is Comcast screwing me over?

SLPNTIM

When i run a speed test i get 3 mb/s. whenever i usually go and download anything my fastest speed is 500MB doesn't matter where i download from. If i use a VPN will my internet get faster? or is my Linksys WRT54 just too old for this ish?

i have also tried runnning test speeds using different servers in different locations like from ATL GA, USA to Istanbul/ Turkey and i am still getting 3mb/s

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

What Internet plan is that? That's so low....

it was a plan that was 15 dollars a month plan. and i don't need anymore than 3mb/s so why not i said.

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

Like Tek Syndicate says,

"On the contract, they will read "Up to" and end the call"

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

no no the thing is it has always been like this it doesn't fluctuate it's maximum is 500mb/s no matter what.

no no the thing is it has always been like this it doesn't fluctuate it's maximum is 500mb/s no matter what.

Spoken like a true noob.

wait what? 

You are on a capped plan. 

You have a 3 megaBIT connection

Meaning you download at 0.3 to 0.5 megaBYTES a second.

now i see thank you for the clear up i think this should be stickied or something so people will know

Spoken like a true noob.

Way to be that guy. If you don't have something helpful to say then don't say anything. Last I checked this forum wasn't here so people like you could go all "hurr durr yer a noob!11one. I r teh pro". This community exists to help others, not act like elitist d-bags.

@SLPNTIM

You are on a 3 mb/s connection you cap out @ 500 kb/s? Because if you are on a 3 mb/s connection there is no way you are going to pull something down at 166 times the download speed (500 mb/s) of your connection.

It could be many factors, your router/switch could be bottlenecking you, your area could be oversold, or they are capping you for some reason.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

If u have a docsis 2.0 modem go to there walk in center and get a docsis 3.0 also. If u have a 2.0 that frequency may bee overloaded a 3.0 has more lanes available to pull data through. The cable co i work for garuntees up to 15 for basic but i never drop below 18-19 down

Way to be that guy. If you don't have something helpful to say then don't say anything. Last I checked this forum wasn't here so people like you could go all "hurr durr yer a noob!11one. I r teh pro". This community exists to help others, not act like elitist d-bags.

@SLPNTIM

You are on a 3 mb/s connection you cap out @ 500 kb/s? Because if you are on a 3 mb/s connection there is no way you are going to pull something down at 166 times the download speed (500 mb/s) of your connection.

It could be many factors, your router/switch could be bottlenecking you, your area could be oversold, or they are capping you for some reason.

Talking about yourself as well? :huh:

Talking about yourself as well? :huh:

No. I had something helpful to say. I was admonishing you for being a d-bag.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

No. I had something helpful to say. I was admonishing you for being a d-bag.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

now i see thank you for the clear up i think this should be stickied or something so people will know

It actually is in the sticky.

The problem here is that your ISP measures in megabits, and your programs you use for downloading measures in megabytes. 1 megabyte is 8 megabits. 3 megabits = 384 kilobytes.

I don't think they're screwing you over.

Compatible with Windows 95

Of course they are.  That's how the industry works.  Charge the most possible for the least possible.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Get something like my speeds and you'll be fine if the speeds fluctuate.  

You really had to upload the ENTIRE screen?  You know you can hit share and then copy the image link right?

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

"Is comcast screwing me over?"

Answer: Yes, they're screwing everyone over.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

You really had to upload the ENTIRE screen?  You know you can hit share and then copy the image link right?

Hey. I like my screen. No I didn't know that. I will never know it because I barely use this thingy.