AMD and Qualcomm join forces to power higher-end connected PCs

AMD and Qualcomm join forces to power higher-end connected PCs

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/05/amd-qualcomm-always-connected-pc-ryzen-snapdragon/

According to Engadget AMD and Qualcomm have partnered to bring the "Always Connected" PCs from HP and Asus. Using the Snapdragon LTE modems to enable gigabit connection speeds with Ryzen mobile CPUs. 

I remember Linus complaining of current laptops lineup not having this type of features that are so standard in our cell phones of today. Really would love to hear Linus opinion on this article.

:)

Data (and LTE for that matter) isn't anything new for laptops. It is nice to see AMD get more market share through nieche technologies.

I would love for devices beside smartphone get SIM support / data support.

Please add quotes to this post to meet the posting guidelines for Tech News and Reviews subforum:

• Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags to show that you have copied this content from another site.

Thank you in advance

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Yeah interesting, I guess eventually everything will have such suport in time. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 2017-12-05 at 9:39 PM, Matu20 said:

I would love for devices beside smartphone get SIM support / data support.

my netbook from 2010 or something had that, but since then its gone away more and more as wifi has become common

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

my netbook from 2010 or something had that, but since then its gone away more and more as wifi has become common

Feels bad :(

On 05/12/2017 at 1:17 PM, RorzNZ said:

Data (and LTE for that matter) isn't anything new for laptops. It is nice to see AMD get more market share through nieche technologies.

7 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

The difference is that it's no longer a bunch of third party drivers being hacked into Windows with custom control software.

Just like the shift from Windows 7/8 fingerprint scanners to Windows Hello fingerprint scanners, this is now an official marketing focus from Microsoft, so there's going to be a big push towards making it smooth and optimized.

10 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Like just about everywhere there is a wifi spot and you can easily make one on any phone. I still don't see this taking off unless its in a smartphone. With unlimited or very large data plans there isn't a need for another contract (or however you choose). Convenience isn't an issue either because you can turn on your hotspot from your device itself these days.

I could imagine this becoming more developed for the business sector, where employees need a tablet to catalog work and send it into the office remotely.

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Like just about everywhere there is a wifi spot and you can easily make one on any phone. I still don't see this taking off unless its in a smartphone. With unlimited or very large data plans there isn't a need for another contract (or however you choose). Convenience isn't an issue either because you can turn on your hotspot from your device itself these days.

I could imagine this becoming more developed for the business sector, where employees need a tablet to catalog work and send it into the office remotely.

you could get a data only card for the laptop and a proper plan for the phone, but yes, this is not a super usefull thing generally now that everyone carries a phone and there is wifi everywhere but the countryside

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016