Help! To buy or not to buy this server?

I just skipped past all previous posts, so I am sorry for redundancy if it happens.

It sounds like you should research the basics of the programs you will be using the componentst that will be best for those jobs. Here is a starting list:

• What programs of the ones you listed are CPU heavy? [You want to know if they like more cores or more clock speed]
  • Which programs need a GPU? [Do they like consumer cards, AMD or Nvidia, would they appreciate a Quadro? Watch Linus' latest video on 3D modeling GPUs, look at Puget Systems articles, check benchmarks]
  • How much space do you need? [What is the average file size for the given programs? How many files will be stored?]
  • What is the upgrade path? [This needs to be scalable]

Hope those get you started on some paths and trains of thought that help you avoid making mistakes and let you get what you really need.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Windows Server 2016 Essentials does not support the RDS role, you can have a maximum of 2 concurrent administrative remote sessions.

Have you considered just buying a QNAP NAS for network file storage then on your router setup multiple port forwards to the dedicated workstations for people to use? You can forward for example external port 6001 to 3389 (PC1 internal IP) and 6002 to 3389 (PC2 internal IP) and so on. If you only need file storage and no other features of Windows Server Essentials it's not worth paying extra for it or a higher end server than what is required.

For that actual server you are looking at that is a decent deal but only if you need more than network storage.

It'll be cheaper overall to buy a NAS and spend more on the workstations which you'll get more productive use out of.

This.

If you have a grand plan of virtualizing everyone's desktop, this server can not do that.  You need MUCH more power to accomplish that, much more expensive software, and a knowledgeable IT/IS staff.  Something like $20,000 in hardware alone is a good place to start.

Think 7 gamers one CPU level of cost.

26 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yeah even if you're doing consumer grade tasks...... and have been doing consumer grade tasks for 9 years

you know what? sure go ahead and spend the 1500 on server hardware you have my blessing.

Sheesh, condescending much? If my small business needs and questions are too petty for your hallowed input why bother responding? I arrived at this forum while trying to do some due diligence before making what I feel is a hefty purchase for my small business. BTW, my previous Dell equipment purchases were through their business division not the consumer one.

I consulted with an IT company 2 years ago and they wanted $4k for a lenovo server and setting up the network. ($3200 for the system and Microsoft server essentials alone). I thought that was highway robbery then. I am glad I did not make the purchase as it appears that even $1500 is excessive and will not serve our needs.

17 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

I just skipped past all previous posts, so I am sorry for redundancy if it happens.

It sounds like you should research the basics of the programs you will be using the componentst that will be best for those jobs. Here is a starting list:

• What programs of the ones you listed are CPU heavy? [You want to know if they like more cores or more clock speed]
  • Which programs need a GPU? [Do they like consumer cards, AMD or Nvidia, would they appreciate a Quadro? Watch Linus' latest video on 3D modeling GPUs, look at Puget Systems articles, check benchmarks]
  • How much space do you need? [What is the average file size for the given programs? How many files will be stored?]
  • What is the upgrade path? [This needs to be scalable]

Hope those get you started on some paths and trains of thought that help you avoid making mistakes and let you get what you really need.

That's ok. Thank you for your input and yes, this will help!

Revit and Illustrator are the most CPU heavy.

Revit 2017 minimum system requirements:

Single- or Multi-Core Intel® Pentium®, Xeon®, or i-Series processor or AMD® equivalent with SSE2 technology. Highest affordable CPU speed rating recommended.

Autodesk® Revit® software products will use multiple cores for many tasks, using up to 16 cores for near-photorealistic rendering operations. 

4GB RAM (sufficient for a single model up to 100MB on disk)

Video Adapter (Basic Graphics: display adapter capable of 24 bit color. Advanced Graphics:Direct X11 capable graphics with Shader Model 3)

5GB free space

Illustator's requirements are:

• Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon 64 processor
  • Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10*
  • 1 GB of RAM (3 GB recommended) for 32 bit; 2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended) for 64 bit
  • 2 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
  • 1024 x 768 display (1280 x 800 recommended)
  • To view Illustrator in HiDPI mode, your monitor must support a resolution of 1920 x 1080 or more.
  • OpenGL 4.x
  • To use the new Touch workspace in Illustrator, you must have a touch-screen-enabled tablet/monitor running Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 (Microsoft Surface Pro 3 recommended).
  • Optional: To use GPU Performance: an Intel, NVIDIA, or AMD video adapter from those listed below (medium/high-end recommended); 1 GB of VRAM (2 GB recommended); and latest drivers for optimal performance
  • NVIDIA Quadro K Series

NVIDIA Quadro 6xxx

NVIDIA Quadro 5xxx

NVIDIA Quadro 4xxx

NVIDIA Quadro 2xxx

NVIDIA Quadro 2xxxD

NVIDIA Quadro 6xx

NVIDIA GeForce GTX Series (4xx, 5xx, 6xx, 7xx, 9xx, Titan)

NVIDIA Quadro M Series

NVIDIA Quadro P Series

One of my largest client project files contains 768 files and is almost 3GB in size. Typically my project files are half this size but I have 9+ years worth to store and of course future projects to plan space for.  I do have a 2TB external hard drive that I have moved most of my old files to in order to free up space for the time being.

I have been using Revit for several years and am running an older version of it which I will be upgrading.

My current desktop configuration is:

Windows 7 Pro with SP1

Intel 2Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz

4GB RAM and an NVIDIA Quadro FX1700

(the system lags when processing photorealistic renderings) and is old so I will be replacing this in the near future too.

My thought was that I would install Revit on the server instead of my desktop or laptop and then it could be accessed by me or the draftsperson.

The rest of the system would be used primarily for file storage

Someone else asked about remote access to other CPUs in the office vs setting up virtual machines for every user. the only CPU in my office is my machine. My admin assistant has her own MacBook and brings it to the office to connect to the network or remote connects to the office into my CPU.

Looks like I need to look for an IT company to assist me. I thought I could tackle handling this on my own but after all of the input here, I am indeed over my head. I am not just looking at the server expense but a CPU, IT set up and a Revit software upgrade.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Windows Server 2016 Essentials does not support the RDS role, you can have a maximum of 2 concurrent administrative remote sessions.

Have you considered just buying a QNAP NAS for network file storage then on your router setup multiple port forwards to the dedicated workstations for people to use? You can forward for example external port 6001 to 3389 (PC1 internal IP) and 6002 to 3389 (PC2 internal IP) and so on. If you only need file storage and no other features of Windows Server Essentials it's not worth paying extra for it or a higher end server than what is required.

For that actual server you are looking at that is a decent deal but only if you need more than network storage.

It'll be cheaper overall to buy a NAS and spend more on the workstations which you'll get more productive use out of.

Thank you for the concise response!

I will look into just going with a NAS and adding a few solid workstations instead.

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

this was exactly my thought when i saw what they are doing with the server.

All they need is storage and the option to access it remotely so its a perfect match for what a NAS i made for.