes back to you, do you make stuff like that?

What are you going to make with it?

But then again, does it matter? in the end you probably buy it anyway.

Dual temps are really nice. Try to get a wireless one(battery powered). It comes in handy that you don't have to deal with a wire. Especially if your going to use it a lot.

What should I put here?

15 hours ago, MegaGoatLord said:

Dual temps are really nice. Try to get a wireless one(battery powered). It comes in handy that you don't have to deal with a wire. Especially if your going to use it a lot.

yeah, but you really didn't answer my main question : do i need more than 100W glue gun ?

thanks  

You're asking a stupid question.

Answer my question: Do I need a van capable of carrying 5 tons of cargo?

How would you know the answer with so little information available at the start? That van can carry either 1-2 persons and the groceries, or can a whole family in holiday, or can carry 5 tons of cargo, but can't carry a shipping container worth of stuff. It may be overkill if you need a vehicle just to go to market or may be too weak for moving thing. 

The van has its uses, it's versatile, but depends on particular users needs.

You know the answer to your question, you know what you're going to use a 100w glue gun for.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

You're asking a stupid question.

Answer my question: Do I need a van capable of carrying 5 tons of cargo?

How would you know the answer with so little information available at the start? That van can carry either 1-2 persons and the groceries, or can a whole family in holiday, or can carry 5 tons of cargo, but can't carry a shipping container worth of stuff. It may be overkill if you need a vehicle just to go to market or may be too weak for moving thing. 

The van has its uses, it's versatile, but depends on particular users needs.

You know the answer to your question, you know what you're going to use a 100w glue gun for.

i didn't like that douchey arrogant phrase "You're asking a stupid question." but i will assume thats how you deal with people.

i was asking a general question and trying to get different opinions in which each one should have a valid reason.

appreciated your response, now leave other people to share their opinions.  

Well you're asking for it.

Several people already tried to explain why such different glue guns exist and tried to explain why some particular glue gun (with certain specs) is used for what applications, so that you can decide based on what you're planning to use a glue gun for.

Yet every time your reply is "yes, but do i need more?"  - the person before you put in front of you all the pros and cons so you can decide for yourself but you keep asking for others to decide for you.

Here's your replies after every message, do you see a pattern? Like people talking to you and all they're saying going through your ears and you ignoring everyone.

yeah, but you really didn't answer my main question : do i need more than 100W glue gun ?

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Well you're asking for it.

Several people already tried to explain why such different glue guns exist and tried to explain why some particular glue gun (with certain specs) is used for what applications, so that you can decide based on what you're planning to use a glue gun for.

Yet every time your reply is "yes, but do i need more?"  - the person before you put in front of you all the pros and cons so you can decide for yourself but you keep asking for others to decide for you.

Here's your replies after every message, do you see a pattern? Like people talking to you and all they're saying going through your ears and you ignoring everyone.

i know that the final decision is mine, but thats what i like to do for knowledge and to get different opinions. so please dont interrupt again.