One network. Multiple transmitters.

Marf85

Networking stuff has always beed confusing to me.. currently i have 100 megabit cable internet through a netgear CG3000-2STAUS.. 4 port ethernet with wifi.

The modem is at one end of the house and the lounge room is across the other end of the house with poor wifi reception.

Id like to run a ethernet cable to the lounge room to hardwire some sort of device to broadcast the same wifi network (ssid i think its called) as the one the cable modem is broadcasting.. there will be phones, tablets, and a brand new 4k oled smart tv streaming stuff from 4k netflix and from my NAS next to the modem..

What gadget am i looking for??

Also i live in australia, so not so many choices for gadgets here.. something linked from either of these two stores would be great.. thanks in advance :)

Scorptec.com.au

Pccasegear.com

What you're looking for is an Access Point. I would personally recommend Ubiquiti's UniFi range of access points, specifically the AC AP Pro. 

Tired and dyslexic pls disregard. 

Off topic: I could tell you were an aussie instantly from your lexicon. Loungeroom is something I've not heard anyone except us say :3 

1 minute ago, Sylvie said:

I'd recommend just drilling a tiny ethernet sized hole in the wall and hardwiting your PC that way. 

A drill is much cheaper.

Off topic: I could tell you were an aussie instantly from your lexicon. Loungeroom is something I've not heard anyone except us say :3 

Did you read the post? He's trying to get better WiFi for phones, tablets and a smart TV, where did recommending just hard-wiring a PC come from?

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Did you read the post? He's trying to get better WiFi for phones, tablets and a smart TV, where did recommending just hard-wiring a PC come from?

I'm tired and dyslexic pls ignore

15 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

What you're looking for is an Access Point. I would personally recommend Ubiquiti's UniFi range of access points, specifically the AC AP Pro. 

so like this one?? https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wireless/Access-Points/66440-UAP-AC-M-PRO

also. apart from around $200 or so... whats the difference between the Ubiquiti and this TP-Link.. https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wireless/Access-Points/37107-TL-WA901ND

learning here still :) .. also i forgot to mention that i might need some ethernet ports in the lounge behind the TV for future expansions of blu-rays or set-tops or maybe even a steamlink. but i can just plug a network switch before the wifi transmitter right? or is there a better way to go about this

15 hours ago, Sylvie said:

Tired and dyslexic pls disregard. 

then what do others call it?

4 hours ago, Marf85 said:

so like this one?? https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wireless/Access-Points/66440-UAP-AC-M-PRO

also. apart from around $200 or so... whats the difference between the Ubiquiti and this TP-Link.. https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wireless/Access-Points/37107-TL-WA901ND

learning here still :) .. also i forgot to mention that i might need some ethernet ports in the lounge behind the TV for future expansions of blu-rays or set-tops or maybe even a steamlink. but i can just plug a network switch before the wifi transmitter right? or is there a better way to go about this

No, not the mesh one. The one I mean is the curricular one. 

This one https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wireless/Access-Points/61354-UAP-AC-Pro-AU 

$200 rather than $280. Still pricey, but about the same as it costs here in the UK if you convert the currency. 

Biggest difference is the TP-Link AP is only 802.11n, while the AC AP Pro is 802.11ac and dual band. So speeds are a lot faster on the AP AC Pro, it will also handle more clients better and the range is better. The TP-Link also does a misleading marketing tactic that's fairly common on consumer grade networking equipment. It advertises 450Mbps bandwidth, but it only uses a 100 Mbps Ethernet port, while the AC AP Pro uses a full Gigabit port. AC AP Pro also has 802.3af/at support (power over Ethernet with power negotiation and remote reboot) while the TP-Link is passive PoE only, though that might not matter to you if you just plan on using the included PoE injector to power the access point. 

If $200 is a bit too much, take a look at the UniFi AP AC Lite, which is $120. Not quite as good as the AC AP Pro, but still dual band, still full gigabit port and still much faster and better range than the TP-Link AP. You lose some speed, range, the dual ethernet ports and 802.3af/at support from the Pro, but I kind of doubt the dual ethernet and 802.3af/at support really matters for your use case. 

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wireless/Access-Points/61350-UAP-AC-Lite-AU

Yeah, just run the cable into a switch, then go from the switch to other devices. Most access points now days (this includes the Ubiquiti ones I recommended) will use a PoE injector. This means you have a little box that plugs into a power outlet, then you take the cable from the switch and plug it into the "LAN" port on the injector and then take another cable from the "PoE" ports and plug it into the access point. There's no dedicated power cable running to the access point, so it can give you some more flexibility as to where you put it. 

For the switch, I assume you're not going to need more than 5 ports? 4 ports will be available for devices, as one will have to go to the cable from the router/modem. To be honest, any unmanaged gigabit port from a known brand will do. You can get metal housing switches which feel and look a bit nicer, but don't really differ much from the plastic ones. These are the ones I'd recommend, based on my personal experience with them being good:

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wired/Gigabit-Switches/51242-TL-SG105

I have the 8 port version running at home

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wired/Gigabit-Switches/51038-GS205

Had one of these for a while before replacing it with the 8 port of the version above. Never had any issues with it, I'll probably end up using it for something else in the future. 

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:46 PM, Marf85 said:

Networking stuff has always beed confusing to me.. currently i have 100 megabit cable internet through a netgear CG3000-2STAUS.. 4 port ethernet with wifi.

The modem is at one end of the house and the lounge room is across the other end of the house with poor wifi reception.

Id like to run a ethernet cable to the lounge room to hardwire some sort of device to broadcast the same wifi network (ssid i think its called) as the one the cable modem is broadcasting.. there will be phones, tablets, and a brand new 4k oled smart tv streaming stuff from 4k netflix and from my NAS next to the modem..

What gadget am i looking for??

Also i live in australia, so not so many choices for gadgets here.. something linked from either of these two stores would be great.. thanks in advance :)

Scorptec.com.au

Pccasegear.com

check out professor messor - routing

this has a 2 router system shown each router has own gateway and share same wan with no NAT issues

but you'll need routers to share wifi client tables for a straight seemless transition from wifi to wifi and inside your devices set weakhostsend/recieve=disabled so wifi adapter auto use strongest source

On 12/9/2017 at 5:13 AM, Oshino Shinobu said:

No, not the mesh one. The one I mean is the curricular one. 

This one https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wireless/Access-Points/61354-UAP-AC-Pro-AU 

$200 rather than $280. Still pricey, but about the same as it costs here in the UK if you convert the currency. 

Biggest difference is the TP-Link AP is only 802.11n, while the AC AP Pro is 802.11ac and dual band. So speeds are a lot faster on the AP AC Pro, it will also handle more clients better and the range is better. The TP-Link also does a misleading marketing tactic that's fairly common on consumer grade networking equipment. It advertises 450Mbps bandwidth, but it only uses a 100 Mbps Ethernet port, while the AC AP Pro uses a full Gigabit port. AC AP Pro also has 802.3af/at support (power over Ethernet with power negotiation and remote reboot) while the TP-Link is passive PoE only, though that might not matter to you if you just plan on using the included PoE injector to power the access point. 

If $200 is a bit too much, take a look at the UniFi AP AC Lite, which is $120. Not quite as good as the AC AP Pro, but still dual band, still full gigabit port and still much faster and better range than the TP-Link AP. You lose some speed, range, the dual ethernet ports and 802.3af/at support from the Pro, but I kind of doubt the dual ethernet and 802.3af/at support really matters for your use case. 

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wireless/Access-Points/61350-UAP-AC-Lite-AU

Yeah, just run the cable into a switch, then go from the switch to other devices. Most access points now days (this includes the Ubiquiti ones I recommended) will use a PoE injector. This means you have a little box that plugs into a power outlet, then you take the cable from the switch and plug it into the "LAN" port on the injector and then take another cable from the "PoE" ports and plug it into the access point. There's no dedicated power cable running to the access point, so it can give you some more flexibility as to where you put it. 

For the switch, I assume you're not going to need more than 5 ports? 4 ports will be available for devices, as one will have to go to the cable from the router/modem. To be honest, any unmanaged gigabit port from a known brand will do. You can get metal housing switches which feel and look a bit nicer, but don't really differ much from the plastic ones. These are the ones I'd recommend, based on my personal experience with them being good:

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wired/Gigabit-Switches/51242-TL-SG105

I have the 8 port version running at home

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wired/Gigabit-Switches/51038-GS205

Had one of these for a while before replacing it with the 8 port of the version above. Never had any issues with it, I'll probably end up using it for something else in the future. 

is it my source wifi that feeds the access point... or is the access point fed through the ethernet cable?... if the AP is fed from the source wifi.. my cable modem only does wireless N speeds.... but im happy either way as long as i get a seemless transition in the ways that cell phones work with towers.. as long as there is one just one network.. one password.. one connection.. but with the two transmitters.

On 12/10/2017 at 7:35 AM, bcguru9384 said:

check out professor messor - routing

this has a 2 router system shown each router has own gateway and share same wan with no NAT issues

but you'll need routers to share wifi client tables for a straight seemless transition from wifi to wifi and inside your devices set weakhostsend/recieve=disabled so wifi adapter auto use strongest source

this is soo far beyond my understanding and it sounds complicated.

34 minutes ago, Marf85 said:

is it my source wifi that feeds the access point... or is the access point fed through the ethernet cable?... if the AP is fed from the source wifi.. my cable modem only does wireless N speeds.... but im happy either way as long as i get a seemless transition in the ways that cell phones work with towers.. as long as there is one just one network.. one password.. one connection.. but with the two transmitters.

Access point is fed through Ethernet cable. You can set it up to be fed via wifi, but you want the Ubiquiti APs to have Ethernet (It's far better)

I can tell you the handoff with ubiquiti is really smooth. I have two Ubiquiti AC Pros and devices switch between the two no issue. You can even set the Ubiquiti software to kick devices when they get too far (Signal too low) so they change over to the closest AP (Some devices are stubborn about sticking to one AP).

Thread cleaned.

If you're unwilling to help, then please, DO NOT reply.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !