Any tips for filtering vent slot near IO shield?

Go to solution Solved by thelordofwarr,

https://www.demcifilter.com/CORSAIR-200R

But it don't know how it mounts, or you are supposed to

Has anyone come up with a really good, professional looking method for adding a filter back there?

I've always wanted to do that to one of my cases that has negative pressure, but I don't want to do anything jenky like use zip ties or whatever.

I want it to look clean.

It doesn't feel like metal so nothing magnetic will work.

Is there anything designed specifically for these vents that'll work?

Maybe something that sticks on or maybe bolts on through the vent holes?

The case I want to do this too is the Corsair 200r

200r back.png

Buy a big slate of mesh, cut the just the right size, then drill a few holes, and then secure it using nuts and bolts. A bit DYI, but if done right it should look good.

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

5 minutes ago, thelordofwarr said:

Holy shit the shipping was bad though :P

36 dollars Canadian by the end of it to buy two 5 dollar filters...

These guys need to have a regular mail option instead of just fedex.

I would just take some fine mesh and screw it there, you could use thumbscrews 

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

5 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Holy shit the shipping was bad though :P

36 dollars Canadian by the end of it to buy two 5 dollar filters...

These guys need to have a regular mail option instead of just fedex.

yeah, dont buy from them. their shipping is a joke. i bought a R5 vent for the top and it cost me £27 + shipping and now i have to pay customs. save the hassle and dont buy from them.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

1 hour ago, SeanAngelo said:

yeah, dont buy from them. their shipping is a joke. i bought a R5 vent for the top and it cost me £27 + shipping and now i have to pay customs. save the hassle and dont buy from them.

Too late.

Already bought them.

I don't care that much though.

It'll save me a lot more in the long run since now the GPU in that build won't be sucking in dust all of the time and I won't have to add more fans to get positive pressure. I've already got filters for pretty much everything else that doesn't have a outward fan so this was the last step. I'm even installing gaskets with fan filters on the side vents so those dust filters will be strait up air tight.

3 hours ago, SeanAngelo said:

It's due to international shipping. Thankfully PPCS & Amazon carries most of there filters here in the US. Only time I would actual order directly from them is for custom made work.

4 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Has anyone come up with a really good, professional looking method for adding a filter back there?

I've always wanted to do that to one of my cases that has negative pressure, but I don't want to do anything jenky like use zip ties or whatever.

I want it to look clean.

It doesn't feel like metal so nothing magnetic will work.

Is there anything designed specifically for these vents that'll work?

Maybe something that sticks on or maybe bolts on through the vent holes?

The case I want to do this too is the Corsair 200r

I don't even bother with filters anymore, dust will get through in time. Adding a dust filter may delay it extra week or so. I would invest in a Datavac instead of using filters.

Filters tend to junk things up.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

13 hours ago, Revan654 said:

It's due to international shipping. Thankfully PPCS & Amazon carries most of there filters here in the US. Only time I would actual order directly from them is for custom made work.

I don't even bother with filters anymore, dust will get through in time. Adding a dust filter may delay it extra week or so. I would invest in a Datavac instead of using filters.

Filters tend to junk things up.

I think the trick is not overdoing it with filters.

Never filter output fans, only intakes.

I'm actually filtering this one spot after what I learned from the experiment that Luke did where they had 3 systems running for like a year with different configuration. 

The negative pressure build was pulling dust in through that specific vent and clogging up the graphics card.

My air pressure is very similar so I'm just making sure the graphics card specifically is getting filtered air. The case has 2 fan holes on the side panel that I'm going to filter too.

General rule of thumb is to filter intakes and spots with no fans if you have negative pressure.

8 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

I think the trick is not overdoing it with filters.

Never filter output fans, only intakes.

I'm actually filtering this one spot after what I learned from the experiment that Luke did where they had 3 systems running for like a year with different configuration. 

The negative pressure build was pulling dust in through that specific vent and clogging up the graphics card.

My air pressure is very similar so I'm just making sure the graphics card specifically is getting filtered air. The case has 2 fan holes on the side panel that I'm going to filter too.

General rule of thumb is to filter intakes and spots with no fans if you have negative pressure.

I aware of of all of this. Like I said dust will get in one way or another. I know Singularity computers even stopped using filters for there PC builds. They even have a video talking about filters and why they stopped.

15 hours ago, Revan654 said:

I aware of of all of this. Like I said dust will get in one way or another. I know Singularity computers even stopped using filters for there PC builds. They even have a video talking about filters and why they stopped.

I know that filters aren't going to get everything, but they slow down how quickly the dust builds up and that's what matters to me. My dad's getting this computer and he's terrible for letting dust build up so I'm taking precautions so the machine will last longer.

It also depends on a lot on whether or not it makes a difference.

If you're trying to have a perfect negative pressure system, you actually have to seal every single nook and cranny. 
There can not be a single hole that's unfiltered or sealed up other than your outward facing fans.

I'm not trying to do that though.

I'm just trying to control the dust a little bit.

Instead of building up in the GPU, it'll build up near the bottom of the case where it's less of an issue.

That'll be the path of least resistance now.

6 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

I know that filters aren't going to get everything, but they slow down how quickly the dust builds up and that's what matters to me. My dad's getting this computer and he's terrible for letting dust build up so I'm taking precautions so the machine will last longer.

If you're trying to have a perfect negative pressure system, you actually have to seal every single nook and cranny. 
There can not be a single hole that's unfiltered or sealed up other than your outward facing fans.

I'm not trying to do that though.

I'm just trying to control the dust a little bit.

Instead of building up in the GPU, it'll build up near the bottom of the case where it's less of an issue.

That'll be the path of least resistance now.

It's only going to save you about a week based on my experience and few others. I personally don't go with filter due to the look it creates.

You might want to watch this:

It worth watching and get there take on filters now compared to the past.

18 hours ago, Revan654 said:

It's only going to save you about a week based on my experience and few others. I personally don't go with filter due to the look it creates.

I'm only adding one or two filters.

With this specific fan setup, it's going to make a difference.

The GPU is pulling air in directly through that hole so that's why I'm filtering it.

I mean this is a negative air pressure setup and my dad tends to leave his computers on the floor/never clean them.

Even if it only makes a bit of a difference, it's worth it to me.

Plus, I already paid like 35 bucks for these things.

Too little, too late.

On 3/7/2018 at 3:51 PM, Revan654 said:

It turns out that this was a really good idea with my setup.

I did a smoke test.. well vape test since I quit smoking.. and the exhaust out the rear fan circles right back in through that slot so it would have been a dust generating feedback loop if I hadn't put a filter there.

I did something else based on the Linustechtips video where they tested all of these setups..

Instead of shooting for getting closer to positive pressure, I put the bottom fan in exhaust so now it's going to constantly clean out the dust from the bottom of the case itself.

This apparently causes the graphics card to collect more dust though so having that filter there is now twice as important.

7 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

^ If it works, that all that matters. I'm just not a fan of putting filters on a case, Specially on Case-Lab cases.

Oh i wouldn't either with a nice case like that, but this is a corsair 200r right. It's terrible. It doesn't even have a cable management hole for the CPU power connector. Everything about it is dumb.

4 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Oh i wouldn't either with a nice case like that, but this is a corsair 200r right. It's terrible. It doesn't even have a cable management hole for the CPU power connector. Everything about it is dumb.

It's why it's worth spending a bit more money on a case rather then going with Budget mass produced cases like from Corsair and NZXT. Case-Labs and InWin were the cases I was looking at. Case-Labs won in the end since it can hold four 560 radiators. It also helped I had credit at Case-Labs and they were having a sale.

On 3/7/2018 at 1:39 PM, stateofpsychosis said:

In my experience, filters make a massive difference in two ways: they delay dust buildup inside considerably, and they make cleaning much easier. No computer will be dustless if you just "forget about it" forever, but regularly cleaning filters (when done right at least :P) is a much simpler task than regularly cleaning the insides of your case.

In the end, if you neglect your case you will run into problems one way or another, but doing "due diligence" with filters is much simpler than without them.

4 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

In my experience, filters make a massive difference in two ways: they delay dust buildup inside considerably, and they make cleaning much easier. No computer will be dustless if you just "forget about it" forever, but regularly cleaning filters (when done right at least :P) is a much simpler task than regularly cleaning the insides of your case.

In the end, if you neglect your case you will run into problems one way or another, but doing "due diligence" with filters is much simpler than without them.

Singularity Computers did a few tests and it only delayed it for a week compared to not using any. I know Pro builders I've seen have stopped using filters if case didn't come with any. Datavac in my opinion is the better option. The environments plays a major role on dust build up as well.

Also take into account where your case is going to be sitting the closer to the floor, more dust will likely enter your case due to the dirt and other particles from the floor, Specially carpet floors. (Make sure your PSU is not sucking dirt from the floor into your case, Same goes for your fans). If you have any pets allot more dust and dirty will be floating around.

Just my two cents on the subject.

1 hour ago, Revan654 said:

Singularity Computers did a few tests and it only delayed it for a week compared to not using any. I know Pro builders I've seen have stopped using filters if case didn't come with any. Datavac in my opinion is the better option. The environments plays a major role on dust build up as well.

Well, it may up to case model, but I've seen the difference in my own computers and it is pretty much a night and day difference. Maybe they use cases with too many unfiltered openings, or air flow setups too tilted towards negative pressure, I don't know. What I do know is that my PCs get the intake filters dirty relatively quickly, but I barely see a few specs on the inside even after months of use.

1 hour ago, Revan654 said:

Also take into account where your case is going to be sitting the closer to the floor, more dust will likely enter your case due to the dirt and other particles from the floor

Yes, not placing your case on the floor also makes a big difference.

15 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Well, it may up to case model, but I've seen the difference in my own computers and it is pretty much a night and day difference. Maybe they use cases with too many unfiltered openings, or air flow setups too tilted towards negative pressure, I don't know. What I do know is that my PCs get the intake filters dirty relatively quickly, but I barely see a few specs on the inside even after months of use.

Yes, not placing your case on the floor also makes a big difference.

Well, there are a lot of variables so one person's experience may differ from another's.

Just because those guys did some tests doesn't mean that they're conclusive.

You'd need a really big test pool for that.