ssd brand important ?

Carbide X
Go to solution Solved by genexis_x,

Yes it's important in SSD but still model also important. From what I know, Intenso SSDs are mediocre especially in write speed. Also unknown reliability.

Edit: Get a SSD with well-known reliability like Samsung 850/860 EVO/PRO,they are like a few bucks more only

Hey guys

I found this second hand 256gb ssd for a good price, the ssd is from "intenso" i never heard of this brand so my question is if i should buy it or nah

Yes it's important in SSD but still model also important. From what I know, Intenso SSDs are mediocre especially in write speed. Also unknown reliability.

Edit: Get a SSD with well-known reliability like Samsung 850/860 EVO/PRO,they are like a few bucks more only

Edited by ZM Fong

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Yes SSD brand matters.

A good brand can give you long warranty (3 years or more).

Bad brand may give you same warranty, but theres no guarantee that the company still exist that long.

SSD doesn't have the durability and longevity as a plain hdd, so better watch out.

Sudden ssd death is tipical and can also occurred with good brand, so long warranty is a must.

1st tier brand : Samsung, Kingston, Sandisk, Micron (crucial) & Intel

2nd tier : WD, Team, Adata, Silicon Power, Pny etc...

There are 3 types of ssd, look for MLC, avoid TLC if you can. SLC if you can afford it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

8 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

The brand is less important. Its better to compare the controller and the kind of flash on the ssd.

PCMASTERRACE:

Intel Core i7 4790K @4,8GHZ | ASUS GTX 1080TI 11GB StriX OC @2 ghz | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | G Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16gb | 750 Watt Corsair Power Supply
Zalmann Z11 + | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 | 6TB + 500 GB HDD | 250GB SSD | 500GB SSD
Samsung SyncMaster S22B300B | Benq RL2455HM | Acer XF270HUAbmiidprzx
Zowie FK2 |Corsair K70 LUX MX RED | Razer Megalodon 7.1 Headset | Auna Mic 900B | XXL Mousepad from TrilluXe

SV:

AMD FX 4100 | MSI 760GMA-P34 | 1TB HDD | Intel PRO 1000 PT | 8GB DDR3 non ECC | 500 watt gold PSU | Xilence AMD 3+ cooler

Brand isn't really important. I agree with BlvckRipper, the controller and flash modules are more important.

Intel, Samsung both make great SSDs and some really cheap nasty ones.

To a practial standpoint, I'd get the highest rated one and the most reviewed.

3 hours ago, BLVCKRIPPER said:

The brand is less important. Its better to compare the controller and the kind of flash on the ssd.

I agree with you, but most crappy brands use crappy controller and crappy flash

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Sometimes even the good brands make poor SSDs. I got a Crucial V4, and it was a lemon, bad controller, bad firmware, bad performance all from the factory. Then it died after a week. Sadly it was second hand, so I could not go for an RMA (the entire stock got RMAd, but I only checked after I purchased it second hand... fail me :( ).

So just check forums/reviews for any specific brand/model faults before you buy. I've had no troubles with Samsing SSDs (running 3 now, a 840, 750 and an OEM which I think is like a 740 in spec).

19 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yes SSD brand matters.

A good brand can give you long warranty (3 years or more).

Bad brand may give you same warranty, but theres no guarantee that the company still exist that long.

SSD doesn't have the durability and longevity as a plain hdd, so better watch out.

Sudden ssd death is tipical and can also occurred with good brand, so long warranty is a must.

1st tier brand : Samsung, Kingston, Sandisk, Micron (crucial) & Intel

2nd tier : WD, Team, Adata, Silicon Power, Pny etc...

There are 3 types of ssd, look for MLC, avoid TLC if you can. SLC if you can afford it.

This is only partly true.

A HDD, does not have a write durability rating like and ssd (but they are getting much better), but it does have a lot of moving parts that can die with little notice or from a bump at the wrong time.

An SSD is not sensitive to being bumped, and it does not have parts that are mechanical and can wear out. It does have a write durability but these days those are getting much better.

So if we look at a samsung 860 1tb... it will have a 1200TB write durability (minumum) meaning it is guaranteed to write this much data before failures are a risk (most go higher, but if you have sensitive data you don't want to)

Looking at average failure time for an HHD it is about 3 years before mechanical breaks downs start to become frequent. IF you compare that to an SSD it will not break down generally until you hit the WRITE cap, which most of the time you are just reading data. So if you have take the say 3 year average HDD failure time and divide 1096 (days) vs 1200 (write endurance rating) You find out you would need to write 1.1 TB a DAY to hit that limit. So in order for you to kill an SSD like that in 3 years you would literally need to rewrite the entire drive daily!

As a comparison most ISP's are setting softcaps on data at 1TB a month which they claim 95% of people don't even come close to using. Remember this cap is only of data WRITTEN. If we break this out to say 10 years (which 99.9% of hdd's will fail by) That is 3650(days) divided by 1200tb = 329 GB a day. So if you look at it that way you would need to write over about 1/3 of your SSD every day to kill it in 10 years.

So the truth is SSD endurance for most people is much better than the MTBF (Mean time between failures) of an HDD. Most consumers would be hard pressed to kill an SSD via write endurance in 10 years.

So when it comes to durability and dependability statements like yours are just false. You need to be really careless with an SSD to kill it. I mean there are going to be bad drives as with any other piece of equipment, but unless you are constantly scuffing around with your feet and shocking the drive... chances are it will outlast the rest of your system.

@AngryBeaver In theory yes, but in practice i got 2 dead ssd drive, one from corsair and one from OCZ, it died suddenly without any warnings. This happens from my ignorance about controllers and nand type. The disk is installed in a pc, so i would not say i'm careless, just unlucky or maybe ignorance. Got a bunch of 10-20gb plain hdd stored in my locker and they still run, 15 years old drive, i kept my stuff carefully. A HDD doesn't have write durability rating but you can monitor the wear and tear to give you warnings before it gone kaput. And if they do, usually the data can still be recovered much cheaper than ssd data recovery.

What i'm saying is good brand used the newest tech, the ssd was unmatured back then but is getting much better todays. But bad brand may still used some old tech so it can sell it cheaper, using weak tlc rather than mlc or even slc.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w