Update your Android phones soon. New vulnerability named "Janus" allows attackers to modify apps without changing signatures

captain_to_fire
10 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

OnePlus unfortunately just announced that they’re not supporting Project Treble. I hope the likes of Samsung, HTC, LG and others support it to their current and upcoming Android 8.0 devices. Tbh part of the reason why many Android phones are fragmented and don’t receive updates that often is because of Qualcomm. Qualcomm only releases drivers up to two years and this is one of the reasons why Google is becoming a bit like Apple by adding an in-house custom machine learning SoC to the Pixel 2/2XL and was enabled by the 8.1 update. I hope Google decides to ditch Qualcomm in fsvor of their own SoCs. 

The only thing that Google controls is the Google Play Services but AOSP remains open source. That’s why Amazon Fire tablets are actually Android devices but doesn’t have the Google Play Services which is proprietary. 

I still wouldn't have problems with Oneplus, because the community behind it is amazing, I'm talking about the XDA developers. For example, I just upgraded a Nexus 5 to the latest security patch and Oreo 8.1. If there is a community behind it, I trust them more to keep the device updated than the manufacturer. 

1 minute ago, Matu20 said:

I still wouldn't have problems with Oneplus, because the community behind it is amazing, I'm talking about the XDA developers. For example, I just upgraded a Nexus 5 to the latest security patch and Oreo 8.1. If there is a community behind it, I trust them more to keep the device updated than the manufacturer. 

If there's an impression XDA developers have left on me is that they can submit any Android phone to their knees. :P

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

If there's an impression XDA developers have left on me is that they can submit any Android phone to their knees. :P

That they do and I'm thankful for them :D

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

doctor-cox-eh-o.gif

Not any device. You need to be able to unlock the boot loader and if it's a Mediatek device you can forget about it.

14 hours ago, Trixanity said:

doctor-cox-eh-o.gif

Not any device. You need to be able to unlock the boot loader and if it's a Mediatek device you can forget about it.

i don't know about Mediatek powered phones but for the majority of Android phones, they are bootloader unlocked

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

On 12/9/2017 at 7:25 AM, WereCat said:

Update on Android?

You mean... buy a new phone?

Literally did just that. xD 

Needed an upgrade anyway. This was the final push.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

On 12/9/2017 at 10:58 AM, AluminiumTech said:

Tell me about it...

I'm on the September or October patch level and it's December -_-.

Oh, I've got you both beat. My T-mobile Revvl, a device that came out in August, has never seen a single update. It's still on 7.0 and the latest security update is from July 1st.

On 12/10/2017 at 1:32 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

So I'm running some version of Android 4, am I safe?

The article says it only effects 5 and newer but suggests 7 is fine.  I dare say your safe.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 10/12/2017 at 4:45 AM, Froody129 said:

Remember when iOS 11.2 caused people's phones to simply shut down randomly? Apple isn't magic and also have flaws

11.2 fixed that issue, as there was a notification bug for 3rd party apps causing the phone to try and refresh on 11.1.2, and reload them after December 2nd due to a clash with the date.

Interestingly enough, many thought it was rebooting. But if you were on a call or downloading the update to fix it, it wouldn’t “refresh”.

Apple pushed out a fix the same weekend, and there’s a public how to article on their site, and iOS support app for it at least. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

On 12/9/2017 at 9:34 AM, hey_yo_ said:

I'm actually considering to go back to Android and maybe get the S9 because of my disappointment with iOS 11 and that awful iPhone X design. I cancelled my order for the iPhone 8+ and waiting for something better. The chronological notification center of iOS 11 alone is a big mess and a big pile of poor design.

S9 will be great, but there will be like, 5 versions. S9, S9+, S9 Active, S9 Mini (it`s not BS, made to compete with the rumored iPhone SE 2) and Note9

2 hours ago, DanielMDA said:

S9 will be great, but there will be like, 5 versions. S9, S9+, S9 Active, S9 Mini (it`s not BS, made to compete with the rumored iPhone SE 2) and Note9

Active and Note are later releases and while they share a platform I would consider them a different market segment.

Just now, Trixanity said:

Active and Note are later releases and while they share a platform I would consider them a different market segment.

Still, same internals, and base design wih a few variations, it`s still the same platform.

2 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Still, same internals, and base design wih a few variations, it`s still the same platform.

Dangerous way of thinking because the budget segments rehashes the same platforms to a much larger degree so you'll end up calling them the same device as well.

As I said: the two devices cater to a different audience. Note has a pen and cater more to power users. Active is a durable flagship aimed at the people living an active lifestyle or working outdoors. No need to come up with wildly different internals when it's the full package that matters and it is ultimately different.