Is this normal temps for my i7 8700k

MaorRX

I am running an i7 8700k with a hyper 212 evo, I am stressing the CPU,FPU and,Cache  using aida 64 and these are the temps i get. is this normal safe temp, the cpu seems to kind of downclock from the 4.4ghz that it runs at and down it to 3.9GHZ as the cpu gets,hotter in benchmark. It seemed like at the start of benchmark cpu was running hotter but then it got colder from 80 celcius to 70???  

One of the cores even hit 90 celcius one time??? As you can see from aida 64 statistics.

Untitled.png

TECHNICALLY,  90c is fine...its very hot BUT its within intel's specs

PERSONALLY,  its too hot, i would want to improve those temps 

More importantly, what kind of temps do you see for your regular tasks (not benchmarks) like gaming, editing...or whatever it is you use your pc for

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Well you can say that 80 degrees celcius is the recommended max temperature for your CPU. But 90 degrees celcius can in a rare case damage the CPU a little. Hows the airflow inside the pc? Do you have a exhaust fan?

2 hours ago, Thinkfreely said:

Also coffeelake runs super hot

Nahh I got the 8400 and I run 40-50 degrees when gaming. I also got the hyper 212 evo

1 minute ago, Kristoffer Gregersen said:

Nahh I got the 8400 and I run 40-50 degrees when gaming. I also got the hyper 212 evo

Sorry, the non overclockable, lower clocked, lower TPD coffeelake doesn't run hot :P. The 8700k overclocked or stock runs really hot. I have built two PC's both AIO cooled with that CPU...it runs hot.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

2 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

Sorry, the non overclockable, lower clocked, lower TPD coffeelake doesn't run hot :P. The 8700k overclocked or stock runs really hot. I have built two PC's both AIO cooled with that CPU...it runs hot.

Thats true. 7700k got the same issue

3 hours ago, mok said:

TECHNICALLY,  90c is fine...its very hot BUT its within intel's specs

PERSONALLY,  its too hot, i would want to improve those temps 

More importantly, what kind of temps do you see for your regular tasks (not benchmarks) like gaming, editing...or whatever it is you use your pc for

It only runs at 90 for like a few seconds at the start of benchmark and then it cools itself down

2 hours ago, Kristoffer Gregersen said:

Ya but I am pretty sure an i7 heats up alot more

2 hours ago, MaorRX said:

It only runs at 90 for like a few seconds at the start of benchmark and then it cools itself down

During normal stuff it does not get that hot, like 60 i think

So do you guys think i should upgrade to a better cooler, and is this normal temps for a 212 evo and an i7 8700k

Based on your experience with 8700k, do you think i should upgrade to a AIO water cooler

3 minutes ago, MaorRX said:

Based on your experience with 8700k, do you think i should upgrade to a AIO water cooler

So the really high quality air coolers, perform within degrees of AIO's (Sometimes even better), so I would just get either an AIO or a really good air cooler.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

So the really high quality air coolers, perform within degrees of AIO's (Sometimes even better), so I would just get either an AIO or a really good air cooler.

So would something like this suffice?? 

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103233&cm_re=cpu_cooler-_-35-103-233-_-Product

The biggest problem I have right now is getting a better cooler!!!

You guys probably dont know what it is like encouraging your parents to spend an extra $100 on a computer you build for like 3 grands, let me tell you, not so easy!!!!!!!

I would suggest, if you were really concerned, to get at least a 140mm aio, or a twin tower air cooler like this one https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V21E0640&cm_re=dark_rock_pro_3-_-13C-001F-00002-_-Product

The biggest problem I have right now is getting a better cooler!!!

You guys probably dont know what it is like encouraging your parents to spend an extra $100 on a computer you build for like 3 grands, let me tell you, not so easy!!!!!!!

Used air coolers are reliable and a good alternative. 

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

2 hours ago, ShadowChaser said:

I would suggest, if you were really concerned, to get at least a 140mm aio, or a twin tower air cooler like this one https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V21E0640&cm_re=dark_rock_pro_3-_-13C-001F-00002-_-Product

The reason I am no going to go with this cooler is the amount of space it takes up??

It might block me from being able to install my ram!!!

2 hours ago, ShadowChaser said:

Used air coolers are reliable and a good alternative. 

I dont know,I am afraid of used stuff, I prefer new.  I dont trust people.

The reason I am no going to go with this cooler is the amount of space it takes up??

It might block me from being able to install my ram!!!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V55A7979&cm_re=r1_universal-_-13C-000U-00001-_-Product

Designed to be compatible to most if not all mobos

This is why I didn't mention aios, towers are robust and hard to mess up. A used tower will perform just as well as a new one, save for the few minutes of cleaning. I'm personally rocking a used Cryorig C7 as well as a Hyper 212 evo. Of course, if you can catch a sale, I'd go new for the warranty.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608045&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-CPU+Cooling-_-N82E16835608045&gclid=CjwKCAiA-KzSBRAnEiwAkmQ15wrTc3Hf9fvA2MnlGHfj2OXwdVlecCZPzD8piyjsR294eFEUEvY7xhoCwgMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is a good tower for quiet and cool operation, if you're concerned about compatibility, just remove the front fan. It's also $10 off right now.

1 minute ago, ShadowChaser said:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V55A7979&cm_re=r1_universal-_-13C-000U-00001-_-Product

Designed to be compatible to most if not all mobos

This is why I didn't mention aios, towers are robust and hard to mess up. A used tower will perform just as well as a new one, save for the few minutes of cleaning. I'm personally rocking a used Cryorig C7 as well as a Hyper 212 evo. Of course, if you can catch a sale, I'd go new for the warranty.

Ya you are right, I have been looking online saw a good deal on a  used noctua, i am just afraid of ram clearance issues. Since the cooler is huge and has two fans.

Just now, MaorRX said:

Ya you are right, I have been looking online saw a good deal on a  used noctua, i am just afraid of ram clearance issues. Since the cooler is huge and has two fans.

Cryorig Universal coolers and the NH-D15 will have almost no clearance issues, plus you can just return it anyway if on the off chance it does interfere.

9 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

Cryorig Universal coolers and the NH-D15 will have almost no clearance issues, plus you can just return it anyway if on the off chance it does interfere.

are u sure, because the nh d15 is a huge cooler

During normal stuff it does not get that hot, like 60 i think

then thats fine

you dont need to replace the cooler

just avoid synthetic benchmakrs...its not a realistic load for your everyday use

HOWEVER

you have a processor designed to overclock

if you start overclocking then your current cooler is not good enough 

3 hours ago, mok said:

then thats fine

you dont need to replace the cooler

just avoid synthetic benchmakrs...its not a realistic load for your everyday use

HOWEVER

you have a processor designed to overclock

if you start overclocking then your current cooler is not good enough 

When my case was closed, i even reached 100 celcius. I am going to replace it with a  Noctua

NH-D15

24 minutes ago, MaorRX said:

When my case was closed, i even reached 100 celcius. I am going to replace it with a  Noctua

NH-D15

good call

1 hour ago, mok said:

good call

I have a fractial Define R5 so when its closed it heats up alot. The only fans I use right now is the back one on the case, and psu and cpu fan. I am not using the front fan because wire does not reach to motherboard fan header. So After I get an NH-D15 and an extender for length of wire for the front fan and maby some more regular chasis fans in the top it should run alot cooler.  For now I just wont task the system, i will just do lite load on system. Once i can encourage parents to get me a noctua NH-D15 I will replace it.

8 hours ago, MaorRX said:

I have a fractial Define R5 so when its closed it heats up alot. The only fans I use right now is the back one on the case, and psu and cpu fan. I am not using the front fan because wire does not reach to motherboard fan header. So After I get an NH-D15 and an extender for length of wire for the front fan and maby some more regular chasis fans in the top it should run alot cooler.  For now I just wont task the system, i will just do lite load on system. Once i can encourage parents to get me a noctua NH-D15 I will replace it.

i use a R5 as well

why dont you just hook up the front fan to the case's fan controller??

it supports upto 3 fans - i use it to control two in the front and one in the rear .

it takes one sata power connector and splits out to three 3pin fan headers

and the switch on the front of the case lets you set the fans to low-medium-high

15 hours ago, MaorRX said:

are u sure, because the nh d15 is a huge cooler

What RAM you are even using?

8 hours ago, MaorRX said:

2 in, 1 out should be fan config. From first post your temps are fine for stress testing results and you have some headroom to go higher.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

What RAM you are even using?

2 in, 1 out should be fan config. From first post your temps are fine for stress testing results and you have some headroom to go higher.

I am using corsair vengeance lpx 2400 2x8gb

7 hours ago, MaorRX said:

I am using corsair vengeance lpx 2400 2x8gb

It's low-profile RAM. You can use any cooler you like. There won't be any issues with fitting.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv