Google-branded 4k Android TV Dongle

19 minutes ago, bobhays said:

this is the first time I've seen someone so disappointed in the chromecast. I have one and it works pretty well. I actually prefer it over a remote for things like YouTube because it's easier to search for videos and my phone and then cast it. I don't use it every day but at least a few times a week and the biggest problem I've had is finding out how to cast from different browsers. 

Let me put it this way, I have a Vizio Smartcast TV, which is literally the Chromecast with a better SoC and networking that has been built into a screen. Running that WIRED, with my S8 and ZX Premium WIRED, internet speeds to both (as per router) being 6+Mbps, was worse than my:

Nvidia Shield over Wifi

PS3 over wifi (plaster wall blocking the signal)

PS3 over Wifi + edge pf Wifi coverage

PS4 (x2) over wifi + plaster wall + limiting the network speed to 2.5Mbps

PS4 Pro over wifi +plaster wall + network repeater + network limited to 2.5Mbps

XBone over wifi + plaster wall

Older Vizio smartTV with the older and weaker version of this SoC over Wifi + plaster wall

Amazon Firestick first gen + edge of Wifi coverage

Amazon's newest Firestick + edge of Wifi coverage

Xbox 360 S (x3) over wifi + 2Mbps bottleneck

WiiU over Wifi + plaster wall

3DS + plaster wall (YouTube), which was only tested for shits and giggles

Apple TV 4K over wifi + plaster wall + limiting netwrok speed to 2.5Mbps

And that Smartcast TV is a remarkable improvement to

My first gen Chromecast

My father's first gen Chromecast

My friend's second gen Chromecast

My friend's Chromecast "Ultra"

Nothing running Chromecast OS maintained 1080p. Connection issues varied between 10 minutes and 2 hours. Input lag between phone interaction and Chromecast device was a minimum of 1 second, reached 5 seconds regularly. Pairing issues occured every other time we've tried to use these devices. The first few minutes of all videos, regardless of service, were 480p or worse and took roughly 15 seconds to load.

Everything else played 1080p+ when content was available and that resolution was supported. Buffer times were consistantly 1-3 seconds.

To say I'm disappointed in Chromecast is an understatement.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

You're blaming Chromecast for Vizio's implementation of it?

I've only had a few interactions with Chromecast, it has worked as intended, so it's hard to comment. And any time I've had to use it on my Mi Box, it's been fine.

54 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Nothing running Chromecast OS maintained 1080p. Connection issues varied between 10 minutes and 2 hours. Input lag between phone interaction and Chromecast device was a minimum of 1 second, reached 5 seconds regularly. Pairing issues occured every other time we've tried to use these devices. The first few minutes of all videos, regardless of service, were 480p or worse and took roughly 15 seconds to load.

Everything else played 1080p+ when content was available and that resolution was supported. Buffer times were consistantly 1-3 seconds.

My ultras maintain 4k no problem let alone 1080. 

Just sounds like a crappy connection to me. Like the other dude said, your are the first to complain about chromecast. Even on my cousins shitty 10/1 DSL connection it loads instantly and maintains 1080 no problem. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Just sounds like a crappy connection to me.

Yes, because artificially handicapping some devices to half the speed and those devices still outperforming Chromecast devices is due to a bad network connection.

/s

8 minutes ago, divito said:

You're blaming Chromecast for Vizio's implementation of it?

59 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

My first gen Chromecast

No, I'm blaming Chromecast because it's best implementation (barring cast to Android TV) is on a TV manufacturer's mid tier product, that is middle of the road as far as TV manufacturers go.

Google's snake oil devices are quite worse than Vizio's TV.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Yes, because artificially handicapping some devices to half the speed and those devices still outperforming Chromecast devices is due to a bad network connection.

/s

Well seeing how next to no one reports connection issues with the chromecast, yes it has to do with your shit connection. 

And all your comparisons are against devices well over 10x the cost of the cast. Well my ultra  on wifi performs better than my C6 OLED which is $3k running a much faster SOC hardwired in. Im sorry but your points are moot in terms of customer experience. 

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

And all your comparisons are against devices well over 10x the cost of the cast.

The Chromecast is $35, the Ultra is $65. The Firestick is $40, the 4K Ultra Fire TV dongle is $70.

35 x 10 =/= 40

65 x 10 =/= 70.

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Well seeing how next to no one reports connection issues with the chromecast, yes it has to do with your shit connection. 

The Chromecast devices had the best connection of ALL devices on that list, particularly the smartcast TV. Can't beat a straight wired connection between Chromecast and an Android device, with a stable 6Mbps internet connection to the device.

The issues did not crop up on any of the devices that were locked at 2.5Mbps. That leaves only one answer - The set of Chromecast devices are simply inferior.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

13 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Let me put it this way, I have a Vizio Smartcast TV, which is literally the Chromecast with a better SoC and networking that has been built into a screen. Running that WIRED, with my S8 and ZX Premium WIRED, internet speeds to both (as per router) being 6+Mbps, was worse than my:

Nvidia Shield over Wifi

PS3 over wifi (plaster wall blocking the signal)

PS3 over Wifi + edge pf Wifi coverage

PS4 (x2) over wifi + plaster wall + limiting the network speed to 2.5Mbps

PS4 Pro over wifi +plaster wall + network repeater + network limited to 2.5Mbps

XBone over wifi + plaster wall

Older Vizio smartTV with the older and weaker version of this SoC over Wifi + plaster wall

Amazon Firestick first gen + edge of Wifi coverage

Amazon's newest Firestick + edge of Wifi coverage

Xbox 360 S (x3) over wifi + 2Mbps bottleneck

WiiU over Wifi + plaster wall

3DS + plaster wall (YouTube), which was only tested for shits and giggles

Apple TV 4K over wifi + plaster wall + limiting netwrok speed to 2.5Mbps

My first gen Chromecast

To say I'm disappointed in Chromecast is an understatement.

I've personally had much better experience with actual chromecasts instead of TVs implementing the cast functionality. I can understand why you don't like them with the experiences you've had but they work nearly flawlessly for everyone I've seen use them.