Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
techswede

Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 100k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Speaking of vehicles (wow shocker) My girlfriend is shoopping for a truck/SUV under $3k localy, and we're finding a shocking number of  lifted Jeep Cherokee's, Grand's and wranglers. I know Wranglers just usually have issues in general (rust, engine, etc) but are the Cherokee's the same?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

12 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Speaking of vehicles (wow shocker) My girlfriend is shoopping for a truck/SUV under $3k localy, and we're finding a shocking number of  lifted Jeep Cherokee's, Grand's and wranglers. I know Wranglers just usually have issues in general (rust, engine, etc) but are the Cherokee's the same?

5.2/5.9s are generally reliable if you can find them. Newer ones have issues with the intake plenum pan blowing out the gasket and drinking oil. Definitely get it over the 4.0 no matter what the neckbeards on jeep communities say. 4.7 is a boat anchor in my eyes. The issues are usually in the trans. Line pressure control solenoid (what replaced the governer) starts getting weak and causes random slips while cold, a lot of the time 2-3. That plus improper maintenance just snowballs to a bad trans. Also the grand cherokees have nothing but HVAC box issues with doors breaking. Not sure if reg cherokees do. I did a lot of dash pulls on grand cherokees at my old shop.

First gen durangos get a lot of the luxuries of the grand cherokee without the jeep tax though.

i7 8700k 5.0ghz  / 32GB gskill tridentz / ASUS Z370-A Prime / EVGA RTX 2080 Super XC / LG 34GL750 / Logitech G513 romerg tactile / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2019 Razer Blade Stealth / iPhone XS Max 256GB

I pulled the datalogs and averaged the readings into a pivot table so I could manipulate and visualize the data.

Which gives me this.  Car is probably making between 450-500hp at the crank, right up around 6600 - 6700rpm.  Never been on dyno, this data is being estimated from AFR and MAF readings.

image.thumb.png.9d5eae83d0bca1607ba5c7bd17da8bd4.png

Home PC: 2013 Mac Pro connected to a LG 34" Ultra-wide 3440x1440.  Email, Youtube, light Adobe CC work, and Ripping Things.

Gaming PC: Old i7-4790k, 16GB DDR3 cheapo ram, Nvidia RTX 2080 8GB too much for CPU stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: i7-4790k, 32GB DDR3, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 86TB FreeNAS.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

"Everyone dies alone. But if you meant something to someone, if you helped someone, or loved someone, if even a single person remembers you, then maybe you never really die. And maybe, this isn't the end at all."

20 hours ago, xXFitzXx said:

Yep it made a big splash a couple years back with top speed runs.

Active Threads: Box Box Box - Project CARS & Assetto Corsa Players Club  | The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X+ Corsair H110i GT GPU: EVGA GTX1080 SC MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Intel 545s 512GB

so i'm at a crossroads at the moment. ordered my crate motor july 22 with a ship date of aug 27. its now sept 25 and i inquired about it and was told sorry waiting on heads we haven't started on it. we don't know when we will get them and it could take another month or 2.....

so i'm at a loss here. being a crate engine i was sorta expecting it to already be built but i can see the other side of not wanting to keep something like this sitting because it costs so much. but i paid 8k for this and to not even have started on it kinda pisses me off. i'm starting to just say screw it ill go elsewhere and request a refund as this is unacceptable... at least to me but is that normal?

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

An "Oh Shit" moment... My 2005 Victory Vegas fell off the lift wedging itself perfectly between my "95 Ultra Classic and zero turn lawn mower. I had a lift jack underneath it, but removed it the night before and failed to secure the bike with straps. Low air pressure in the front tire allowed it to slip out of the front tire vise. Amazingly, it fell on a new set of truck tires which cushioned the fall and the bike never touched the floor, the other bike or zero turn. Nothing damaged but my pride.

IMG_20200408_181403.jpg

IMG_20200408_181347.jpg

IMG_20200408_181336.jpg

On 9/25/2020 at 2:18 AM, That_Random_Guy said:

so i'm at a crossroads at the moment. ordered my crate motor july 22 with a ship date of aug 27. its now sept 25 and i inquired about it and was told sorry waiting on heads we haven't started on it. we don't know when we will get them and it could take another month or 2.....

so i'm at a loss here. being a crate engine i was sorta expecting it to already be built but i can see the other side of not wanting to keep something like this sitting because it costs so much. but i paid 8k for this and to not even have started on it kinda pisses me off. i'm starting to just say screw it ill go elsewhere and request a refund as this is unacceptable... at least to me but is that normal?

What engine is it?  I know a TON of engine builders are struggling to get components in.  I’ve seen it first hand. 

Even parts for us have been pretty slim. Had to wait with a car dead on my lift for 2 weeks for some parts from GM that were supposed to be next day.

i7 8700k 5.0ghz  / 32GB gskill tridentz / ASUS Z370-A Prime / EVGA RTX 2080 Super XC / LG 34GL750 / Logitech G513 romerg tactile / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

59 minutes ago, vetali said:

Even parts for us have been pretty slim. Had to wait with a car dead on my lift for 2 weeks for some parts from GM that were supposed to be next day.

We've also ran into this. By chance were they the VVT solenoids for a GM 2.5L 4 banger? Tried for some of those earlier this year and the dealer told me that no one had any of them and no one would get any of them until at least September and to buy the Dorman ones since thats what they were using. Called our local supplier that carries Dorman and they were not only out of stock but had the next lot they were due in pre-bought by that very same dealer. The dealer was buying up EVERY solenoid in the tri-county area as fast as they came in in order to squeeze out anyone else working on these with this problem and probably because they were getting the bulk of customers coming back under warranty for them too. We were able to snag an errant Dorman part eventually and get them rolling but I'm dubious on Dorman durability.

Pre-Covid I had issues getting a body harness for a newer Jeep Cherokee, every dealer had no lead because 'all parts being made were destined for production vehicles and no spares were being produced at this time' so we had to wait about 1.5 months for a spare part to be made as the factories were only making extra on a per-order basis and only doing production in batches.

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

We've also ran into this. By chance were they the VVT solenoids for a GM 2.5L 4 banger? Tried for some of those earlier this year and the dealer told me that no one had any of them and no one would get any of them until at least September and to buy the Dorman ones since thats what they were using. Called our local supplier that carries Dorman and they were not only out of stock but had the next lot they were due in pre-bought by that very same dealer. The dealer was buying up EVERY solenoid in the tri-county area as fast as they came in in order to squeeze out anyone else working on these with this problem and probably because they were getting the bulk of customers coming back under warranty for them too. We were able to snag an errant Dorman part eventually and get them rolling but I'm dubious on Dorman durability.

Pre-Covid I had issues getting a body harness for a newer Jeep Cherokee, every dealer had no lead because 'all parts being made were destined for production vehicles and no spares were being produced at this time' so we had to wait about 1.5 months for a spare part to be made as the factories were only making extra on a per-order basis and only doing production in batches.

No, clutch parts for a 17 cruze. I haven't had issues with the dorman GM VVT solenoids. I had one issue with a dorman VVT solenoid on a chrysler 2.4 that I did. Solenoid was fine, just I broke it doing a head gasket lol. It came back a week later with a slow response for camshaft advancement or some shit. I cleared it and told them if it came back we'd go OEM and that was 3 months ago.

19 hours ago, vetali said:

No, clutch parts for a 17 cruze. I haven't had issues with the dorman GM VVT solenoids. I had one issue with a dorman VVT solenoid on a chrysler 2.4 that I did. Solenoid was fine, just I broke it doing a head gasket lol. It came back a week later with a slow response for camshaft advancement or some shit. I cleared it and told them if it came back we'd go OEM and that was 3 months ago.

Cruze? Oh don't worry it won't live long enough to wear out any more clutch parts. Those engines develop oil pressure problems pretty often and no sense doing an engine in a $5000 car when the engine is going to be $3000. Either the oil pump takes a dump or the turbo models have the lovely 1-2 punch of intake manifold and valve cover failing, causing the crank case to see intake manifold pressure under boost due to a failed rubber check valve and blow out seals and then whistle like a demon at idle from the perforated pcv diaphragm in the valve cover. Of course all these parts are non-repairable. Some saint though figured out how to block the  port on the manifold and run an external check valve and sells it as a kit, but still a bit of labor involved.

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Cruze? Oh don't worry it won't live long enough to wear out any more clutch parts. Those engines develop oil pressure problems pretty often and no sense doing an engine in a $5000 car when the engine is going to be $3000. Either the oil pump takes a dump or the turbo models have the lovely 1-2 punch of intake manifold and valve cover failing, causing the crank case to see intake manifold pressure under boost due to a failed rubber check valve and blow out seals and then whistle like a demon at idle from the perforated pcv diaphragm in the valve cover. Of course all these parts are non-repairable. Some saint though figured out how to block the  port on the manifold and run an external check valve and sells it as a kit, but still a bit of labor involved.

Funny thing is the clutch was fine as far as life, just brake fluid soaked because it uses the slave cylinder/throw out bearing combo thing that has had issues for 30+ years now.

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Funny thing is the clutch was fine as far as life, just brake fluid soaked because it uses the slave cylinder/throw out bearing combo thing that has had issues for 30+ years now.

If there's one thing GM does well it's keep using the same failing designs over and over. How many decades of their V6/8 engines have had the same wet intake gasket failures?

These streets can't handle my MAD POWER in 2nd gear. Pretty sure there was something slick in the intersection I ran over because I felt it on both the front and rear tires when I slid there, didn't help I was on power through the turn either but I can't break traction like that in 2nd gear at that speed let alone barely in 1st gear with these sticky tires, even when they're "cold".

Pulled one boat out of the water this weekend and decided to wax the hull the easy way:

Resized-20200926-154543-1.jpg

Necessary? No. Fun? Kinda. 

CPU: i7-4790k MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Gene RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 w/ Noctua NF-A14s 

GPU: Asus Strix GTX-980 Case: Corsair 350D PSU: Corsair AX-760i Storage: 2 x 500GB Evo RAID0 + 2 x 8TB WD Red's in RAID1 

4 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Pulled one boat out of the water this weekend and decided to wax the hull the easy way:

Spoiler

Resized-20200926-154543-1.jpg

Necessary? No. Fun? Kinda. 

Looks like you've been working hard..... You should kick your feet up and relax...

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Looks like you've been working hard..... You should kick your feet up and relax...

Busy AF lately. I did use the infloor lift as a picnic table and ate lunch on it this weekend while working though, so that's something. 

CPU: i7-4790k MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Gene RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 w/ Noctua NF-A14s 

GPU: Asus Strix GTX-980 Case: Corsair 350D PSU: Corsair AX-760i Storage: 2 x 500GB Evo RAID0 + 2 x 8TB WD Red's in RAID1 

Do a burnout

120153030_344521010228416_2656050941312854085_n.png

Active Threads: Box Box Box - Project CARS & Assetto Corsa Players Club  | The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X+ Corsair H110i GT GPU: EVGA GTX1080 SC MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Intel 545s 512GB

1 hour ago, chaozbandit said:

Do a burnout

-snip-

"They can't get us all"

lol. Turns out they can

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

Alright car peoples, my cars stuffed and I haven't got a clue when it comes to cars. So if anyone is familiar with it and can give me some suggestions to check I'll appreciate it.

Nissan Pulsar N16, 1.8L auto

Driving home had loss of power. Was fine driving along the highway beforehand and then I pulled up at an intersection, waited a minute for traffic to clear so I could proceed through and then when I set off it felt super sluggish and there was just no power when I put the foot down (even more so than a normal Nissan Pulsar). Car was then idling at 100RPM (no idea how it didn't stall), barely crawling off from a stop. Foot down 3000RPM just to get going (would normally be like 1100-1300RPM). Engine struggling to turn over. Check engine light came on after it was stopped and started again.

Didn't sound like it was missing a cylinder or misfiring but I'll need to chuck it in the garage and pop the bonnet to give it a proper listen tomorrow.

Radiator temp was normal.

Might be fuel related as the car has been mostly sitting for a few months with only a handful of short trips in that time. The fuel in the tank would be 6+ months old and was running almost empty so probably pulling through all the crap that's been settling at the bottom of the tank. Fuel filter is probably buggered.

I'll try and take a closer look at it tomorrow and see what's happening but chances are it's not something I'll be able to fix myself and I'll likely have to try and get it to a mechanic. My tools consist of a 10mm spanner, possibly MIA. My knowledge of cars is even more lacking than my tool box.

So get your guesses in now and I'll update when/if I get it fixed what the problem was.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Alright car peoples, my cars stuffed and I haven't got a clue when it comes to cars. So if anyone is familiar with it and can give me some suggestions to check I'll appreciate it.

Nissan Pulsar N16, 1.8L auto

Driving home had loss of power. Was fine driving along the highway beforehand and then I pulled up at an intersection, waited a minute for traffic to clear so I could proceed through and then when I set off it felt super sluggish and there was just no power when I put the foot down (even more so than a normal Nissan Pulsar). Car was then idling at 100RPM (no idea how it didn't stall), barely crawling off from a stop. Foot down 3000RPM just to get going (would normally be like 1100-1300RPM). Engine struggling to turn over. Check engine light came on after it was stopped and started again.

Didn't sound like it was missing a cylinder or misfiring but I'll need to chuck it in the garage and pop the bonnet to give it a proper listen tomorrow.

Radiator temp was normal.

Might be fuel related as the car has been mostly sitting for a few months with only a handful of short trips in that time. The fuel in the tank would be 6+ months old and was running almost empty so probably pulling through all the crap that's been settling at the bottom of the tank. Fuel filter is probably buggered.

I'll try and take a closer look at it tomorrow and see what's happening but chances are it's not something I'll be able to fix myself and I'll likely have to try and get it to a mechanic. My tools consist of a 10mm spanner, possibly MIA. My knowledge of cars is even more lacking than my tool box.

So get your guesses in now and I'll update when/if I get it fixed what the problem was.

very stupid suggestion,

but was the handbrake possibly not all the way down,

i did this once when driving home after a party where i got about 2 hours of sleep, i basically had a hard time starting and stopping and the handbrake light wasn't on when i looked at the dashboard.

got kind of scared as i was on the motor way and hit 100kph and then for some reason the car slowed down when i went full throtthe and the rpm didn't increase.

sounded similar to what you described but it's entirely possible that it's unrelated.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

1 minute ago, flashiling said:

very stupid suggestion,

but was the handbrake possibly not all the way down,

i did this once when driving home after a party where i got about 2 hours of sleep, i basically had a hard time starting and stopping and the handbrake light wasn't on when i looked at the dashboard.

got kind of scared as i was on the motor way and hit 100kph and then for some reason the car slowed down when i went full throtthe and the rpm didn't increase.

sounded similar to what you described but it's entirely possible that it's unrelated.

Haha, nah, wasn't the handbrake. I stopped and started the car a few times (including parking, walking away and coming back to it later) while testing it so would have applied the handbrake at least half a dozen times. Also started having issues turning over so definitely not that.
I wish it was something that simple though :D

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450