Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

It doesn't yeild a lot of points (nothing compared to GPU folding), but you can crank through a LOT of small WU's if you have that running on full on a decent CPU.

Thanks Mate,

It certainly clocks up the WU's but not the points.  I don't think I'll bother, even with my CPU it's dismal compared to the GPU.

Speaking of GPU's, I've just thrown my spare in (980Ti) so will see how that goes.  It's already made the Titan X run about 10 degrees hotter, so will have to keep an eye on it. 

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5Ghz MB: Rampage V Extreme GPU: Titan X (self OC) Mem: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 @ 3000 PSU: Corsair AX1200i With Green/Black Sleeved Cablemod Cables, Case: Corsair 900D KB: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry Red, Mouse: Logitech G502 + Destructor 2 Mat, Sound: Logitech Z623 Speakers, Display: 2x Samsung BX2440's, Cooling: Corsair H100i on CPU. 5x 140mm Intake fans + 1x 140mm Exhaust.

Could I integrate this into my FREENAS OS as that computer is already running 24/7 and underutilized

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

On 1/29/2016 at 5:20 PM, Deltek said:

On some date and time Whaler_99 said: It doesn't yeild a lot of points (nothing compared to GPU folding), but you can crank through a LOT of small WU's if you have that running on full on a decent CPU.

and then I replied with:

Thanks Mate,

It certainly clocks up the WU's but not the points.  I don't think I'll bother, even with my CPU it's dismal compared to the GPU.

Speaking of GPU's, I've just thrown my spare in (980Ti) so will see how that goes.  It's already made the Titan X run about 10 degrees hotter, so will have to keep an eye on it. 

Perhaps it's pareidoila but I've my suspicions that GPU and CPU folding, at max levels is not so great.

I suspect that Folding on the CPU while GPU folding lowers the GPU scores.  I believe the GPU folding still uses/needs? one CPU core as a feeder, so perhaps this is the issue I think I might be seeing.

Keen to hear from others who've experimented along the same path...

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5Ghz MB: Rampage V Extreme GPU: Titan X (self OC) Mem: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 @ 3000 PSU: Corsair AX1200i With Green/Black Sleeved Cablemod Cables, Case: Corsair 900D KB: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry Red, Mouse: Logitech G502 + Destructor 2 Mat, Sound: Logitech Z623 Speakers, Display: 2x Samsung BX2440's, Cooling: Corsair H100i on CPU. 5x 140mm Intake fans + 1x 140mm Exhaust.

2 minutes ago, Deltek said:

Perhaps it's pareidoila but I've my suspicions that GPU and CPU folding, at max levels is not so great.

I suspect that Folding on the CPU while GPU folding lowers the GPU scores.  I believe the GPU folding still uses/needs? one CPU core as a feeder, so perhaps this is the issue I think I might be seeing.

Keen to hear from others who've experimented along the same path...

Yupp, you got the right impression. The gpu needs a set amount of cpu resources to feed it. 
Folding on the cpu almost inevitably interferes with the gpu folding to a lesser or bigger extent. 
Might yield lower overall ppd at the end of the day depending on your setup and wu's received.

The only cpu folding i was able to do with almost no interference with the gpu folding was
light-medium folding in the chrome app.

1 minute ago, tobben said:

Yupp, you got the right impression. The gpu needs a set amount of cpu resources to feed it. 
Folding on the cpu almost inevitably interferes with the gpu folding to a lesser or bigger extent. 
Might yield lower overall ppd at the end of the day depending on your setup and wu's received.

The only cpu folding i was able to do with almost no interference with the gpu folding was
light-medium folding in the chrome app.

Ahah. I'll just do 0 CPU folding then.  It never seemed to give many points on my 8 core anyway.

One less set of fans running at 80-100% can only be a good thing :P

Thanks

P.S. I also got the odd BSOD too when CPU folding.

Just a small questions because i think its not worth a new thread. Is there a difference using folding at hom on windows 7 or 10? (gpu only folding)

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

Just a small questions because i think its not worth a new thread. Is there a difference using folding at hom on windows 7 or 10? (gpu only folding)

As far as I've heard, there is no noticeable difference between Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.

25 minutes ago, SkyFall said:

As far as I've heard, there is no noticeable difference between Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.

Thank you for the fast response

Is it too late to get a Folding at Home Badge? I've completed 4 WU's (folding on my i5 2500k), 1158 credits. is that enough to get a badge?

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

Is it too late to get a Folding at Home Badge? I've completed 4 WU's (folding on my i5 2500k), 1158 credits. is that enough to get a badge?

Yeah same here. I think I got over 5 WUs done for the LTT team. Can I get a FAH badge too?

Out atm so I'll get a link to my profile once I get home.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

@Geralt @Henry

It is never too late to get the badge, unless the system would get abolished

for whatever reason way down the line. But as it stands, i am not aware 

of such a thing being considered.

The pinned FAQ contains the answer, but it is currently abit of a "work in

progress" since the forum update. 

To get the badge, or a badge you either have to do more than 24 wu's or

have atleast 1 million points. But, if you want to participate for more than

simply getting a badge, that is much appreciated ;). I'd say the member

badges are probably more fun to have when you are actively participating.

Either way, you both got abit more work to do to qualify for either of the

first badges.

Been a fan of the youtube channel for a while. Decided to join here. Haven't folded in years, so, let the folding commence!

16 hours ago, tobben said:

@Geralt @Henry

It is never too late to get the badge, unless the system would get abolished

for whatever reason way down the line. But as it stands, i am not aware 

of such a thing being considered.

The pinned FAQ contains the answer, but it is currently abit of a "work in

progress" since the forum update. 

To get the badge, or a badge you either have to do more than 24 wu's or

have atleast 1 million points. But, if you want to participate for more than

simply getting a badge, that is much appreciated ;). I'd say the member

badges are probably more fun to have when you are actively participating.

Either way, you both got abit more work to do to qualify for either of the

first badges.

I actually just checked my profile.

15 WUs at 71226 credits currently. Getting close to the 1 million mark. :D

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

Welcome to the Team.

I am about to retire, as soon as I hit 100M points (97.6M as I write this).  I dropped back from dual GPU (non SLI) folding, as my system had a big fart ..and I was concerned about seeing smoke from my TitanX again lol ...well not really as I hadn't over volted this time.  But running 2 cards (non SLI) certainly made the TitanX run warmer (Stock air) ...I was averaging 1.2M PPD ..but seeing as I only have 2 or 3 Mil to go to get the gold badge, Even running only one card it won't take me long.  Under a week I'm guessing.

/me whispers "Perhaps I would continue if a Platinum badge was added :D  500M ?"

Not sure if it's me, or there's some sort of radeon curse I've fallen under, but I can't seem to get my 270x to fold.  GPU utilization stays at 0%, and ETA for any WU is 7 days.  I've tried using programs to prevent the card from downclocking, but to no avail.  This is on a fresh install of windows 10, all proper drivers installed, latest FAH client as well.  Any help?

20 hours ago, jtmc713 said:

Not sure if it's me, or there's some sort of radeon curse I've fallen under, but I can't seem to get my 270x to fold.  GPU utilization stays at 0%, and ETA for any WU is 7 days.  I've tried using programs to prevent the card from downclocking, but to no avail.  This is on a fresh install of windows 10, all proper drivers installed, latest FAH client as well.  Any help?

In short. no idea :)

Under Advanced Control, then Config/Slots ..is there a GPU one listed ?

I've never used W10, and not used a Radeon since my 1st PC build after ditching my Amiga *sighs* ..over 20 years ago

Also, is F@H not blocked via a firewall or anything ?

17 minutes ago, Deltek said:

Also, is F@H not blocked via a firewall or anything ?

I believe F@H only needs to communicate with the server before and after a WU. The work server and collection server IP addresses are stated on the Advanced Controls so if you need to set an exception in your firewall, the IP addresses are there.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

On 14.2.2016 at 9:42 AM, jtmc713 said:

Make a new thread about it, post a screenshot and such.

Hopefully we will be able to help. 

Alright, I've just nudged 100M points and am now retiring from Folding as previously mentioned.

Have fun everyone! :)

@Whaler_99 May I please have my badge.

On 2/1/2016 at 0:06 AM, Deltek said:

Ahah. I'll just do 0 CPU folding then.  It never seemed to give many points on my 8 core anyway.

One less set of fans running at 80-100% can only be a good thing :P

Thanks

P.S. I also got the odd BSOD too when CPU folding.

just wanted to say nice pic

lol ..thanks :D