YouTube on a Media Server

I am looking at setting up a home media server and have a few questions about what they can and cannot do.

My goal is to be able to use the server to stream (mostly music, maybe some videos) to my desktop, laptop, iOS device (iPod Touch 3rd gen) and my android phone (Oppo A57) simultaneously and with different content on each (of such I assume is pretty standard thus far).

A hiccup is that I live in shared accommodation so network access has little room for customisation (ie only one Ethernet connection which is being used by desktop). Therefore Bluetooth of WiFi required for transfer.

The features I am looking for are as follows:

- credentials so only my devices can work

- have server access YouTube (etc) playlist and stream it (with or without video, as in optional)

- same but for Netflix or other streaming services (with video of course)

- software interface for ease of use on the front end

- multiple devices streaming different content

I do not mind whether it is a NAS, second PC, raspberry pi etc for the setup. Whilst obviously money is always an issue at some point I want to know if it is possible before worrying about if it is a $10 solution (haha if only) or $10,000+ (at which is obviously out of budget).

Was wondering if a custom interface would be required for the software to allow for the YouTube streaming? Maybe a local PHP server which can relay the channels? Just spitballing, anyway thanks for your help

What do you want to do with youtube? download the videos and stream them? Youtube-dl can do that.

otherwise, get a switch and coonnect it to the same port as your desktop

id just get a desktop, run a linux distro on it, then install plex for media and do a bit of scripting.

i use plex and the youtube agent to stream and 4k video downloader to grag from youtube

16 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What do you want to do with youtube? download the videos and stream them? Youtube-dl can do that.

otherwise, get a switch and coonnect it to the same port as your desktop

id just get a desktop, run a linux distro on it, then install plex for media and do a bit of scripting.

Preferably stream as then I do not need as much storage space.

What scripting do you suggest? (as in script in what to do what)

16 hours ago, watty said:

i use plex and the youtube agent to stream and 4k video downloader to grag from youtube

Do either of these methods support playlists?

4kvd will download the whole playlist and you can make a playlist in plex or keep the playlist in a folder and make that folder a library in plex

6 hours ago, ZacWarhan said:

Preferably stream as then I do not need as much storage space.

Thats gonna be a pain to get the youtube to your site, so this will probably requrire a good amount of programming knolege.

I'm a little confused as to why you would want the Server to stream YouTube. You'd essentially be re-broadcasting the stream on demand.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. You should be able to just use the devices directly on YouTube. Pretty much anything that can run the Plex App either has a browser, or has a YouTube App. Most of them that I have used will play playlists without problems.

As for your non-YouTube requirements, sounds like the perfect situation for Plex Server.

Though I agree, I would suggest putting a switch in where the single Ethernet Port is, and then running a network cable to the "server". If you run it off an old/used desktop (not too old, mind you), then it'll be fairly quiet, and you can just tuck it away somewhere nearby the switch.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 2/25/2018 at 2:56 AM, dalekphalm said:

I'm a little confused as to why you would want the Server to stream YouTube. You'd essentially be re-broadcasting the stream on demand.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. You should be able to just use the devices directly on YouTube. Pretty much anything that can run the Plex App either has a browser, or has a YouTube App. Most of them that I have used will play playlists without problems.

As for your non-YouTube requirements, sounds like the perfect situation for Plex Server.

Though I agree, I would suggest putting a switch in where the single Ethernet Port is, and then running a network cable to the "server". If you run it off an old/used desktop (not too old, mind you), then it'll be fairly quiet, and you can just tuck it away somewhere nearby the switch.

Unfortunately switches do not work for some reason :( 

The reason is to reduced the data demand on the client device and so I do not need to have the youtube app open and can be doing other things on the device