CPU Cooler Performance Tier List

how good is a NH-L12? i need a cooler that blows down anyway for VRM's Sake

17 minutes ago, Oalei said:

how good is a NH-L12? i need a cooler that blows down anyway for VRM's Sake

Specs?

The NH-L12 is one of the best coolers available for some SFF cases but it isn't particularly groundbreaking if you have room to fit a larger cooler. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

31 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Specs?

The NH-L12 is one of the best coolers available for some SFF cases but it isn't particularly groundbreaking if you have room to fit a larger cooler. 

its for a 5 2400g and X370m Pro4 i want a cooler that blows down and have good performance, also price is something i would see later.
Normal Case maybe a M-ATX or ATX

Edited by Oalei

26 minutes ago, Oalei said:

its for a 5 2400g and X370m Pro4 i want a cooler that blows down and have good performance, also price is something i would see later.
Normal Case maybe a M-ATX or ATX

Can you be more specific about the case? Are there any you have in mind?

There are generally bigger and better coolers than the NH-L12.

Where are you shopping / located?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Can you be more specific about the case? Are there any you have in mind?

There are generally bigger and better coolers than the NH-L12.

Where are you shopping / located?

im trying to get the cheapest case that have front dust filter even though it will not be as effective as mesh but saving money.
Like a Be Quiet Dark Pro TF, but i want something that is considerably cheap or buyable.
https://www.enterkomputer.com/ or Tokopedia, Im at Indoensia. Budget around 600k IDR or something like that

4 minutes ago, Oalei said:

im trying to get the cheapest case that have front dust filter even though it will not be as effective as mesh but saving money.
Like a Be Quiet Dark Pro TF, but i want something that is considerably cheap or buyable.
https://www.enterkomputer.com/ or Tokopedia, Im at Indoensia. Budget around 600k IDR or something like that

Why not just use the stock cooler? You can always replace the cooler later down the road if you decide you want something better. 

5 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Why not just use the stock cooler? You can always replace the cooler later down the road if you decide you want something better. 

yeah not now but later on, im kinda trying to know a good cooler like that maybe after i got a 5 2600x or 5 3600 for the sake of VRM's not CPU (mostly).

I probably wont actually spend more than like 700k i think.

13 minutes ago, Oalei said:

yeah not now but later on, im kinda trying to know a good cooler like that maybe after i got a 5 2600x or 5 3600 for the sake of VRM's not CPU (mostly).

I probably wont actually spend more than like 700k i think.

There are many coolers better than the NH-L12 but what makes sense is usually limited by what will fit in your case. If you're not sure what case you're getting, I'd recommend sticking with the stock cooler first and seeing how it performs before buying a new cooler.

13 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

There are many coolers better than the NH-L12 but what makes sense is usually limited by what will fit in your case. If you're not sure what case you're getting, I'd recommend sticking with the stock cooler first and seeing how it performs before buying a new cooler.

its either a Venom RX Bravos or Fury both have clearenace of 160/158cm

Edited by Oalei

53 minutes ago, Oalei said:

its either a Venom RX Bravos or Fury

Downdraft coolers are better suited for cases with ventilated side panels and not solid panels like the cases you mentioned. 

Looking at enterkomputer.com, you could go with a cheaper tower cooler like the Gammaxx 400 and still get direct airflow to the vrm heatsinks with the fan lowered as well as lower cpu temps. 

If the temps are not satisfactory then, you can get an additional 140mm fan such as the Boreas A and attach it using the additional fan clips for push / pull for wider airflow coverage. If there isn't enough space for a full 25mm thickness fan to be lowered all the way to the motherboard, there's also the slimmer XT140 fan available. 

Removing the i/o shield can also help airflow a bit in either situation of a lowered fan on a tower heatsink or a downdraft cooler.

35 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Downdraft coolers are better suited for cases with ventilated side panels and not solid panels like the cases you mentioned.  

Looking at enterkomputer.com, you could go with a cheaper tower cooler like the Gammaxx 400 and still get direct airflow to the vrm heatsinks with the fan lowered as well as lower cpu temps.  

If the temps are not satisfactory then, you can get an additional 140mm fan such as the Boreas A and attach it using the additional fan clips for push / pull for wider airflow coverage. If there isn't enough space for a full 25mm thickness fan to be lowered all the way to the motherboard, there's also the slimmer XT140 fan available.  

Removing the i/o shield can also help airflow a bit in either situation of a lowered fan on a tower heatsink or a downdraft cooler. 

i wont force it tbh, maybe my old case is good enough i mean it have a fan for a side panel, but the front is just a little bit of room to pull air also have a fan compability problem so i might stick with a new case.

might buy aidos or ereboss then, well if thats the case those 2 will be more than enough IMO.

i already have a spare of 140mm fan laying around because it cant get return, its a fractal design silent R3.

well i will consider it probably wont do it because there is like small reptile or bugs everywhere so i dont think i will do it.

6 hours ago, Kaloob said:

@WoodenMarker Do you know the TDP of the Fuma and if it has PWM?

I couldn't find this info on their website.

Yes, it uses pwm fans. It's abnormal for coolers nowadays to not use pwm.

They don't mention TDP. They stopped using that spec a while ago.

3 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

Oh. Thanks for the info.

Would it be able to get a 1600 above 4 GHz?

Yeah, if it's anything like the Fuma Rev. B, it's considerably overkill. 

On 6/11/2019 at 6:42 PM, Kaloob said:

Just what I'm going for!

I put a NH-D14 on a ryzen 5 2600.  Go with a NH-D14, or NH-D15, if you want overkill.  The 2600, overclocked to 4.05 GHz, idles at a few degrees above ambient.  Taking off the gpus and cutting the case fans (which don't do much beyond look all rgb pretty) it's basically silent when running on Linux.  Running Cinebench 20 over and over brings the temp to a little over 60.

If you really want overkill, put them on your GPU as well. Check this out:

On 6/17/2019 at 10:18 AM, Kaloob said:

These are a bit too pricey, and it seems that the Fuma can compete with these coolers for less (with IMO, a better aesthetic). 

Or Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT? It performs similar to NH-D15, while being cheaper, 159mm height, only 1060 grams despite its massive size. Also more quiet than D15. It's worth to check.. Can also used without fan as a passive cooler.

DSC_0604.thumb.jpg.f0d2a7b381af452040efc5d3647748f3.jpg

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

Where is the gammaxx gte? 

Motherboard: MSI B450m Mortar Max

Processor: Ryzen 7 2700 w/ Wraith Prism

RAM: Klev Cras X 3200mhz 8gb x2

GPU:  Zotac Mini GeForce GTX 1070ti 8GB

PSU: Seasonic GX-750

Case: Inplay Robin 101 + 10 fans w/ hub and remote

Storage: Toshiba 1TB, Western Digital WD Green 1TB, Crucial BX500 480GB

9 hours ago, Rhaemond said:

Where is the gammaxx gte? 

Same as the GT but I've added it to the list for clarification. The difference between the two seems to be just the top plate aesthetic and the GTE relying on software control for lighting whereas the GT also includes a hardware controller. 

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Same as the GT but I've added it to the list for clarification. The difference between the two seems to be just the top plate being the aesthetic and the GTE relying on software control for lighting whereas the GT also includes a hardware controller. 

Thank you so much for clearing that up sir!

Motherboard: MSI B450m Mortar Max

Processor: Ryzen 7 2700 w/ Wraith Prism

RAM: Klev Cras X 3200mhz 8gb x2

GPU:  Zotac Mini GeForce GTX 1070ti 8GB

PSU: Seasonic GX-750

Case: Inplay Robin 101 + 10 fans w/ hub and remote

Storage: Toshiba 1TB, Western Digital WD Green 1TB, Crucial BX500 480GB

according to the list, ID Cooling IS-60 is better than Noctua NH-L9i, is that confirmed? 

IS-60 is quite cheap here. 75% the price of NH-L9i. 

I need the best cooler for my Node 202 build. sadly the better cooler isn't available anywhere (Big Shuriken 2, Thermalright AXP-100)

1 hour ago, thematic said:

according to the list, ID Cooling IS-60 is better than Noctua NH-L9i, is that confirmed? 

IS-60 is quite cheap here. 75% the price of NH-L9i. 

I need the best cooler for my Node 202 build. sadly the better cooler isn't available anywhere (Big Shuriken 2, Thermalright AXP-100)

It performs better and more comparable to the NH-L9x65. 

https://infogram.com/official-sffn-cpu-cooler-chart-1hmr6gyjwkz96nl?live

https://lanoc.org/review/cooling/7630-ryzen-itx-cooler-roundup?start=8

As for noise, you can get it quieter by replacing the fan with a NF-A12x15.

How come Mugen 5 is worse than GAMMAXX L240? I thought it's an beast air cooler that beats 90euro Noctua's such as the one in Tier 2.

I am searching for new cooler, i recently sold my Kraken x62 because of garbage software and i want to try another AIO that is comparable to x62 or maybe AIR cooler.

I am deciding between NH-D15, Dark Rock Pro 4, Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, Scythe Fuma 2, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Antec Mercury M360, arctic liquid freezer 360 or any other 360 which is the best.

My PC specs:

Asus Crosshair VII HERO

Ryzen 2600x(planning to switch to 3800x/3900x)

16gb Ballistix 300Mhz CL15

Be Quiet Straight Power 11 750w

Fractal Desing Meshify C

GTX 1070(waiting for 2080 ti)

On 6/25/2019 at 2:21 PM, mbdb1mmer said:

I am deciding between NH-D15, Dark Rock Pro 4, Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, Scythe Fuma 2, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Antec Mercury M360, arctic liquid freezer 360 or any other 360 which is the best.

I haven't found benchmarks for the Fuma 2 yet. 

What are your priorities? Are you planning to heavily oc?