27" 1080p or 27" 1440p

So, I've been thinking of upgrading mg 23" 1080p to a physically larger monitor.

My two choices are (both panels are almost of the same price at least in our country. Also that's as much as my budget can afford):

• Asus 27 MG278Q (144Hz, 27", 1440p, not Curved, no Gsync/Freesync)

• Asus ROG Strix XG27VQ (144Hz, 27", 1080p, Curved, Freesync) NOTE: More stylish!

BTW, I'm currently using a GTX1050Ti but planning to upgrade it to a 1060 or 1070.

Also, I don't mind having Freesync monitor with a Nvidia card, Gsync panels are just expensive.

QUESTIONS:

1. What would you personally prefer? I want to hear thoughts from people who own a 27" 1080p or 1440p.

2. Does 1080p panel looks blown out on 27"?

3. Does 1440p panel looks better than 1080p?

PS: My setup mostly consist of Asus gears. Just FYI.

TIA.

The difference between 1080p and 1440p are already apparent on my 24" monitor.  Go for 1440p.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

12 minutes ago, thesonyuh said:

What's your budget/country?

Why bother with a larger monitor?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

What's your budget/country?

Why bother with a larger monitor?

26,000 Philippine Peso (Php)/Philippines (~500 USD)

Just wanna try larger monitor physically (specifically 27" territory)

Another excuse is my brother's monitor is so old and low res. My current monitor would be his when I upgrade. :D

3 minutes ago, thesonyuh said:

26,000 Philippine Peso (Php)/Philippines

Just wanna try larger monitor physically (specifically 27" territory)

Another excuse is my brother's monitor is so old and low res. My current monitor would be his when I upgrade. :D

Unless you need your monitor far away from you 1080p at 27" is about 80ppi

Run your current monitor at 1600x900 to see what that looks like size wise it'll be 80ppi as well
https://www.sven.de/dpi/

But if you have about $500 USD

Just look for a 27" 4K IPS display and call it a day, You can just scale AAA games from 1080p to 4K without an issue

Most esports type titles will run fine at 4k, I'm using an RX 560 with a 4K display currently.

If you invest in a 4k display you'll likely never really have to replace it. Even a cheap used 4k TN display would be nicer than 1440p.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

this comes down to 1440p vs VA

1440p is a nicer desktop feel

VA will have nicer color

higher resolution doesn't do much for media consumption, maybe some youtube vids

higher resolution will be tougher to push in games but can be turned down to 1080

I have a 2560x1080 ips 60hz monitor and a 2560x1440 144hz monitor and I have the 1440 as my main display because I like the desktop space and the refresh.

Do you want a curved display with better color, or do you want a display with more desktop real estate

edit: display's are the second most subjective thing in this hobby next to audio.  Also it is frustrating to pick a display

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Run your current monitor at 1600x900 to see what that looks like size wise it'll be 80ppi as well

Just look for a 27" 4K IPS display and call it a day, You can just scale AAA games from 1080p to 4K without an issue

Most esports type titles will run fine at 4k, I'm using an RX 560 with a 4K display currently.

If you invest in a 4k display you'll likely never really have to replace it. Even a cheap used 4k TN display would be nicer than 1440p.

Haven't thought of 4K panels simply because I have no plans of going 4K until now. Although, I'm not sure if there are 4K panels on that price range (at least here on our country).

1 hour ago, thesonyuh said:

Haven't thought of 4K panels simply because I have no plans of going 4K until now. Although, I'm not sure if there are 4K panels on that price range (at least here on our country).

It's probably the way to go so you never have to think about upgrading again unless you want a 1080p 144hz TN display instead

Here's what the free-sync models are like in the US at least. would go for 27" or larger.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=384002160&A=2&sort=price&page=1

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Just because you like 4K @ 60Hz doesn't mean that OP will like it. It looks like hes looking for a 144Hz display of which there currently aren't any 4K ones. It's fantastic that you found something you like, but it doesn't appear to be what hes looking for.

@thesonyuh I would look at either the Dell S2417DG, or S2716DGR. They're both minimalistic monitors with fantastic features. If you can overlook the fact that they're TN, they are fantastic. I ran IPS/VA panels for the better part of the past 4 years, and expected to hate my S2417DG. I even recently tried to go 3440x1440 VA 100Hz, but still couldn't give up my S2417DG. They are very affordable since they are TN, and the colors are still well within reason. They also have G-Sync within your budget which should be a plus. I personally like the 24 inch since the PPI is higher, and really you get used to using the size eventually anyways, but as you are looking for a 27" the S2716DGR should work just fine. I would also expect this to be available in your region. Amazon link here even though you can't order from it:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DGR-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0

Main PC: i7 8700K @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i V2 |  ASUS Prime Z370-A  | Corsair Carbide 540 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 | 16GB G.Skill Flare X @ 3200Mhz | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo | Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W | Dell S2417DG

40 minutes ago, Shiftstealth said:

Just because you like 4K @ 60Hz doesn't mean that OP will like it. It looks like hes looking for a 144Hz display of which there currently aren't any 4K ones. It's fantastic that you found something you like, but it doesn't appear to be what hes looking for.

@thesonyuh I would look at either the Dell S2417DG, or S2716DGR. They're both minimalistic monitors with fantastic features. If you can overlook the fact that they're TN, they are fantastic. I ran IPS/VA panels for the better part of the past 4 years, and expected to hate my S2417DG. I even recently tried to go 3440x1440 VA 100Hz, but still couldn't give up my S2417DG. They are very affordable since they are TN, and the colors are still well within reason. They also have G-Sync within your budget which should be a plus. I personally like the 24 inch since the PPI is higher, and really you get used to using the size eventually anyways, but as you are looking for a 27" the S2716DGR should work just fine. I would also expect this to be available in your region. Amazon link here even though you can't order from it:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DGR-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0

For the record, I'm not necessarily looking for 144Hz. Although, I would like to try higher-than-60Hz panel so you're still correct in a way.

I dig that S2417DG especially that GSync feature. However, 1st of all, I looked onto the main Tech shops in our country and none of them have listings for that monitor. I could try asking for a stock from Dell stores. Second, it's priced at $600 (from Dell's site) and that is just beyond my budget (still depends on how the local pricing here tho). Lastly, I would also like to try Curved panels. :)

Just now, thesonyuh said:

For the record, I'm not necessarily looking for 144Hz. Although, I would like to try higher-than-60Hz panel so you're still correct in a way.

I dig that S2417DG especially that GSync feature. However, 1st of all, I looked onto the main Tech shops in our country and none of them have listings for that monitor. I could try asking for a stock from Dell stores. Second, it's priced at $600 (from Dell's site) and that is just beyond my budget (still depends on how the local pricing here tho). Lastly, I would also like to try Curved panels. :)

G-sync is never worth the extra cost

I play esports games at a decent level and in switching from 1080p 144hz to 4k 60hz I prefer 4k for now, 144hz just isn't as nice as having 4 times as many pixels.

Spoiler