EK-XTOP DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition

How to control pump speed, Very noobish question considering ive used this for quit some time now ~ lolz i know.

But let me explain things. nearly 2 yrs water cooling my pc.

It states on EKWB That it has a " (4-pin PWM FAN Connector) " Mine has a 3 pin Connector.

I started water cooling a few yrs ago, with that said i got this.

EK KIT X240 Water Cooling Kit added on since then added so on. (it's how i got started Anyway).

Im wondering if this pump is Different to the 1 Advertised - but at the end of the day i want to control it, just to sus

it all out, see how things will run if i set it to such and such. especially now that Winter is Coming for us. (Im Aussie) so it reversed for those yarda yarda

you know what i mean.

Tests:

!.Used the 4 pin MOLEX to get this working with out the 3pin connected - it's been running just fine since

day dot.

2.Used the 3pin hook it up to the dedicated 4pin header on the motherboard " ( ASUS PRIME Z270-AR LGA 1151) "

Left the Molex un pluged. In BIOS - TESTED: DDC Control, PWM Control, so forth made sure it was on. This setting is called AIO PUMP.

Setting Monitor/Ignor AIO PUMP - set to On. says N/A.

3.Same as 2 but with Molex connected still same speed. (Runs the same) Setting Monitor/Ignor AIO PUMP - set to On. says N/A

So im not sure if im setting something Wrong or the PWM Feature just doesn't work Or it's the 4pin header on the MOBO or i have to plug the 3pin PWM

to a fan header. Fudged if i know But for now it's on Molex only.

And oh yes i did have settings for threshold speed. temp uppers so on. i know how to set them that's fine . it's the -

Setting Monitor/Ignor AIO PUMP - set to On. says N/A. part i understand it but why does it not work or is this me lol.

Thanks in advance. Pic is for Reference Only.

EK_(12).JPG

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

Can you take a photo of your specific model with the cable connections, the DDC if it is the PWM capable unit will have a 4 pin fan connector. If it’s only 3 pin with a single green wire back to the pump it is not controllable via PWM.

few pics all the info i can gather . - had i look at the cables it is 2 cables ( 1 green 1 blue ) - to the 3pin connector. IMG_20180309_222453.thumb.jpg.c48b76b938c5d2051c28280f0bacce5c.jpg

IMG_20180309_222326.jpg

IMG_20180309_222335.jpg

IMG_20180309_222352.jpg

IMG_20180309_222356.jpg

IMG_20180309_222414.jpg

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

2 hours ago, loony979 said:

few pics all the info i can gather . - had i look at the cables it is 2 cables ( 1 green 1 blue ) - to the 3pin

We can’t see the connectors, that should be a 4 pin fan connector if it’s PWM capable. 

i think your pump is the older version from the one advertised. that being said, you can still control the speed if you plug in both the 3 pin and the molex, and control the 3pin header through SpeedFan.

12 hours ago, W-L said:

We can’t see the connectors, that should be a 4 pin fan connector if it’s PWM capable. 

it is 2 cables ( 1 green 1 blue ) - to the 3pin . The Molex is 2 cables for power. And RollinLower im thinking this as well.

Did get this over a yr ago easy so.

4 minutes ago, loony979 said:

it is 2 cables ( 1 green 1 blue ) - to the 3pin . The Molex is 2 cables for power. And RollinLower im thinking this as well.

Did get this over a yr ago easy so.

The reason I asked for a photos is because I acutally want to see the pin and connections made into the 3 pin connector if it's a PWM based pump it won't work on a 3 pin connection since your PWM leg is not connected and floating in mid air. 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

your PWM leg is not connected and floating in mid air. 

Ill try to get a good pic later today. As im a bit busy. - can you explain this part for me kind sir.

"your PWM leg is not connected and floating in mid air". 

And thanks for the help guys i appreciate it a lot.

3 hours ago, loony979 said:

Ill try to get a good pic later today. As im a bit busy. - can you explain this part for me kind sir.

"your PWM leg is not connected and floating in mid air". 

And thanks for the help guys i appreciate it a lot.

Since it's a PWM controlled pump it can't have a 3 pin fan connector, if it's 3 pin connectorthe PWM control signal pin would not be connected (blue line). That's why I wanted to see what they did to wire up the fan connector or if a mistake was made. 

post-4038-0-63284100-1436937900.jpg

On 3/10/2018 at 6:25 PM, W-L said:

Since it's a PWM controlled pump it can't have a 3 pin fan connector, if it's 3 pin connectorthe PWM control signal pin would not be connected (blue line). That's why I wanted to see what they did to wire up the fan connector or if a mistake was made.

This should sort things out.

IMG_20180311_202755.jpg

IMG_20180311_202752.jpg

4 hours ago, loony979 said:

This should sort things out.

That just confuses things further, from the connections it's wire up to +12V and ground which shouldn't be the case for a PWM connector. This is something I haven't seen before, try contacting EKWB to see why this would be the case even looking at their site for the current version of this pump it has a 4 pin PWM fan connector. 

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xtop-ddc-3-2-pwm-elite-plexi-incl-pump

19 hours ago, W-L said:

Snip

Right now i know things "are" strange and im not loosing it xD. & not a noob lol.

Um what ill do is, leave it as is just let the Molex run it.  (does get i little warm tho guessing this is the norm on the base)

As it is well over a year old now.

And when i upgrade ill grab 1 that has the "4 pin PWM" then i know that i can control it.

Also i don't want to start a new thread just quickly ask here if i get 2 pumps would it be beneficial.

4 rad system. not seeing that much movement in the loop, tho the temps are very good.

Thanks Again. The Help-has been well appreciated.

2 hours ago, loony979 said:

Right now i know things "are" strange and im not loosing it xD. & not a noob lol.

Um what ill do is, leave it as is just let the Molex run it.  (does get i little warm tho guessing this is the norm on the base)

As it is well over a year old now.

And when i upgrade ill grab 1 that has the "4 pin PWM" then i know that i can control it.

Also i don't want to start a new thread just quickly ask here if i get 2 pumps would it be beneficial.

4 rad system. not seeing that much movement in the loop, tho the temps are very good.

Thanks Again. The Help-has been well appreciated.

Yeah this is an odd one not sure if @EK Lucis around but he may be able to provide some insight also.