Samsung Developing Graphene Batteries

24 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Before they become viable? There was one a few years ago that could almost get 100 fold out of a battery the same size they are now. How is that not viable? 

Like I know it takes time to research and make it to production but I just hate how articles make it seem like its right around the corner. This wont be available for decades probably and if so I couldnt care less.

Articles have always done that, my pet peeve from the 80's were articles telling us of the new medical breakthroughs that would cure quadriplegia and diabetes in the next 5 years.   Still waiting.

The thing with viability is that it has to be cheaper to produce whilst meeting a requirement in the end product.  Consider when you buy a laptop, does the current battery life make the device unsalable? and would adding X more to the cost to extend battery life make it more salable?  In many cases it doesn't, because people aren't willing to pay more  for 12 hour battery life when they can plug it in after 10 (just example figures, I know it changes with device/user).  I think the classic example is electric cars, invented back in 1828 (or something stupid like that) but only becoming viable now due to shifts in power production/distribution and battery technology.   Basically I think there are lots of advances in tech sitting waiting for society to need them before they become viable. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 11/27/2017 at 10:47 PM, Shadestones said:

Is it just me, or does 500 charge cycles for only 78% retention not sound like a good thing?

Seems like it gets more full charges and a higher retention then current batteries. Personally after 1 year 365 charges my phones do seem to be around the 70% mark and only getting worse each day. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/0/six-questions-phones-battery-answered/

but typically have between 300 and 500 full cycles before they reach 70 per cent of their original capacity - equivalent to a couple of years of use, although this graph from Battery University shows that capacity begins to drop fairly quickly: