1050ti Thermal Throttling at 74C on a LAPTOP

Sertan Caki

Hey guys!

I bought Hp Pavilion Power 15 inch from Amazon  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075VT9LFC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And while gaming the GPU(1050ti) hits 74 degrees and starts to thermal throttle. downclocked itself from 1911Mhz to around 1700Mhz.

I changed the thermal compound when I bought the computer with Noctua NT-H1 and downclocked the CPU -100V on Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. GPU is overclocked by MSI Afterburner +230Mhz Core Clock and +500Mhz Memory Clock.

While gaming GPU never gets hotter than 74C and CPU stays around 75C to 80C depending on the games that I play but never thermal throttles.

Until the GPU reaches 74C, GPU sits at 1911MHz. If the CPU is cool and not very active while GPU is working, it does not thermal throttle and stays at 1911MHZ all the time.

I believe if I change thermal limit for my GPU and make it run a little hotter, I may be able to game without any thermal throttling. Thermal throttling makes me lose a bit of a frame rate and while running newer games the effect is bigger.

I know that it is hard to tweak these kinds of settings on a Laptop but I will be very happy if you guys can help me out. Thank You.

So, How can I increase the thermal limit for my GPU?

Try changing fan profiles that might help. Although it should not be throttling till at least 90C. TBH it's an HP Pavilion. They never have been good machines. 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

crank the laptop fan speeds. Speedfan (software) can do that.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Try changing fan profiles that might help. Although it should not be throttling till at least 90C. TBH it's an HP Pavilion. They never have been good machines. 

On my computer only fan setting that I can do is opening or closing Hp Cool Sense. Other than that in the Bios settings I can choose to enable fan always on. Other than that I don't know how to change any fan profile. 

2 minutes ago, Sertan Caki said:

On my computer only fan setting that I can do is opening or closing Hp Cool Sense. Other than that in the Bios settings I can choose to enable fan always on. Other than that I don't know how to change any fan profile. 

If your running MSI Afterburner i should have an option on the second tab that has to do with gpu fan profiles. IF it even has a fan -_-

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

MSI Afterburner should be able to alter the fan speed. If it can't, download speedfan, that should allow you to control it. Look up a basic tutorial on it if it's confusing, takes a bit to get used to. If that doesn't work, then you might want to look into disassembling the laptop and reapplying thermal paste to the GPU. The BIOS setting will likely only affect the CPU fan.

1 minute ago, LeinadTM said:

Download speedfan, that should allow you to control it. Look up a basic tutorial on it if it's confusing, takes a bit to get used to. If that doesn't work, then you might want to look into disassembling the laptop and reapplying thermal paste to the GPU. The BIOS setting will likely only affect the CPU fan.

The GPU and CPU are next to each other and 2 heat pipes together go to 2 fans. Basically, if a fan starts to rotate, it cools both CPU and GPU what so ever. 

Afterburner will likely not work.  Speedfan has a 50/50 chance of working.  Laptop system management controllers are not user access friendly.

Speedfan, MSI Afterburner and NoteBook Fan Control apps did not work on my PC

9 minutes ago, Sertan Caki said:

Speedfan, MSI Afterburner and NoteBook Fan Control apps did not work on my PC

Huh. Alright, you can either take apart the laptop and reapply thermal paste to the GPU, or you can crank the fan up to max in the BIOS and live with the noise. Other than that, I don't see any solutions besides trying to get HP to fix it under warranty. It could just be that the slimmed down 1050 Ti you have caps out at 74°C, but that does seem unlikely.

It is entirely likely that the firmware has different thermal limits than desktop cards.  System integrators can set these values to whatever they want.

18 minutes ago, Leinad4400 said:

Huh. Alright, you can either take apart the laptop and reapply thermal paste to the GPU, or you can crank the fan up to max in the BIOS and live with the noise. Other than that, I don't see any solutions besides trying to get HP to fix it under warranty. It could just be that the slimmed down 1050 Ti you have caps out at 74°C, but that does seem unlikely.

Unfortunately, this is what I am experiencing. I don't see a reason to reapply thermal paste because I did it a week ago. How can I crank the fan up in the Bios? While gaming fan1 is around 5000 rpm but fan2 is only around 100rpm.

74C is NOT thermal throttle

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Just now, KarathKasun said:

Thermal throttling point can be set by the manufacturer.

GPU is overclocked by MSI Afterburner +230Mhz Core Clock and +500Mhz Memory Clock.

1911Mhz to around 1700Mhz

based on the OP

Graphics Clock (MHz)
Processor Clock (MHz)

and this^ is nvidia SPEC

therefore there is no thermal throttling here.

what OP thinks is throttling is just a lower BOOST CLOCK due to thermals.

because if you do a bit of research the ideal temp for pascal cards to max out clocks is below 60. and every couple degrees nets you 20 to 50MHz without touching anything else.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

2 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

GPU is overclocked by MSI Afterburner +230Mhz Core Clock and +500Mhz Memory Clock.

1911Mhz to around 1700Mhz

based on the OP

Graphics Clock (MHz)
Processor Clock (MHz)

and this^ is nvidia SPEC

therefore there is no thermal throttling here.

what OP thinks is throttling is just a lower BOOST CLOCK due to thermals.

because if you do a bit of research the ideal temp for pascal cards to max out clocks is below 60. and every couple degrees nets you 20 to 50MHz without touching anything else.

That is still throttling.  Its an artificial point at which performance is reduced.

My laptop with a 1050 Ti doesnt knock boost back down considerably until ~85c.  It will hold 1911 core up to that point.  The OP has a laptop where the boost algo has been modified by the manufacturer to hard throttle at ~75c.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

That is still throttling.  Its an artificial point at which performance is reduced.

no throttling really only applies if you're under manufacturer spec. so sure if you have a OC desktop card nvidia spec doesn't apply and you look at base and boost on the box...

but when you're just getting less bonus you're still getting a bonus..... you're not in a negative in any sense (while assuming baseline spec at zero for this logic)

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

3 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

no throttling really only applies if you're under manufacturer spec. so sure if you have a OC desktop card nvidia spec doesn't apply and you look at base and boost on the box...

but when you're just getting less bonus you're still getting a bonus..... you're not in a negative in any sense (while assuming baseline spec at zero for this logic)

Its still throttling when clocks drop because of input X/Y/Z.  Performance goes down after a few minutes in game, throttling is happening.

Actual gaming performance is lower than short benchmark performance, throttling.

Performance being modulated downward because the thermal solution cant keep up, throttling.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Its still throttling when clocks drop because of input X/Y/Z.  Performance goes down after a few minutes in game, throttling is happening.

Actual gaming performance is lower than short benchmark performance, throttling.

what input????? do the math

Graphics Clock (MHz)
1290+ 230Mhz  = 1520MHz
Processor Clock (MHz)
1392+ 230Mhz  = 1622MHz

it'S still BOOSTING OVER X Y AND Z you monkey even at it's lowest point!!!!! of course the boost drops when the temps get higher. it changes the resistance of the material and introduces instability.. that's just how it works. it's still OC'ed!!!! ON A LAPTOP!!!!!!

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

3 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

what input????? do the math

Graphics Clock (MHz)
1290+ 230Mhz  = 1520MHz
Processor Clock (MHz)
1392+ 230Mhz  = 1622MHz

it'S still BOOSTING OVER X Y AND Z you monkey even at it's lowest point!!!!! of course the boost drops when the temps get higher. it changes the resistance of the material and introduces instability.. that's just how it works. it's still OC'ed!!!! ON A LAPTOP!!!!!!

Temp is an input.  Power is an input.

Other laptops boost to 1900 reliably (most of them actually), this laptop is throttling.  Its performance is lower than the norm.

4 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Temp is an input.  Power is an input.

Other laptops boost to 1900 reliably (most of them actually), this laptop is throttling.  Its performance is lower than the norm.

My laptop cannot maintain 1900mhz, only for a while.

My laptop cannot maintain 1900mhz, only for a while.

Thats my point, your laptop has sub-par performance because of the custom temp limit set by HP.  You, unfortunately, cant really get around this easily.

You could risk the whole laptop by extracting the firmware and editing it, but that is about it as far as I am aware.  Maybe get one of those laptop cooling platforms?