[Mini News] CrossOver 17 released, and fully supports Office 2016

vanished

Source: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/announce/?t=24;mhl=203321;msg=203321#msg203321

codeweavers-logo-479x152.png

9a22d588414642af9633a8c71d1d889e.png

I am delighted to announce that CodeWeavers has just released CrossOver 17.0.0 for both macOS and Linux.  

CrossOver 17 supports Microsoft Office 2016: the latest and greatest Microsoft Office suite.  You can install Office 2016 Home and Office 2016 Business from your Office 365 account and use the full featured versions of these products.

This is a big leap forward because until now (and still at the time of writing) WineHQ reports Office 2016 support as ranging from "Garbage" to "Bronze", and 2013 as only "Silver" in most cases.  I can't remember what CrossOver was up to but if I recall correctly it was similar.

This should be good news for anyone who wants to run the latest version of Office on Linux, or even Mac and doesn't want to use the Mac version (and yes as strange as it might seem I can see someone doing this).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I don't see what people see in MS office personally, the open source ones are pretty good IMO. Haven't use MS office since around 2004 -2007 IIRC, openoffice/libreoffice etc are good alternatives. But I guess for people that are trained in MS office and can't be arsed making the change it's good. But IMO anyone that fits into that category would still be using windows too most likely.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

@Ryan_Vickers but does it support OneDrive Desktop App? :P.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

@Ryan_Vickers but does it support OneDrive Desktop App? :P.

I'm not sure but there are apparently other ways to make that work on Linux, like other apps you would use instead to sync to OneDrive

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm not sure but there are apparently other ways to make that work on Linux, like other apps you would use instead to sync to OneDrive

Instead?

The only app I use to sync stuff is OneDrive.....

That is until I get a NAS and move to platform agnostic "cloud" storage :D.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

I don't see what people see in MS office personally, the open source ones are pretty good IMO. Haven't use MS office since around 2004 -2007 IIRC, openoffice/libreoffice etc are good alternatives. But I guess for people that are trained in MS office and can't be arsed making the change it's good. But IMO anyone that fits into that category would still be using windows too most likely.

Libre and Open are basically copies of of the UI used in MS Office 2003. It's good enough for the basics, but 2007+, MS Office is far better for somewhat more niche features.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Instead?

The only app I use to sync stuff is OneDrive.....

That is until I get a NAS and move to platform agnostic "cloud" storage :D.

Yes, instead:

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/access-microsoft-onedrive-on-linux/

Just now, Drak3 said:

Libre and Open are basically copies of of the UI used in MS Office 2003. It's good enough for the basics, but 2007+, MS Office is far better for somewhat more niche features.

In addition to them being hideous and lacking a ton of features, last I checked, OpenOffice's performance (just general UI navigation) was horrendous.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh :|.

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

It's been a while but 10 years ago open source were kinda garbage.

Lacked polish and features. Spell checking was awful. Things missing or broken. 

It's probably better now (at least I'd hope so).

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

In addition to them being hideous and lacking a ton of features, last I checked, OpenOffice's performance (just general UI navigation) was horrendous.

OpenOffice is dead. LibreOffice's GUI is not the best and the performance isn't buttery smooth but that's what you get when you use C++,  Python, and Java in a word processing environment.

Just now, Trixanity said:

It's been a while but 10 years ago open source were kinda garbage.

Lacked polish and features. Spell checking was awful. Things missing or broken. 

It's probably better now (at least I'd hope so).

Honestly, If i didn't use OneDrive then I'd probably stop paying for MS Office.

LibreOffice is good enough.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

OpenOffice is dead. LibreOffice's GUI is not the best and the performance isn't buttery smooth but that's what you get when you use C++,  Python, and Java in a word processing environment.

Python and Java specifically

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Ahh I see, yes that's what I meant when I said people trained in office really. I didn't think there was much call for this is all, most workplaces would still be using MS products... I was wrong clearly, lol. I just hate that some people feel forced to buy MS products, like for school for instance I have seen them recommending to parents that their kids need MS word/office for compatability so that kids can then save/load projects at both home and school. And that's complete garbage, they just need to save in a compatible format is all, instead of using the default .doc format. I've had family/friends call me for help when they have submitted documents to places eg .odt format, and the place has called saying they need to submit in the other format. You can open .odt in office I'm pretty damn sure, they just don't know because they aren't trained well enough AND MS still have a stranglehold with the business/school communities.. I don't like that at all.

Just my two cents is all... I use libreoffice fine, have done for a long while and can't remember having any problems that couldn't be rectified. But maybe I don't use the "advanced" features.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

48 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

OpenOffice was good for its time. Libre is decent enough on Windows, but it falls short of MS office in just about every category other than price. It's better on Linux.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Does anyone that uses linux even care about the additional features that microshaft office 2016 offers over the 2013 version?

Regardless, both are extreamly over priced.

Libreoffice does everything the average user needs and it's free.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

... but that's what you get when you use Python in a word processing environment.

FTFY :D.

Spoiler

Assuming a similar level of optimization from the human programmer was implemented.