Wired Cat6 Ethernet connection half speed of 5ghz wireless

Seanw3490
1 minute ago, Ertman said:

I am fairly confident it will be the tv port.

Me too. It's the only thing that would make sense. I made sure everything else was 100 plus capable. Not a big deal. I don't have an issue with the wireless. I just figured a wired connection would be more reliable for the faster speeds. I was wrong. More reliable maybe but less speed. Tried to find the specifics of the LAN port on my specific tv and couldn't. It's probably a 10/100

9 minutes ago, Seanw3490 said:

Samsung un55mu6300

The only laptop I have I just checked the specs on it the LAN port is only a 10/100 so it will be of no help. 

IMG_0946.JPG

9 minutes ago, Seanw3490 said:

Me too. It's the only thing that would make sense. I made sure everything else was 100 plus capable. Not a big deal. I don't have an issue with the wireless. I just figured a wired connection would be more reliable for the faster speeds. I was wrong. More reliable maybe but less speed. Tried to find the specifics of the LAN port on my specific tv and couldn't. It's probably a 10/100

Well it will be more reliable. What I don’t get is why you need more speed to the TV. The slower wired speed would be fine for streaming 4K content. The only uhd bluray will have bit rates higher than the TVs port can support.

If you want to avoid running cables, then yes wireless is you best bet.

2 minutes ago, Seanw3490 said:

The only laptop I have I just checked the specs on it the LAN port is only a 10/100 so it will be of no help. 

IMG_0946.JPG

You may be able to find the speed if you log into your router Some routers will tell you what speed each ports are running at.

I can't find any information on the Ethernet port on the TV dumb Samsung. All we get is Ethernet port ---- yes.

8 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

You may be able to find the speed if you log into your router Some routers will tell you what speed each ports are running at.

I can't find any information on the Ethernet port on the TV dumb Samsung. All we get is Ethernet port ---- yes.

Yes either way I'm streaming 4k just fine this whole thread was only started because I couldn't believe I was running 30-50mb/s slower with the Cat6 Ethernet cable. I made sure every device along the way was capable of over 100mb/s. joostinonline figured out it was my tv LAN port most likely being a 10/100. Also my laptop is a 10/100 but I have an Xbox one S and more than likely that has a gigabyte LAN port to test the cable on. I just was only thinking of the modem and router etc (just things sending the signal). I never thought of the receiver (the tv LAN) slowing the speed. 

Basically im fine either way I just wanted to know why it was slower being wired 

thank you all for your responses and helping me figure it out. 

I read a lot of wrong facts through this post:

Cat 5e: max 1 Gbps

Cat 6: max 1 Gbps 

Cat 6a: max 10 Gbps

Cat 7 : max 10 Gbps

Netflix streams UHD @ 25 Mbps

4K streaming uses 45Mbps

Length of a cat 5e is 100m but a switch can double it, quality and interference of the cable can also influence the max length, you can double it once with a switch.

Tvs indeed have 100Mbps ports! All of them! But many have WiFi ac. There is no need for higher speeds then 45Mbps.

Try a Playstaion 4 connection speedtest and see what crap of a NIC they've put in there and you'll be happy with your Samsung / LG.

Hmm, just wanted to comment that TVs usually do have 100Mbs ports. My tv is the samsung 65ks8000 and it has one. I had to double check my Ethernet termination with my laptop and it gets the full 1Gb/s. It sure sucks they cheap out in tv lan though.

On 2/15/2018 at 10:51 PM, Seanw3490 said:

I apologize if this is in the wrong spot. I am new here and signed up specifically to get information on something that makes no sense to me. I recently purchased a new 4k Samsung smart tv and I also upgraded my internet speed from 30 to 100mb/s. My router is dual band and on the 5ghz at night I routinely get speeds of 110-130mb/s on both testmy.net and speed of me (ranked two most reliable on google). I decided to get a hard wired Ethernet connection which I assumed would keep my speeds more constant and reliable for the 4k content. I purchased both a 6ft and 50ft cat6 cable. The shorter one is for the modem to router then the 50 ft from the router slot 1 to my tv. With the wired connection I am averaging 50-90. I even switched back and forth at the same time doing the speed test on both sites wired than again wireless (5ghz). Could someone explain why I am getting half speed with a wired Ethernet connection?  Makes no sense. Thanks. 

Can you tell us exactly what model of TV we're talking about? It's possible (though unlikely) that the TV only has a 10/100 Fast Ethernet NIC in it.

On 2/15/2018 at 11:00 PM, SeanAngelo said:

probably the length of wire. idk, i may be wrong. can you not move the router closer to the tv?

No, that should have no impact at all. Cat 6 cables are rated for 1 Gbps up to 100m (that's ~330 feet). A 50 foot Cat 6 cable should have absolutely zero problems reaching full Gigabit speeds. Technically, a Cat 6 cable is also rated for 10 Gigabit speeds at up to 55m (Which is over 150 feet - over 3 times longer than his cable).

Unless the cable is defective, I suppose, but I doubt that's it.

EDIT: just caught up through the thread.

@Seanw3490 here's my suggestion:

1. Remove the 6 ft Cat 6 cable from the modem and router. Put the 50 ft cable there instead. Test WIFI speeds on the TV.

Are they same as before? If so, the cable is probably fine.

2. Reviews say your TV has a Gigabit Ethernet port, but I couldn't find any official documentation that actually said so. It's entirely possible that the TV only has a 10/100 Fast Ethernet port, and that reviewers simply assumed it was Gigabit without actually checking or testing this fact.

3. It's possible that your Router just has a crappy switch built into it. Though I'd be surprised, since it's not exactly a bottom-of-the-line router.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Can you tell us exactly what model of TV we're talking about?

literally doesnt matter.  i cant think of a single TV on the market that has a NIC capable of speeds higher than 10/100, and a lot are even less than that.

the TV is the bottleneck, there is no other solution.  the type of ethernet cable, the length of the cable, none of that matters even a little bit.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

11 hours ago, Tsuki said:

literally doesnt matter.  i cant think of a single TV on the market that has a NIC capable of speeds higher than 10/100, and a lot are even less than that.

the TV is the bottleneck, there is no other solution.  the type of ethernet cable, the length of the cable, none of that matters even a little bit.

If you had read my last post, you'd see that I did look up his model number, and discovered two things:

1. The manufacturer just doesn't list that spec. It only says "Ethernet: Yes"

2. Reviewers claim it's Gigabit, but there's nothing to actually back that up

So I agree. It's probably the TV. Not that it really matters. The TV should be totally fine over 10/100 Ethernet. That's more than enough to accommodate 4K Netflix, YouTube, etc, as well as a super high quality Plex Stream.

I don't see any issues with the OP simply continuing to run over 10/100 Ethernet. Now if the OP actually encounters a problem, such as buffering, etc, that doesn't happen on WIFI, then he should post back with all the details.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I have commented on the tv model number previously. The cables aren't the issue. It's 99% more than likely the tv LAN bottlenecking it. The modem is good up to 300 mb/s and the router has gigabyte capable ports. Every component on the way is capable up to 300 (my slowest component the modem). It has to be the tv. I will test the 50 ft on my Xbox one s which I would imagine has a gigabyte LAN port. If not than I'll take the other posters advice and plug the 50 from the modem to router and re run the test. I just would hate to pull the cord again I ran it through the floor into the basement and up through a hole into my room. The hole was barely big enough to get the head through.