Best 140mm Silent Case fan

Faketwisted

Hello.

As the title states, I am wondering what the best 140mm case fan is. I have been doing some research for a little while and it came down to Be quiet SW3, Corsair ML140Pro and the Noctua nf-a14 Chromax.

I want the quietest fan but still move enough airflow to cool my components. The case in use is the Define R6. Don't know what else to say except thank you for taking your time helping me.

I'd end up choosing the SW3 as the winner. About as quiet as the ML140 Pro but I feel that spending ~10 bucks more per fan is a bit silly for almost no benefit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

I'd end up choosing the SW3 as the winner. About as quiet as the ML140 Pro but I feel that spending ~10 bucks more per fan is a bit silly for almost no benefit.

They actually go for the same price here. So since they go for the same price is the ML140Pro worth it over the SW3?

I have MLs and they are quiet and I have heard that SW3 are about the same. If they are same price in your area then go for the one that looks better to you.

Edited by LordWaffleGoblin
I cannot spell

-CPU- 

AMD R7 1800x

-GPU- 

XFX Radeon R9 290x

-STORAGE- 

ADATA Premier SP550 480GB

Toshiba 3TB

-RAM- 

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x8)

-PSU- 

Evga 850w G2+

-MOBO- 

ASUS Prime X370-Pro

-CASE-

Corsair Obsidian 750D

-PERIPHERALS-

2013 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate

Logitech G302

-PART PICKER URL-

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vrqdQV

3 minutes ago, LordWaffleGoblin said:

I have MLs and they are quiet and I have heard that SW3 are about the same. If they are same price in your area then go for the one that looks better to you.

I saw recently that the ml's have a clicking sound at low rpm's that I will be doing. Have you had any of those problems?

Just now, Faketwisted said:

I saw recently that the ml's have a clicking sound at low rpm's that I will be doing. Have you had any of those problems?

I have not had any clicking but that is my case and doesn't mean it cannot happen.

-CPU- 

AMD R7 1800x

-GPU- 

XFX Radeon R9 290x

-STORAGE- 

ADATA Premier SP550 480GB

Toshiba 3TB

-RAM- 

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x8)

-PSU- 

Evga 850w G2+

-MOBO- 

ASUS Prime X370-Pro

-CASE-

Corsair Obsidian 750D

-PERIPHERALS-

2013 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate

Logitech G302

-PART PICKER URL-

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vrqdQV

18 minutes ago, Faketwisted said:

They actually go for the same price here. So since they go for the same price is the ML140Pro worth it over the SW3?

Oh if that's the case then I would probably get the ML fans over the SW3 just for dat bearing tho

Really only downside to the ML fans is that I think they just use a normal 4-pole motor compared to the SW3's 6 pole. Not a deal breaker, just slightly louder.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

What are your specs?

Have you used the stock case fans yet? The GP-14 X2's are pretty good already.

ML140 Pro's perform the best due to the higher rpm. SW3's and NF-A14's perform similarly. SW3's are the quietest. NF-A14's are probably the most consistently quiet after years of usage and has the longest warranty at 6 yrs compared to ML Pro's 5 yrs and SW3's 3 yrs. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 31.1.2018 at 4:35 AM, WoodenMarker said:

What are your specs?

Have you used the stock case fans yet? The GP-14 X2's are pretty good already.

ML140 Pro's perform the best due to the higher rpm. SW3's and NF-A14's perform similarly. SW3's are the quietest. NF-A14's are probably the most consistently quiet after years of usage and has the longest warranty at 6 yrs compared to ML Pro's 5 yrs and SW3's 3 yrs. 

Specs:

CPU:Threadripper 1950x

Cooler: NH-U14s Tr4-SP3

Motherboard: Zenith Extreme

Gpu: Gtx 1080 Ti strix oc.

I have been using the stock fans for about a week now and at first they were quiet from what I used to have but after a little while they've become quite noisy. They make a low pitch hum that is quite annoying.

4 hours ago, Faketwisted said:

Specs:

CPU:Threadripper 1950x

Cooler: NH-U14s Tr4-SP3

Motherboard: Zenith Extreme

Gpu: Gtx 1080 Ti strix oc.

I have been using the stock fans for about a week now and at first they were quiet from what I used to have but after a little while they've become quite noisy. They make a low pitch hum that is quite annoying.

Are you sure that the hum is coming from the case fans? Does stopping them with your hands remove the noise? What are the rest of your specs? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you sure that the hum is coming from the case fans? Does stopping them with your hands remove the noise? What are the rest of your specs? 

Should have just posted this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TLGpjc

Those are the only fans in motion except the noctua fans and I tested them before i installed them just to check them and they made no noise. When I stop them I can slightly hear it from the back fan since i can't hear the noise up front at all.

6 hours ago, Faketwisted said:

Should have just posted this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TLGpjc

Those are the only fans in motion except the noctua fans and I tested them before i installed them just to check them and they made no noise. When I stop them I can slightly hear it from the back fan since i can't hear the noise up front at all.

So did you stop both stock fans with your hands? What rpm are you running them at?

Get a noise blocker eloop.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

12 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

So did you stop both stock fans with your hands? What rpm are you running them at?

I did. I don't actually know how to check the fan speed of the fans since I used the fan hub of the r6 to power them. They are 3 pin fans.

6 hours ago, Faketwisted said:

I did. I don't actually know how to check the fan speed of the fans since I used the fan hub of the r6 to power them. They are 3 pin fans.

The hub only reads the rpm from the fan1 header and the signal comes from whatever header you plug it into. If you haven't yet, try setting a custom fan curve in the motherboard settings for that fan header.